Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 08:46 PM

420 posts, read 451,977 times

Advertisements

New search. Need a skilled colorist for brunette hair that wants to be red and brassy while I would like it to be golden brown. Also have stubborn gray that does not hold color well. I spend a fortune to keep my roots covered and if I get two weeks out of the deal, it’s a lot! The two people I have had here in NC have been colorists and stylists but I keep mine long nowadays so haircuts are not a major concern right now. I am almost ready to say I am so done with this but hubby isn’t quite on board just yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Southern Wake/East Cary is most convenient but will travel for right person. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 10:19 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,869 times
I think the only way for your gray to hold color will be to strip it with bleach first. That will let the color in to penetrate it. I have the same problem. I also get brassy color if ash is not added into the color mix. I personally do not strip my hair, it is already to fine and that would just make it straw like. I personally am ready to give up color, but I like the body it tends to give my fine hair.
First world problems.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:05 AM

142 posts, read 223,618 times
Have you checked what product line of dye your colorists have been using? I stylist-hopped for years after moving here- had some where the color held but didn't love the stylist, and others where I loved the stylist but my hair wouldn't hold the color. I have naturally very dark hair with some grays, and color it much lighter- it was incredibly frustrating to spend anywhere between $150-$250ish/visit, and within days the grays would be glistening through again, and after about a week it would look like they'd never been dyed.

It turned out that my hair won't hold Goldwell or Aveda colors. I think with Aveda the overall color held, but we couldn't keep the grays covered. So I recommend calling to see what products the salons you've been to have used, and try a salon that uses another line. I don't remember what line my current stylist uses, but the color holds well and the grays stay completely covered. FINALLY. Good luck!!

Old 02-01-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
First world problems.
TRUTH!

Lost my Dad in the summer, my FIL in December and a good friend this past week.
Didn’t care for months what my hair looked like.
Still not myself but even asking the question is a good sign

Old 02-01-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyBrown View Post
Have you checked what product line of dye your colorists have been using? I stylist-hopped for years after moving here- had some where the color held but didn't love the stylist, and others where I loved the stylist but my hair wouldn't hold the color. I have naturally very dark hair with some grays, and color it much lighter- it was incredibly frustrating to spend anywhere between $150-$250ish/visit, and within days the grays would be glistening through again, and after about a week it would look like they'd never been dyed.

It turned out that my hair won't hold Goldwell or Aveda colors. I think with Aveda the overall color held, but we couldn't keep the grays covered. So I recommend calling to see what products the salons you've been to have used, and try a salon that uses another line. I don't remember what line my current stylist uses, but the color holds well and the grays stay completely covered. FINALLY. Good luck!!
Very true Beverly. Goldwell makes my hair red no matter what the mixture. Aveda did nothing for the gray. The last line (Pravana) also made it red. The current one is good (Joico) and I haven’t found any other salon that uses it. Current colorist only does hair as a side gig and is giving it up soon.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:13 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
This is why I gave up and do my roots once a month at home. $8 a month and no aggravation. And I've learned the hard way to go a shade darker than you're thinking to avoid a fake/brassy look (my hair is sort of golden brown with lots of natural blond and red highlights so this is counter intuitive but it works).

Old 02-01-2020, 03:06 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,314 times
I've never noticed brassy hair or understood it, or why it was bad so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

My hair was naturally red, turned brown, and now I have grays around my face mostly. I got really tired of dropping a lot of money on professional coloring that doesn't last long. Before giving up and just dying the whole thing brown, I used Keracolor two weeks ago. It didn't completely cover my roots but because I chose copper (close to my natural color) the color is more noticeable than whether my roots are showing or grays.

I plan to start washing with the Keracolor more regularly. It's $22 a bottle that I can get multiple uses from. I think I'm done with pro color.

Also, just wanted to mention, I work with two women in their 40s / 50s who embraced their hair changes and dyed their entire head two tones of gray. It looks amazing.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:14 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post

Also, just wanted to mention, I work with two women in their 40s / 50s who embraced their hair changes and dyed their entire head two tones of gray. It looks amazing.
i agree that can look amazing, but you have to be ready to look the part. My mom did it probably in her late 60s because her gray was IMPOSSIBLE to cover and she'd been dealing with it since late 30s. However - I have a neighbor that has gone this route and she's exactly my age, but she looks at least 5 years older than me, ok I'm blessed with good genes and my grandmother lived to 90 and looked 70, mom is 85 and looks 70 - but still. I was getting asked for i.d at places that card "if you look younger than 40" till i was 50 - I'm not particularly vain but I'll take this one good thing and run with it as long as I can.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
i agree that can look amazing, but you have to be ready to look the part. My mom did it probably in her late 60s because her gray was IMPOSSIBLE to cover and she'd been dealing with it since late 30s. However - I have a neighbor that has gone this route and she's exactly my age, but she looks at least 5 years older than me, ok I'm blessed with good genes and my grandmother lived to 90 and looked 70, mom is 85 and looks 70 - but still. I was getting asked for i.d at places that card "if you look younger than 40" till i was 50 - I'm not particularly vain but I'll take this one good thing and run with it as long as I can.
I completely agree twingles.
My Mom was salt and pepper in her late twenties. She was a beautiful woman but seemed so much older than her years most of her life. She died when she was only 71. I am 11 years younger than that now and frequently get mistaken for much younger. I‘m a very casual person so I wear VANS or Converse because, like my Mom, comfort is numero uno for me. Although I agree that certain women who rock gray hair and are stunning, I am just not ready to see that in myself. It’s all mental. My mother looked light years “better” than many who were her age because she had few wrinkles on her glowing skin. However, I am not certain she looked as youthful as the other women because she dressed like the older person she felt she was given the silver hair. Hair sets a tone for a woman. I have pin straight dark brown hair. Never went nuts with color but have had every conceivable hairstyle including the pixie cut Demi Moore wore in the movie GHOST. Wore that for 15 years. That cut AND roots were too much money to maintain so I grew it out when I moved down here. Love pulling it off my face now, especially in the heat.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:01 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
New search. Need a skilled colorist for brunette hair that wants to be red and brassy while I would like it to be golden brown. Also have stubborn gray that does not hold color well. I spend a fortune to keep my roots covered and if I get two weeks out of the deal, it’s a lot! The two people I have had here in NC have been colorists and stylists but I keep mine long nowadays so haircuts are not a major concern right now. I am almost ready to say I am so done with this but hubby isn’t quite on board just yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Southern Wake/East Cary is most convenient but will travel for right person. Thanks in advance.

https://salonlofts.com/stefanie_bran...7vD1MgkapVr5DQ

Stefanie is an awesome colorist. I recently decided to go natural, and she helped me through the process. Her FB and Instagram pages show pictures of different color techniques she's used.

Full disclosure, she is my son-in-law's sister, but I'd go to her regardless! Her salon is near Park West between Cary & Morrisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary