Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 07:59 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Admission ticket price wasn't the main culprit of stickershock and wallet pain. In visiting 4 food stands (splitting the food and cost at 3 of them) and one ride on the sky-rider Ferris wheel......I spent over $60 just on myself.
What is 60 bucks? Peanuts these days. And you only do this once a year. You probably spend more on your cell phone bill or cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 08:15 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
What is 60 bucks? Peanuts these days. And you only do this once a year. You probably spend more on your cell phone bill or cable.
For me myself.....it was not a major financial stretch.

For a family of 4 or 5 on a fixed income? Likely a different story.

My point was not "I can't spend $75 for one night at the Fair so I won't be going back"

But rather that as prices increase; those costs add up especially for families with kids (arguably the fair's most significant target demographic)....thus said increasing prices are likely a significant factor in the downward trend of Fair attendence numbers.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:08 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
I went with family and friends last Friday. Great weather but surprisingly didn't feel crowded.

I've been to the fair every year for the past 6 years, my observations this year:
1) Food prices went up.
2) Carnival games went up (most $5 per game).
3) Large ferris wheel was in odd location behind Dorton Arena.
4) Fireworks moved to the pond. Not a lot of people watched it.

Everything else was pretty much the same every year, exhibits, food stands, were almost in the same locations.
Perhaps people are getting bored as nothing new and exciting?

Old 10-29-2019, 10:30 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
They had to move the fireworks because there are now apartments next to the previous launch site.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:36 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
For me myself.....it was not a major financial stretch.

For a family of 4 or 5 on a fixed income? Likely a different story.

My point was not "I can't spend $75 for one night at the Fair so I won't be going back"

But rather that as prices increase; those costs add up especially for families with kids (arguably the fair's most significant target demographic)....thus said increasing prices are likely a significant factor in the downward trend of Fair attendence numbers.
Especially true for people who travel....we are looking at this as a local amenity. But people come from all over to go the fair.

I don't mind spending money, and like to spend it on experiences. However, the fair often made me feel like "what did I get for that" upon leaving. Haven't been in a few years, kids have gone. DD did a couple rides, played some games, and dropped $60. She might have had one thing to eat but not sure, and if she did it was something basic.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:43 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
2 adults, 3 kids, no rides except for the SkyRider (and some really nice people walking by gave us 2 free tix!), no games.

Elephant ear, funnel cake, 4 corn dogs, 1 lemonade with 3 refills, 1 stuffed animal = about $100, not counting admission.

It's a bit much for a few hours of walking around in the heat collecting stickers and free pencils, but it was fun.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:30 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Quote:
Admission ticket price wasn't the main culprit of stickershock and wallet pain. In visiting 4 food stands (splitting the food and cost at 3 of them) and one ride on the sky-rider Ferris wheel......I spent over $60 just on myself.
I agree. I just realized that we haven't been to the fair since our son was in middle school. He's 31 now. Back then it was expensive to us, our son would ride some rides, we'd play a couple of games and eat a few things and we'd be out close to $100. I'd rather spend that money on something else. Plus as I've gotten older, I've developed even less tolerance for crowds.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:34 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I went with family and friends last Friday. Great weather but surprisingly didn't feel crowded.

I've been to the fair every year for the past 6 years, my observations this year:
1) Food prices went up.
2) Carnival games went up (most $5 per game).
3) Large ferris wheel was in odd location behind Dorton Arena.
4) Fireworks moved to the pond. Not a lot of people watched it.

Everything else was pretty much the same every year, exhibits, food stands, were almost in the same locations.
Perhaps people are getting bored as nothing new and exciting?
Those things might be it... and the rain... but as I said previously, I attended on two usually PEAK days and it didn't crowded at all. Easily navigable. I also have business dealings in the area, and traffic was never THAT bad.

I'd be curious to see a demo breakdown of attendees and see which demo profiles are increasing, decreasing and remaining stagnant over the past 5 years.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:59 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

I'd be curious to see a demo breakdown of attendees and see which demo profiles are increasing, decreasing and remaining stagnant over the past 5 years.
That would be interesting. I would think the numbers of older Fair lovers are dropping off, but don’t know for sure.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:26 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
How/Where would they get the data? I would question the validity of any such report, as I saw no one making any notes, etc as people were entering the fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary