Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 02:16 PM

289 posts, read 255,130 times

Advertisements

Our property was cited for a violation regarding an unpermitted expanded driveway/parking area that was installed years before we purchased the house. Does anybody have experience with a similar situation?

I have been dealing with this mess now for over three months. The code enforcement officer who issued the notice is a "nice" guy, and he readily admits that the violation is ridiculous BS, but HE STILL WROTE ME UP!!

Oh, and the main issue (aside from producing revenue for the city) is about the surface permeability. Guess what, the expanded driveway in question is composed of gravel. We have more runoff from our grass area then we do from the gravel driveway!

We are required to have the property re-surveyed, and hire an engineer to perform some bs calculations. By the way, the driveway is sloped toward the house, so even if there was additional runoff due to impermeability, it still wouldn't leave my property!

One more detail I almost forgot to mention. The city is taking part of my front yard away (eminent domain). Yay!

Any advice? Is there any way to fight this (realistically and cost effectively)?

If not, can you recommend residential land surveyors that you've used? Engineers for this type of thing?

Thanks,
Carlos

Last edited by carlito2002wgn; 10-14-2019 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 02:17 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,012,647 times
Tell them to go sue the people who originally did it. I fail to see how you can be cited that wasn't done by you.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Tell them to go sue the people who originally did it. I fail to see how you can be cited that wasn't done by you.
Right. I think it is all BS all the way around, but they told me that they see this all the time. It doesn't matter who did it or when it was done, or if it makes any sense at all. The current owner is on the hook and responsible.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:24 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,012,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2002wgn View Post
Right. I think it is all BS all the way around, but they told me that they see this all the time. It doesn't matter who did it or when it was done, or if it makes any sense at all. The current owner is on the hook and responsible.
Talk to a lawyer then. One who is local to the area. If they see it all the time then someone has gone to court over it.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:42 PM

423 posts, read 462,061 times
Unless you have an "engineered porous aggregate" that is designed to be porous, which is highly doubtful, the AHJ is going to consider gravel to be an impervious surface. Certain types of aggregate are designed to be non-compacting which would make it porous.

It doesn't matter which way it flows, whether it leaves the yard or not, they are just doing a quick calculation of the impervious surfaces, house roof, driveways, patios, etc. against the total lot size. Do you know what your impervious surface limit is (ie, which of the watershed areas are you in) and what you are currently at. Raleigh IMAPs will give you all this info. I would want to know if I was a few SF over, or hundreds of SF over the limit. While you can install mitigation methods to increase your percentage (retention is one example), it will need to be designed by an Engineer to prove exactly what it is designed to capture. I know for my house if I pull the Septic permit from IMAPs the previously used impervious surface, vs. allowed is on the plan.

Completely agree with you that it sucks you are getting stuck with the previous owners actions.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:02 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Nope, being from Long Island this happens all the time - once you buy a house its problems are yours. Long Island is the land of unpermitted finished basements, expanded/dormered 2nd floors, illegal rentals, decks - basically you name it they got it. I see Raleigh has caught up to this being a moneymaker for them.

OP if you don't need the driveway, my advise is put it back the way it was.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:06 PM

It's all about the money. Revenue revenue revenue! And the people get screwed.

Unfortunately, the extra parking area is needed.

Oh, and guess what else? The city is taking part of my front yard (eminent domain). Aren't I lucky?

Old 10-14-2019, 03:45 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
It's all about the money. Revenue revenue revenue! And the people get screwed.

Unfortunately, the extra parking area is needed.

Oh, and guess what else? The city is taking part of my front yard (eminent domain). Aren't I lucky?
Be thankful you don't live in NY or CA. The permitting and inspection process there is over the top. Example in some localities you must buy a permit to remove a tree on your yard.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:25 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
I was not aware they are going back BEFORE the impermeable surface regulations went into effect and enforcing it. Frankly, it's kind of impossible to do so. For example, there are single family homes WAY over the % cap for their zoning. I'm talking like 90%+ impermeable, but that was not part of the zoning when they were built.

Now, if the code guy is saying someone before you did this AFTER the rules went into place - then sure.

I suppose he's giving you the "it looks like you're in violation, go prove you're not"? Would you then get a variance, or be forced to remove some impervious surface?

Old 10-14-2019, 05:34 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
They can be kind of ridiculous about sand and gravel. Even a sand riding ring, which drains freely downward will be called impervious. Why? Because riding horses on it supposedly packs it down. Yeah like asphalt? No.

So the car driving on your driveway extension must really pack it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary