Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 02:58 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
Maybe some suggestions for other cafés...
The Third Place Coffeeshop - About - The Third Place

Great little coffee shop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 07:42 AM

644 posts, read 842,330 times
Remind me to ask businesses to turn off a certain channel that gets played everywhere. Certain someones in power use extremely derogatory language.

Cocoa Cinnamon is awesome; they do a ton to support coffee growers that are domestic as well as international. I've had lovely conversations there with strangers and friends.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:08 PM

131 posts, read 144,887 times
Ok, boomer.

By the by, I LOVE cocoa cinnamon, particularly that one. It's the best cocoa cinnamon for getting work done. Shame I didn't know about this event. Sounds like I missed a fun night.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:37 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
Ok, boomer.
I work with a lot of boomers. When I was hired here a half decade ago the people I was working with (roughly 40,000 direct coworkers) were literally twice my age if not more. The vast majority of the company of 110,000 were older and boomers.

Hoenstly I've learned a lot. Guess what - they are people just like us. As we grow older we will inherit their thoughts as well. I keep being brought back to seeing my mom telling me "you think I was born yesterday?!?" when I was a little kid trying to sneak something by her. It's not like these boomers haven't been there done that and the younger generation acts all arrogant and think they know everything about the world. Boomers saw the direct after effects of WWII, served in two large scale conflicts (Korea and Vietnam) and lived through the Cold War that would make today's worries afterthoughts. They developed the tech we take for granted today. They have accomplished a whole heck of a lot and did so while also unpinning large scale social change such as women's, minority, and gay rights.

That being said, as time goes on, liberalism gives way to realistic thoughts on the world as experience is gained. You start to notice the difference in those who worked and invested first vs those who live life on the ragged edge yet demand free stuff like we are seeing today (healthcare, college, housing). And it erks you. I see it myself in my own extended family.

Dismissing their thoughts such as you do only serves to exemplify arrogance on your part. Further missed is the fact that the OP is black himself, and most likely not even a "boomer".

Old 11-10-2019, 05:39 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Boomers were the biggest beneficiary's of a wave of deregulation sheparded under the Reagan administration to the detriment of the future

Homeownership without a degree was easy and achievable
Jobs with pensions were plentiful
They benefitted most from the cheap good of globalization that hollowed out our economic ladders and forced us to converge in packed cities for meaningful work...where they already occupied the best land

Nothing really personifies this for me than the boomers in CA sitting on ranchers worth a million dollars while a millennial is expected to navigate th cutthroat silicon valley gauntlet

Or even here many boomers sitting in ranchers or north eastern retirees moving in and living on acres while millennials raise families in townhouse

The wealth gap between the generations is documented and Stark while millennials are on all metrics better educated and qualified than their counterparts

I'm not even liberal bit at some level the powers that be need to see dispensations are needed before the barricades go up. And it's obvious to me these Dynamics are core drivers of our political woes

I have no Boomer hate and love my Boomer parents but it's obvious to me history will look poorly on them

Old 11-10-2019, 05:47 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Boomers were the biggest beneficiary's of a wave of deregulation sheparded under the Reagan administration to the detriment of the future

Homeownership without a degree was easy and achievable
Jobs with pensions were plentiful
They benefitted most from the cheap good of globalization that hollowed out our economic ladders and forced us to converge in packed cities for meaningful work...where they already occupied the best land

Nothing really personifies this for me than the boomers in CA sitting on ranchers worth a million dollars while a millennial is expected to navigate th cutthroat silicon valley gauntlet

Or even here many boomers sitting in ranchers or north eastern retirees moving in and living on acres while millennials raise families in townhouse

The wealth gap between the generations is documented and Stark while millennials are on all metrics better educated and qualified than their counterparts

I'm not even liberal bit at some level the powers that be need to see dispensations are needed before the barricades go up. And it's obvious to me these Dynamics are core drivers of our political woes

I have no Boomer hate and love my Boomer parents but it's obvious to me history will look poorly on them
Sorry, but you're wrong on most of your points and whiny and delusional on the rest.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:50 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,155 times
Quote:
boomers were the biggest beneficiary's of a wave of deregulation sheparded under the reagan administration to the detriment of the future

homeownership without a degree was easy and achievable
jobs with pensions were plentiful
they benefitted most from the cheap good of globalization that hollowed out our economic ladders and forced us to converge in packed cities for meaningful work...where they already occupied the best land

nothing really personifies this for me than the boomers in ca sitting on ranchers worth a million dollars while a millennial is expected to navigate th cutthroat silicon valley gauntlet

or even here many boomers sitting in ranchers or north eastern retirees moving in and living on acres while millennials raise families in townhouse

the wealth gap between the generations is documented and stark while millennials are on all metrics better educated and qualified than their counterparts

i'm not even liberal bit at some level the powers that be need to see dispensations are needed before the barricades go up. And it's obvious to me these dynamics are core drivers of our political woes

i have no boomer hate and love my boomer parents but it's obvious to me history will look poorly on them
bs

Old 11-10-2019, 05:55 PM

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/essa...r-generations/

Today’s young adults are much better educated than their grandparents, as the share of young adults with a bachelor’s degree or higher has steadily climbed since 1968. Among Millennials, around four-in-ten (39%) of those ages 25 to 37 have a bachelor’s degree or higher, compared with just 15% of the Silent Generation, roughly a quarter of Baby Boomers and about three-in-ten Gen Xers (29%) when they were the same age

Old 11-10-2019, 05:55 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,889 times
Quote:
https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/essa...r-generations/

Today’s young adults are much better educated than their grandparents, as the share of young adults with a bachelor’s degree or higher has steadily climbed since 1968. Among Millennials, around four-in-ten (39%) of those ages 25 to 37 have a bachelor’s degree or higher, compared with just 15% of the Silent Generation, roughly a quarter of Baby Boomers and about three-in-ten Gen Xers (29%) when they were the same age
So? A plumber makes more than someone with a BA in sociology.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Millennials with a bachelor’s degree or more and a full-time job had median annual earnings valued at $56,000 in 2018, roughly equal to those of college-educated Generation X workers in 2001. But for Millennials with some college or less, annual earnings were lower than their counterparts in prior generations. For example, Millennial workers with some college education reported making $36,000, lower than the $38,900 early Baby Boomer workers made at the same age in 1982. The pattern is similar for those young adults who never attended college

LESS MONEY IN 2019 THAN 1982
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary