Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,539 times

Advertisements

22 year old interested in relocating after college. Wondering what sort of outdoor lifestyle is available, specifically if surfing on the east coast is an option. Anyone with experience on this sort of thing? I would really like to get into surfing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 08:40 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Cape Hatteras is one of the 3 top surfing spots on the East Coast. It is rough water so if you are a novice, I would start out somewhere else on the Outer Banks. Plenty of nice beach breaks as well as surf shops to give you lessons.

Good luck.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:45 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudly View Post
22 year old interested in relocating after college. Wondering what sort of outdoor lifestyle is available, specifically if surfing on the east coast is an option. Anyone with experience on this sort of thing? I would really like to get into surfing.
uuuuh.......

We are about 2 hours from the coast.

People do surf on the coast of NC. But not in Raleigh. The Triangle area has tons of outdoor recreation options that don't require the ocean though.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:54 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
There are plenty of surf spots at the coast. Wrightsville Beach is popular, and with I-40 being a straight-shot, an easy spot to hit. Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle have some good spots as well. The BEST place to go is OBX, specifically the Hatteras/Buxton/Frisco area.

Just beware, that surfing requires a lot of water time, and you have to be able to go at the drop of a hat, when the waves are there. It's the east coast after all, our waves here aren't consistent like they are in the Pacific ocean areas.

I get my fix by wakeboarding and wakesurfing at local lakes. If you're into watersports, this area has lots of awesome lakes.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:46 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
If you are accustomed to Pacific surfing, you will NOT be happy on the east coast.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you are accustomed to Pacific surfing, you will NOT be happy on the east coast.

Yeah I have actually never been surfing, never lived on a coast but I am an avid longboarder and wanted to give surfing a shot. The information in this thread is very helpful so if I get the chance to move I will do my best to take advantage.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:26 PM

281 posts, read 187,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudly View Post
Yeah I have actually never been surfing, never lived on a coast but I am an avid longboarder and wanted to give surfing a shot. The information in this thread is very helpful so if I get the chance to move I will do my best to take advantage.
wilmington would be ideal for relocating to be near the waves and surf at a moment's notice, but it's an easy day trip to leave Raleigh and go down and back to the beach to surf. Friends of mine do it all the time. Hardest part will be picking he beach you want to go to. Enjoy.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:24 AM

400 posts, read 526,875 times
Please don't go to Wrightsville Beach. There are already WAY WAY WAY too many surfers there and they've damn near ruined the whole place for people who just want to find a spot to go swimming. I just spent the whole summer down there and it has never been this bad. It forced me to go in before light 15-20 minutes before sunrise and even then, the army of surfers show up and all surround me on both sides anyway like I am not even there. Wrightsville is already way beyond capacity for surfers.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:06 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
Please don't go to Wrightsville Beach. .... I just spent the whole summer down there and it has never been this bad. It forced me to go in before light 15-20 minutes before sunrise....
That's shark feeding time - how has the vibe been down there since this year's attacks and maiming?

Old 10-06-2019, 08:38 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Great surf culture in Carolina Beach too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary