Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 AM

329 posts, read 250,028 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed an uptick in the number of deer this year vs prior years? I've noticed more than usual on the road, my corn pile and my neighbor's corn pile.
I would say an increase of 25%.

Anyone else notice more deer than usual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 09:54 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post

Anyone else notice more deer than usual?
I’m seeing more right around Carolina Shores and Calabash, but I haven’t left the area in a while. I saw a large deer dead on the sidewalk yesterday in the Calabash business district. The street is well lit and the posted speed limit is 35 mph.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:41 AM

347 posts, read 522,066 times
If you care about white-tailed deer, I'd urge you to consider stopping the practice of feeding them from a corn pile (or any concentrated feeding). Please have a look at this article regarding chronic wasting disease in white-tailed deer and elk.

Chronic Wasting Disease and the Science in Support of the Ban on Baiting and Feeding Deer – CWD-INFO.ORG

My apologies if you meant something else by the phrase "corn pile".

Old 11-12-2019, 10:45 AM

390 posts, read 366,482 times
Far North Durham and 100% yes. I would say its more like 50-70% more than last year up here. I was routinely seeing herds of 15+ through summer and early fall. Mostly seeing smaller groups now, but still with much higher frequency than I normally see this time of year. Definitely different animals so its not just one group of overly venturesome ones that set up shop nearby.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:48 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,238,477 times
No. There have always been a ton, but I think the nonstop development is taking away their habitat.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
Far North Durham and 100% yes. I would say its more like 50-70% more than last year up here. I was routinely seeing herds of 15+ through summer and early fall. Mostly seeing smaller groups now, but still with much higher frequency than I normally see this time of year. Definitely different animals so its not just one group of overly venturesome ones that set up shop nearby.
We're a bit South of hwy 98 and I see small groups of 5 or 6 vs the usual 3 or 4 in this area.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
If you care about white-tailed deer, I'd urge you to consider stopping the practice of feeding them from a corn pile (or any concentrated feeding). Please have a look at this article regarding chronic wasting disease in white-tailed deer and elk.

Chronic Wasting Disease and the Science in Support of the Ban on Baiting and Feeding Deer – CWD-INFO.ORG

My apologies if you meant something else by the phrase "corn pile".
Hi Klunk, I read through the article and would disagree with it slightly simply because deer already have a plethora of natural congregating areas such as oaks, and water sources. I dont think a corn pile will cause much extra risk as its comparable to a watering spot, especially when the corn is only there for a couple months so it doesnt create a habit in deer.

Also, we use the corn to bait deer to provide for my family as we subsist entirely off wild game and our farm livestock in terms of meat. Our neighbor also baits with corn for the same reason.

With all the development we can't do many other hunting methods now other than baiting.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:22 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
No. There have always been a ton, but I think the nonstop development is taking away their habitat.
Suburban development is actually a better habitat for deer than woods. NC's deer population has gone from 10,000 in 1900 to over 1 million today.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:50 PM

149 posts, read 615,597 times
Just hit one on 540 last week; still waiting to hear the damage report from Caliber. Before that I had noticed a lot more carcasses on the shoulders of 540.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:01 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,238,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Suburban development is actually a better habitat for deer than woods. NC's deer population has gone from 10,000 in 1900 to over 1 million today.
Well, only because of hunting restrictions in suburban areas.
Quote:
The state had a growing population of white-tailed deer until either-sex seasons were liberalized in the early 1990s. This liberalization of either-sex seasons across most areas of the state allowed for increased opportunity for sportsmen/women to harvest antlerless deer. The population trend of our state’s deer herd quickly stabilized and has actually started to decrease for most areas of the state. However, there are areas throughout the state where localized populations continue to increase. Those areas where populations are rapidly increasing are typically urban/suburban areas where the utilization of hunting as a management tool has been greatly hindered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary