Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 12:27 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,559,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Hopefully whoever is on city council is more fiscally conservative. I didnt enjoy my taxes going up 10% and with the spending that happens that will continue to happen. Cant spend money without bringing more in.
Just prepare to be disappointed on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 12:32 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,042,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
How many friends do you have who are gay? Cause all my gay friends like Pride. I was just at Durhams Pride a couple of weekends ago with lots of folks from all over the Triangle. What I’m finding surprising about this thread is that it has taken this long for Raleigh to have a gay council member. That is amazingly slow to me. Chapel Hill elected Joe Herzenberg to office the first time in 1979, forty years ago, and Raleigh is just now catching up. Wow.

As do mine. I marched with my best friend (and her friends) from HS out in the Mission District/Dolores Park in SF during the height of Prop 8

I guess I am less surprised (as an outsider); vis a vis CH and Durham given the political leanings of CH/Durham and given religion (or at least certain sects) and gay don't really coexist all that well.

Doesn't Raleigh have a fairly substantial Catholic population?

Old 10-13-2019, 12:59 PM

4,485 posts, read 3,694,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Ford was President when Black History month was first observed in 1976, not the 60's. #history

You spoke of recent legislation the republicans passed that has been anti-black. I really have no way of searching for "anti black republican legislation". Can you provide some examples, please? I am genuinely interested.

I'm a millennial, who works in an extremely high % gay industry. Like pretty much all males are gay high %. And most are super cool, I like to hang with them more than the drama queen women!!

It's just a philosophical difference in opinion. You feel various groups receiving praise for "contributing to society" should be a function of government. I do not*. That doesn't make me racist, or middle aged, or anti-gay, or an ahole.

If you have to call out diversity, isn't that really kinda racist in a backwards way? By that I mean, I would think most minorities just want to be treated like whites are, that is, like a person, without being treated "special".

I'm not upset about the council members sexual orientation. As I stated in my first post, I'm curious as to their background to make them qualified to say the things they are wanting to do and spend taxpayer monies.

*the one exception I make is memorial and veterans days.

Nobody cares about what the Republican party did in the past. It's good to learn about that era in history, but it doesn't help today. Especially when the party claims that "there were good people on both sides" at an alt-right rally in VA. (Not going against the dumb President about stupid comments is the same thing).

If there are minority groups that are contributing to society, then they should be a part of government if they are qualified. Why should we only have "regular" white males in government? But I agree that there shouldn't be spaces "reserved" for minorities just because we want diversity.

Yeah sure, everyone wants to be treated like whites. But is that even possible with the stupid comments coming from DC itself? I would say the Triangle has been the best place I've lived so far where there's a good diversity of races, religions, politics and not everyone gets into each other's faces with stereotypes, etc.

Why do you think the "whole month celebration thing" is a waste of time? Does it bother you that we have an African-American history month and not a "White european history month?" Are you proud of the Triangle area for having such events such as African-American cultural celebration, Jewish-American celebration, Internation festival of Raleigh, Chinese New year, Cary Diwali?

None of your posts on this board sound like a millennial, btw.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:22 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,267,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Doesn't Raleigh have a fairly substantial Catholic population?
Not that I am aware of. I think the Catholic population is relatively small throughout the South until you get to Louisiana. Don’t think Raleigh has many more than anywhere else in NC relative to population. Certainly far more evangelicals and Baptist and Protestants of other denominations. Raleigh is fairly diverse with quite a few Jews, Mormons, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, and atheists too. I imagine City-Data has stats on that if you want to dig it up.

(Edited to add) Here ya go, I dug it up.
Catholics are 11% of the pop. Is that substantial to you? It’s less than non-religious (53%) and less than Evangelicals (18%), and about the same as mainline Protestant. Interestingly the Catholic population has grown since 2000 though not as fast as Evangelicals or non-religious. I would imagine that is all due to transplants to Raleigh. When I think of churches in Raleigh it’s Hayes Barton Baptist that springs to mind. That’s more traditional Raleigh. They are a pretty liberal For Baptists.

Scroll way down for religion info: //www.city-data.com/city/Raleig...-Carolina.html

Last edited by poppydog; 10-13-2019 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-13-2019, 01:26 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,141,009 times
Quote:
How many friends do you have who are gay? Cause all my gay friends like Pride. I was just at Durhams Pride a couple of weekends ago with lots of folks from all over the Triangle. What I’m finding surprising about this thread is that it has taken this long for Raleigh to have a gay council member. That is amazingly slow to me. Chapel Hill elected Joe Herzenberg to office the first time in 1979, forty years ago, and Raleigh is just now catching up. Wow.
and since 1985, I have neither voted against nor for a candidate based on their sexuality or gender. Just their qualifications.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Nobody cares about what the Republican party did in the past. It's good to learn about that era in history, but it doesn't help today. Especially when the party claims that "there were good people on both sides" at an alt-right rally in VA. (Not going against the dumb President about stupid comments is the same thing).

This the the argument I laugh at most in these discussions; people would do well to at least realize that a Party and a Platform can and do (and have) change over time.

They like to claim "we're the Party of Lincoln" like anything in the platform in the last 40 years even resembles what Lincoln stood for....

If you simply jump from 1860 to today and say "see, the party name is the same" you literally miss out on some massive things worth pointing out.

1. Democrats, in the 19th century, were the Party of State's Rights. They hated centralized government in the form of DC and wanted it curtailed and limited (hmmm sounds similar to what Grover Nordquist would say, "I want Federal Government so small you could drowned it in a bathtub")

2. Republicans, as a party formed, 1854, directly as a challenge to the Kansas-Nebraska Act, that you guessed it, was largely a "New States can choose to be slavery or non...because State's Rights"

However, in more modern times, there are three events that literally flipped "the party and the platform" and one that galvanized that change.

1. The Election of 1928, where Republican Herbert Hoover employed the first "Southern Strategy" against his Democratic Nominee, Al Smith of New York, who happened to be a Catholic. Hoover played the whole "Catholics are a cult who have allegiance to the Pope" all over the South (majority Protestant population) and broke the Democratic firewall that was the South for 70 years.

2. Civil Rights Act, Ending Jim Crow and Barry Goldwater - Parties literally flipped over Civil Rights. From Reconstruction to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the South voted en masse for the Democratic candidate. It largely hasn't since. This is the split that Left the "Rockefeller Republicans" without a dance partner and basically ended the moderate wing of the Republican Party.

3. Nixon's Southern Strategy in 1968 - I mean if you want to doubt that, Harry Dent and Strom Thurmond would like to have a word.....and they directly impacted Lee Atwater's strategies in the 80s-90s.

4. Roe V Wade brings the Religious Right on board and god is mentioned in the Republican Party Platform for the first time since the 1910s.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Not that I am aware of. I think the Catholic population is relatively small throughout the South until you get to Louisiana. Don’t think Raleigh has many more than anywhere else in NC relative to population. Certainly far more evangelicals and Baptist and Protestants of other denominations. Raleigh is fairly diverse with quite a few Jews, Mormons, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, and atheists too. I imagine City-Data has stats on that if you want to dig it up.

The number of Catholics has almost quadrupled in the state since 1990, and according to this (written in 2014), is the dominate denomination in Wake and Orange counties.

https://www.ncdemography.org/2014/06...iation-rising/

Old 10-13-2019, 01:32 PM

I would have sworn we were discussing 2 gay newly-elected local officials in an officially non-partisan election.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I would have sworn we were discussing 2 gay newly-elected local officials in an officially non-partisan election.

Where was your concern 3 pages back?

Old 10-13-2019, 01:35 PM

I wasn't on the forum Friday night after 7. I checked in yesterday afternoon, and posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary