Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 04:20 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
Definitely stay away from the vine gar. They'll drop a piece of bacon in a bucket of vine gar and call it BBQ.
Sounds like you never ate good barbecue. Drive down to Ayden and try The Skylight Inn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 05:25 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,815,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Yeah! What planet is he from anyway?
Right? We all know Eastern Barbeque is so much better than Western. Vinegar based is the best! When I moved to the mountains, I was worried I'd never have the good stuff again.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:29 PM

852 posts, read 587,143 times
Default Somewhat Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studat4 View Post
Hello
We are not from North Carolina, but we have been to some pig pickins before. Does anyone have recommendations for a place that does a good job but at a fair price? Thank you!

Does the OP want a recommendation for a place to go to a pig picking or does he/she want a firm to cater to his/her location and cook a pig? Big difference. Our HOA once had Ole Time BBQ (of Raleigh) bring a pig in the cooker (cooked) to our location, along with the appropriate sides. Pretty good as I remember. Don't know the cost. Call some of the previously mentioned places for prices.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:41 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,642,290 times
Indignant discussion of eastern vs. western sauce is hilarious. They're BOTH mostly vinegar. Western just has a small amount of ketchup in it. The difference is minute.

And I have the same question as Corgi Dad...waht is the OP looking for? A restaurant has presents a pig pickin' (doesn't really exist) or a caterer that will come do one?

Old 10-21-2019, 07:04 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,056,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Indignant discussion of eastern vs. western sauce is hilarious. They're BOTH mostly vinegar. Western just has a small amount of ketchup in it. The difference is minute.

And I have the same question as Corgi Dad...waht is the OP looking for? A restaurant has presents a pig pickin' (doesn't really exist) or a caterer that will come do one?
Would you consider “Sticky Fingers” Carolina Sweet a Western Carolina style BBQ sauce?

If so, saying that and say Scott’s are similar is like saying a tire iron has only minute differences from an Apple.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Would you consider “Sticky Fingers” Carolina Sweet a Western Carolina style BBQ sauce?
No I wouldn't (nor would anyone else who's knowledgeable on the subject) because thats not true western NC style sauce. Western (or Lexington) style sauce is mostly vinegar with a small amount of ketchup and sometimes little brown sugar. Its almost as thin and just as vinegary as eastern style. Its not thick and sweet.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
No I wouldn't (nor would anyone else who's knowledgeable on the subject) because thats not true western NC style sauce. Western (or Lexington) style sauce is mostly vinegar with a small amount of ketchup and sometimes little brown sugar. Its almost as thin and just as vinegary as eastern style. Its not thick and sweet.
So there is no such thing as a “Thick, Sweet, Western Carolina BBQ” Sauce.

There’s nothing “West” of Lexington?

Old 10-21-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
So there is no such thing as a “Thick Western Carolina BBQ” Sauce.

There’s nothing West of Lexington?
No idea what your point is, other than you just want to argue for no reason. True western (or Lexington) style bbq sauce is thin and mostly vinegar. The thick sweet stuff is from elsewhere. Just because someone packages something and gives it a similar name means nothing.

"Before I moved here, all I really knew was KC or Texas BBQ sauce..." Then don't argue with a native, ok?

Old 10-21-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
No idea what your point is, other than you just want to argue for no reason. Western (or Lexington) style sauce is thin and mostly vinegar. The thick sweet stuff is from elsewhere. Just because someone packages something and gives it a similar name means nothing.
I’m not trying to argue at all, this is y’all’s ish. I’m just a Yankee asking questions.

Here’s all I do know. When at The Pit, my wife uses the “Western” Sauce and it may as well be Sweet Baby Rays in terms of consistency/viscosity

If that isn’t “True Western NC” then cool.

I obviously don’t want to use the wrong nomenclature

Old 10-21-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
"Before I moved here, all I really knew was KC or Texas BBQ sauce..." Then don't argue with a native, ok?
Take is easy, Blackbeard.

I’m asking honest questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary