Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times

Advertisements

My wife would really like to have a white hydrangea added to our landscape. I know I've seen them for sale in local nuseries. Do they do well here in our local climate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,427 times
NRG ours do very well provided they are watered correctly especially if they are in full sun. If you miss a watering they will let you know....they will wilt like my hair on a humid day. But with proper care they look great! Ours has about 75% shade most of the day and they do fine!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
My wife would really like to have a white hydrangea added to our landscape. I know I've seen them for sale in local nuseries. Do they do well here in our local climate?
I planted one last year and it did VERY well and is off to a great start this year. I have one called 'lime light'.

One note though....they like water. Be prepared to make sure they get plenty during dry times. I have a rain barrel I use and it goes mostly for this one plant!

Still, it's been worth it.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
They better do well here because I just transplanted 12 I brought with me from my Atlanta garden. I don't see how they can thrive in Atlanta and not do well here. Just make sure they stay out of the bright summer sun and if they start to wilt give them extra water. And keep track of what kind you have planted because pruning is different for different types. Good Luck BTW they also make beautiful porch plants. You could enjoy a gallon plant on your porch and then plant it in the garden in the fall.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 PM

150 posts, read 506,851 times
Funny you should ask....
My neighbor and his wife noticed what they thought were hydrangeas in our yard (or knew were rhododendrons but purchased hydrangeas thinking they were rhododendrons by accident-I am still not sure especially since they look so different), in a garden bed under the stairs to our deck. We had transplanted them from the front yard where they were miserable in full sun.
Anyhow, they asked us lot's of questions and decided to plant the hydrangeas in the same spot under their deck stairs (about 3 weeks ago). The hydrangeas have been thriving! Just the right amount of sun and shade. They get pretty direct sun in the afternoon. As someone pointed out-make sure to water them, or they will let you know they are unhappy!

Best of luck!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:07 PM

Thanks! This is very encouraging. I have what I think would be a perfect spot on the back corner of my house that gets part shade (morning sun and shade in the hot afternoon). I also have a rain barrel which I will be more than happy to use to water a hydrangea! Thanks for the tips!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:40 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,309 times
Do NOT plant a hydrangea in full sun!! In summer you will be needing to water the stupid thing twice a day to keep it from completely wilting. I hadn't been around these plants since I was a kid, then moved into a house where the previous owner had planted three hydrangeas in one of the only full-sun areas of our backyard (all wrong -- like every other planting they did). They are a complete pain to maintain in the summer -- this autumn I'm moving them to a shadier bed. They need partial shade/dappled light. One website I've seen claims that in nature hydrangeas grow deep in the woods. Be careful. I love their blooms and they have few problems generally, but their intolerance of sun and summer heat can make them really high maintenance in terms of watering.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 AM

What should I expect to pay for a healthy hydrangea? I think I've seen them for around $25. Is that pretty common?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:45 AM

47 posts, read 195,286 times
Morning sun.. afternoon shade (well drained soil). The Endless Summer variety will bloom spring-fall (pink or blue blossoms).

Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 AM

47 posts, read 195,286 times
That's about what we paid-- we go to either Homewood Nursery or Logan's-- you can count on thier plants being healthy..... (Homewood warranties their plants- you get one free replacement of each plant you buy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary