Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 08:55 AM

6,081 posts, read 4,563,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
What other country allows it’s citizens to raise statues and fly the flags of failed rebellions? Especially those that only lasted 4 years, and was to maintain slaves. In any other country they would have never allowed any statues and banned the confederate flag within months of war end. Thats why we are free in the USA, no where else would any remnant of the confederacy been allowed to exist...
There is a key difference in having a statute or flag on private property (at someone's home for instance) compared to putting it on public property where there's some implication that what goes there represents the community's shared heritage and values, which in this case, not everyone agrees on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 09:39 AM

8,158 posts, read 10,878,041 times
I thought Silent Sam still belonged on the UNC-CH campus...tucked away somewhere for the ages.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:37 AM

4,468 posts, read 3,660,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Canada, China and Brazil.

Freedom means many things. Erasing history isn't one them.

Do we want to be like Canada, China or Brazil? No, we want to be like the USA. No reason to celebrate failed rebellions that supported seeing human beings as property and selling and buying them.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:41 AM

5,804 posts, read 6,853,063 times
Quote:
Freedom means many things. Erasing history isn't one them.

I get the impression that some want these moved, so they are not reminded of events of the past.

Old 11-30-2019, 11:06 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,624,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Do we want to be like Canada, China or Brazil? No, we want to be like the USA. No reason to celebrate failed rebellions that supported seeing human beings as property and selling and buying them.
Of course I didn't say we did, I simply answered a question. But to your point, its not about being like anywhere other than the USA (what else can we be, after all?) but it is important to keep in mind that those who fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it. History shouldn't be erased, and remembering isn't the same as celebrating.

Last edited by Edward Teach; 11-30-2019 at 11:27 AM..

Old 11-30-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I get the impression that some want these moved, so they are not reminded of events of the past.
And I get the impression that some native americans (whose ancestors were slaughtered so their land could be stolen from them to create the USA) would like to see some statues and memorials moved so they aren't reminded of events from the past.

Last edited by Edward Teach; 11-30-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 12-01-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Of course I didn't say we did, I simply answered a question. But to your point, its not about being like anywhere other than the USA (what else can we be, after all?) but it is important to keep in mind that those who fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it. History shouldn't be erased, and remembering isn't the same as celebrating.

When you erect a statue at a government courthouse in the country that you live in, or at a college campus that you send your kid to, then you are "celebrating" it. Not "remembering" it.

Learn that in your history class in school. Education seems to be lacking in the elementary years already in America.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
When you erect a statue at a government courthouse in the country that you live in, or at a college campus that you send your kid to, then you are "celebrating" it. Not "remembering" it.
You seem to assume that I'm in favor of keeping monuments in front of a courthouse, or on a public university campus. Please re-read my comments, as I never said that.

Quote:
Learn that in your history class in school. Education seems to be lacking in the elementary years already in America.
I'm quite certain I've studied far more American history than you, and I'm well beyond my school years, lol. But thanks for your suggestion

Last edited by Edward Teach; 12-01-2019 at 09:50 AM..

Old 12-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
You seem to assume I'm in favor of keeping monuments in front of a courthouse, or on a public university campus. Please re-read my comments, as I never said that.
Right, you didn't specify any location. But all of the recent statues in question recently are at places like this. Where would you want these statues to stand then? Some random farm field in Johnston Co?

Quote:
I'm quite certain I've studied far more American history than you, but thanks for your suggestion.

Quite an assumption to make, but I'm quite certain it's easier for you to make this claim on the internet, where we all don't even know each other.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Right, you didn't specify any location. But all of the recent statues in question recently are at places like this. Where would you want these statues to stand then? Some random farm field in Johnston Co?
In the case of Silent Sam, I'll wait until the SCV says where they plan to put put it first, and then decide whether its an appropriate/desirable location. Might be a good idea for all involved to do the same.

The poster to whom i originally replied on this thread stated that all symbols of the confederacy should be banned from display on public or private property. There is a large area of compromise between that position, and a government sanctioned display on the UNC campus, for example.

In the meantime, do you think the statue of Andrew Jackson in New Orleans should be taken down?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Removal_Act

Last edited by Edward Teach; 12-01-2019 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary