Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 09:33 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
They have peripheral vision. They know you're there. They also know you're far enough away to have plenty of time to slow down.
Nope they don't always. They walk out in front of cars frequently. They get hit, too. Heard the sirens just a few weeks ago for a 19 year old young woman who was hit on Franklin Street near Estes. She was in the crosswalk, too, but must not have seen the car coming. Obviously the driver's fault, but the students absolutely will walk out in front of cars at crosswalks and not at crosswalks. The town has tried to do what they can w/o the DOT by installing flashing yellow lights that the pedestrians can activate, but there was one of those at that Franklin Street incident. Not sure if she didn't push it or if the driver of the car ignored it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 09:43 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
I drive through campus a couple times a week. There are crosswalks everywhere, and people use them. You are supposed to slow down for each one.
Of course I slow down for pedestrians at crosswalks. It’s the pedestrians who don’t used the crosswalks that I worry about.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:45 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
I think we need a description of what does "walking out in front of cars at crosswalks" means to people. How far of a buffer do I need to give cars before I walk across a crosswalk? (that drivers are supposed to yield to pedestrians at)

Old 10-18-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Nope they don't always. They walk out in front of cars frequently. They get hit, too. Heard the sirens just a few weeks ago for a 19 year old young woman who was hit on Franklin Street near Estes. She was in the crosswalk, too, but must not have seen the car coming. Obviously the driver's fault, but the students absolutely will walk out in front of cars at crosswalks and not at crosswalks. The town has tried to do what they can w/o the DOT by installing flashing yellow lights that the pedestrians can activate, but there was one of those at that Franklin Street incident. Not sure if she didn't push it or if the driver of the car ignored it.
I almost hit a kid one day on Country Club Road. He walked right out from behind a parked truck without even looking. I missed him by inches.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
They have peripheral vision. They know you're there. They also know you're far enough away to have plenty of time to slow down.
Well, they’re living dangerously then

Old 10-18-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I think we need a description of what does "walking out in front of cars at crosswalks" means to people. How far of a buffer do I need to give cars before I walk across a crosswalk? (that drivers are supposed to yield to pedestrians at)
Well for me, as a pedestrian, if I am at a cross walk that does not have a traffic light or walk signal, I look to see that I either have more than enough time to walk across (not run) w/o the car slowing down and/or I look to see if the driver of the car sees me and is slowing down for me. I'm not stepping out in a crosswalk unless one or both of those things are true.

As a driver, I try to be constantly aware, but it is nerve-wracking sometimes driving down Franklin Street when you never know when a student is going to start crossing in front of you. So many of them dull their senses by having ear buds in too.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I almost hit a kid one day on Country Club Road. He walked right out from behind a parked truck without even looking. I missed him by inches.
I believe it. Their pre-frontal cortexes are not fully developed yet. Don't always have good judgement.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:58 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,444 times
Knock on wood I never have been even remotely close to being hit by a car while crossing a street. I learned to look both ways and wait until there are zero cars even remotely coming at you.

I don't get how this happens so often. Perhaps they need to teach crossing a road techniques in grade school. Either way sad story and heart breaking for the families.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well for me, as a pedestrian, if I am at a cross walk that does not have a traffic light or walk signal, I look to see that I either have more than enough time to walk across (not run) w/o the car slowing down and/or I look to see if the driver of the car sees me and is slowing down for me. I'm not stepping out in a crosswalk unless one or both of those things are true.

As a driver, I try to be constantly aware, but it is nerve-wracking sometimes driving down Franklin Street when you never know when a student is going to start crossing in front of you. So many of them dull their senses by having ear buds in too.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:38 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
Q-tips hanging from ears of pedestrian in a crosswalk is scary, and so are quiet cars they never hear...

read the last part of:

https://carycitizen.com/2019/10/18/o...c-car-in-cary/

OT (I drove over 10 sharrows today)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary