Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 08:39 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so you don't understand what this is about?

There's absolutely ZERO plans to get rid of the Farmer's Market.
Correct. The issue is what happens to today's Farmer's Market and what type of Farmer's Market there will be someday.

Reference the actual document: https://www.ncagr.gov/paffairs/relea...lanSummary.pdf

Seems clear to me that the wholesale activity would be moved somewhere else. Problem is, many of the retailers say that moving out the wholesalers would screw the retailers. Also seems clear to me that the Park Edge area -- which I believe is the northward extension of the NCDA tract that the non-profits now sit on -- is earmarked for "a mix of residential options in the form of townhouses, apartments, and condominiums in addition to office and retail spaces". So although no current building of the Farmer's Market per se would be replaced with condos, it does appear to be the plan to put condos on the NCDA tract. Why in heaven's name the NCDA would ever get into the condo business is beyond me. And by earmarking that land for condos and other purposes, the NCDA is essentially forcing the wholesalers off the tract... and that's what irritated the retailers in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 08:35 AM

329 posts, read 249,732 times
Myself or any other farmer can tell you that using NCDA property to build condos does not help farmers in anyway.

Therefore, why do it? Build them elsewhere.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:26 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
I lived in Raleigh for 16 years, and revisit these forums every once in a while to keep up with what is going on there. The Farmer’s Market is my absolute favorite place in Raleigh! All those colorful peppers piled high, fresh frost bitten collards in the winter, organic greenhouse strawberries in the winter as well... Makes my so sad to think it would go away!

Old 11-08-2019, 02:35 PM

459 posts, read 372,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Makes my so sad to think it would go away!
Who said it was going away? Some one link me to a real comment by a real person from the NC Department of Agriculture that says that the farmer's market will go away.

The city of Raleigh does NOT own the farmer's market. It's owned by State of North Carolina. If you have issues with anything involving the farmer's market, petitioning the city is not going to do anything.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:23 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
N&O article: https://t.co/wpoHpoVOne?amp=1

Old 11-09-2019, 08:46 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Wouldn't adding housing in that area benefit the farmers market with increased sales?

Old 11-09-2019, 08:52 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Wouldn't adding housing in that area benefit the farmers market with increased sales?
Taking a step back, I think adding some houses/development on the edges of the park does make some sense. Right now Dix Park is a little bit isolated from the residential neighborhoods in that area of Raleigh (separated by the Prison, Morehead School, Pullen Park, NC State, cathedral, Centennial Campus, Farmers Market, etc....). Some housing/development can definitely help it develop the feeling that it is a part of the city and easily accessible by its residents.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:58 PM

9 posts, read 3,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Signed and shared.

May I suggest that you also post this on the other NC City-Data forums? I'm confident that many residents in areas outside The Triangle would be against this.
Great idea & I think you're right. Signed also & will share on social media.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:34 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Correct. The issue is what happens to today's Farmer's Market and what type of Farmer's Market there will be someday.

Reference the actual document: https://www.ncagr.gov/paffairs/relea...lanSummary.pdf

Seems clear to me that the wholesale activity would be moved somewhere else. Problem is, many of the retailers say that moving out the wholesalers would screw the retailers. Also seems clear to me that the Park Edge area -- which I believe is the northward extension of the NCDA tract that the non-profits now sit on -- is earmarked for "a mix of residential options in the form of townhouses, apartments, and condominiums in addition to office and retail spaces". So although no current building of the Farmer's Market per se would be replaced with condos, it does appear to be the plan to put condos on the NCDA tract. Why in heaven's name the NCDA would ever get into the condo business is beyond me. And by earmarking that land for condos and other purposes, the NCDA is essentially forcing the wholesalers off the tract... and that's what irritated the retailers in the first place.
Quote:
Christina Ogden is the executive director of the Food Runners Collaborative, which manages the building that also houses the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle and Meals on Wheels. They moved there in 2004, have a 45-year lease. and aren’t concerned about the master plan.

“They’ve assured us that nothing is being considered for this area in the near-future,” she said. “Anything for this land would be in phase five and that wouldn’t be until another 40 or 50 years from now.” The nonprofits could, possibly outgrow their space by then.
this really is all about the wholesalers. It would be nice to have an honest discussion around that. I was not aware they sold produce to the stall operators (per the N&O link). I did know they ran their wholesale operations out of the area behind all the public areas, and that they BOUGHT from farmers at stalls to be distributed elsewhere.

That just makes good sense - farmers bring their harvested crops up and sell them for 3-10 days (and this is a SWAG, I have no idea how long their inventory sits their). What they don't sell goes to the wholesalers, who then have restaurant, grocery, etc accounts.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:10 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundzerk View Post
Great idea & I think you're right. Signed also & will share on social media.
Good on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: