Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 12:57 PM

54 posts, read 41,274 times

Advertisements

So we have a great new construction home, and the HVAC seems to be doing a fair job. But we’ve got one corner room I’m using as an office where unfortunately the sun is keeping it 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the floor, even with blinds closed (which I don’t want to do) and ceiling fan and central air fan on.

Any reasonable solutions? Anyone have experience with portable AC units?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 01:02 PM

792 posts, read 4,475,632 times
Sounds like an airflow problem. Why not ask the builder to take a look? It could be something a simple as a flex duct pinched, disconnected, or a partially closed damper.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,326,240 times
Plant a tree to provide shade.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:23 PM

16,349 posts, read 12,329,286 times
UV film really helps a lot. It's cheap at Lowes or Home Depot, and easy to apply. It's the cheapest route to try first.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:28 PM

1,246 posts, read 645,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Sounds like an airflow problem. Why not ask the builder to take a look? It could be something a simple as a flex duct pinched, disconnected, or a partially closed damper.
This should be your first move. You have spent some coin on the builder, he should respond with his solution.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:38 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,875,295 times
A fan can help too just for a quick fix.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:06 PM

4,217 posts, read 3,133,482 times
System likely needs to be balanced. Typically the HVAC subcontractor will come back out and adjust.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:54 PM

773 posts, read 361,116 times
Two-story house? Is the office on the first or second floor?

The room I use for an office is the smallest bedroom on the second floor and I have summer heat/winter cold issues there.

Neighbor with the same floor plan uses the same room and he said that he has the same problem. Our houses are perpendicular to each other, so it doesn't seem to be a sun/lack-of-sun issue.

Maybe they just don't put enough insulation up there or as someone else mentioned, the flexible ductwork gets pinched/kinked...

BTW, I have two complete HVAC systems - one for upstairs and one for down (twice the repair bills - yay!). But I've been thankful for that when one or the other was having problems and the other was working fine.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:37 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 2 days ago)

43,067 posts, read 76,614,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsarinaO View Post
So we have a great new construction home, and the HVAC seems to be doing a fair job. But we’ve got one corner room I’m using as an office where unfortunately the sun is keeping it 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the floor, even with blinds closed (which I don’t want to do) and ceiling fan and central air fan on.

Any reasonable solutions? Anyone have experience with portable AC units?
Do you close the door on your office?
This might hamper good air return movement.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:54 PM
ERH

1,696 posts, read 2,511,387 times
My first house in Florida faced due west, and the front room's western wall was almost entirely windows. This was a cheap tract home built in 1994, so insulation and windows were minimum standard. That room was consistently 20-30 degrees hotter than the rest of the house -- MISERABLE! We tried window film, all kinds of window treatments, planted a large viburnum tree (Florida's version of the crape myrtle, at the time), and put up a trellis and covered it with night-blooming jasmine. All helped, but ultimately nothing solved the problem. We were just starting out, so no way to afford adding an in-wall room A/C (and I was too vain to go the window A/C route). We suffered with it for a few years before we moved to NC.

Get the portable A/C if it turns out your central A/C and ductwork is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: