Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 09:07 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
We came close to making a move to Wake County recently.After some extensive contemplating,we decided against the job transfer.The school situation was one thing that played a huge part in that decision...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...y-schools.html
I give you credit for doing your research. The WCPSS is one of the few regrets we have moving here, and unfortunately schools were an important part of our move. There are enough positives to keep us in the area, but it's unfortunate that the school system is heading in such a direction when there are other more pressing issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 06:17 AM

913 posts, read 884,831 times
School changes were a big part of the reason we left. Special Education services were very good when we arrived in 2012. By the 2018-2019 school year, so much had been cut that we decided it was time to head back to NY.

There is just no comparison at all. I think the schools will have a serious effect on the area unless something changes for the better.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:20 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I am not up to speed on WCPSS changes or school allocations. What you say might be correct, but also remember the FEDS/STATE set some maximum class sizes based on certain criteria. One of the schools could be built for 30+/- in each classroom, but the mandates are for 18 or 20 per classroom. In a case like that, school capacity on paper might far exceed the mandated size, therefore making the school seem underutilized.
The school district is claiming they are under utilized. I’m not gonna re hash everything I have posted about waitlisted at these schools (middle school not subject to class size caps which is K-3, the idea that Davis Drive Middle will ever have less than 35 per class is very humorous to me).

Old 12-07-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
School changes were a big part of the reason we left. Special Education services were very good when we arrived in 2012. By the 2018-2019 school year, so much had been cut that we decided it was time to head back to NY.

There is just no comparison at all. I think the schools will have a serious effect on the area unless something changes for the better.
Agree. And ironically the gap will grow wider between schools because as they try to make schools more “even” the parents who can will supplement and enrich. I commend that poster for doing the due diligence.

That said I have the list of where the Garden City HS class of 2019 is going to college and 95% are going to private schools. Only 1 kid - ONE - going to community college. That’s nothing more than keeping up with the Joneses. I know GC is perceived as a wealthy town but there are plenty of middle class folks there who paid $300k for a house 20-25 years ago and no way in hell can these people afford that. And most of them have one or two other kids in college. Will never ever regret moving my kids away from that mentality.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:24 AM

913 posts, read 884,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Agree. And ironically the gap will grow wider between schools because as they try to make schools more “even” the parents who can will supplement and enrich. I commend that poster for doing the due diligence.

That said I have the list of where the Garden City HS class of 2019 is going to college and 95% are going to private schools. Only 1 kid - ONE - going to community college. That’s nothing more than keeping up with the Joneses. I know GC is perceived as a wealthy town but there are plenty of middle class folks there who paid $300k for a house 20-25 years ago and no way in hell can these people afford that. And most of them have one or two other kids in college. Will never ever regret moving my kids away from that mentality.
Garden City schools would not be my choice either for that very reason. We are in an upper middle class area for sure with plenty of retired and middle class folks that are stretching their dollars.

My daughter's school has a very strong Special Education program which is what we were looking for. She is in regular classes on track for a Regents Diploma, only difference is her IEP gets her small class sizes with an extra teacher in each class. She is thriving.

The last year in NC (which was 7th grade) was atrocious. In 6th grade my daughter was in a small (4 student) pull out math class that taught her at her level. She did very well and actually grew about 1 1/2 years in 1 year. (She started at an end of 4th grade level and finished at almost mid 6th grade level. Then Wake County didn't have funding for the pull out class anymore, so they put her in a 30 student mainstream 7th grade math class with a second teacher helper. She was supposed to just skip ahead to 7th grade math and learn from her peers in this new way of teaching math.

It was astounding to see this level of idiocy. Of course it was an epic failure.

Keeping up with the Joneses is rampant everywhere. I have 2 grown boys who are through college and established in their careers, thankfully they both went to SUNY schools. They were given the choice to go to community college for 2 years and we would pay for their 4 year degree, or to go away for 4 years and we would pay the same amount with them footing the rest of the bill. They both graduated with about 24k in student loans. Our thought was if they went away and goofed, any class they would fail would be the one they paid for.

My daughter will almost certainly start at a community college.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:35 AM

Don’t even get me started on the math. I dropped my daughter from honors to academic this year but she’s learning. It’s all the same material but in a different (correct) order. You’re 100% correct about the SPED funding in NY (of course it gets ridiculous when you have one kid in a bus going to the district that can provide the needed services).

Old 12-07-2019, 10:19 AM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
Ah, Garden City. It now all makes sense. A few demographics: 2010 Census: 21,811 people lived in Garden City. The racial makeup of the “village” was 88.1% White, 1.2% African American, 0.1% Native American, 5.0% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 0.4% from other races, and 0.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.0% of the population. It included 7,386 households. The median income for a household in the village was $112,854. Only 104 families and 476 individuals were below the poverty line. Just south in the village of Hempstead, it’s quite a different story.

The Garden City Union Free School District serves 3,862 students. There are three primary schools for kindergarten and first grade. Two elementary schools for Grades 2 to 5 feed into Garden City Middle School, then Garden City High School.

Here is a puffy piece from the NYT Real Estate section talking about it: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/15/r...e-mat-out.html

It is also, however, held up in this article as a shining example of how Long Island is America’s most segregated suburb (from a 2002 study): https://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/05/n...ed-suburb.html

Some interesting quotes from the article:

''’It's almost like a township in the South African sense' during apartheid, said another expert, Andrew Beveridge, a Queens College sociologist who has made similar findings.”

“Why Long Island is segregated is a matter of debate. Mr. Rusk blamed the tax, zoning, housing and education policies of Long Island's '’frustrating maze of little-box governments: 109 villages, towns and cities and 129 school districts.'”

''The unspoken agenda of most little-box councils, or most little-box school boards, is 'to keep our town, or our schools, just the way they are for people just like us,' whoever us happens to be,'' said Mr. Rusk, a former mayor of Albuquerque. ''The result is that Long Island is highly divided by race and ethnicity. For black residents, Long Island is the most segregated suburb in America.''

Another article on the history of segregation in Long Island: https://www.brickunderground.com/liv...ry-segregation

Wake County isn’t an Apartheid Township. Don’t try to recreate one here to feel more at home, and don’t be surprised if long time Southern residents push back on you trying to do so. A lot of us in the Triangle and throughout the metros of the “New South” have seen the positive effects of hard fought efforts towards racial and socioeconomic integration. Hopefully your kids will see it as well.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:38 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Ah, Garden City. It now all makes sense. A few demographics: 2010 Census: 21,811 people lived in Garden City. The racial makeup of the “village” was 88.1% White, 1.2% African American, 0.1% Native American, 5.0% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 0.4% from other races, and 0.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.0% of the population. It included 7,386 households. The median income for a household in the village was $112,854. Only 104 families and 476 individuals were below the poverty line. Just south in the village of Hempstead, it’s quite a different story.

The Garden City Union Free School District serves 3,862 students. There are three primary schools for kindergarten and first grade. Two elementary schools for Grades 2 to 5 feed into Garden City Middle School, then Garden City High School.

Here is a puffy piece from the NYT Real Estate section talking about it: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/15/r...e-mat-out.html

It is also, however, held up in this article as a shining example of how Long Island is America’s most segregated suburb (from a 2002 study): https://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/05/n...ed-suburb.html

Some interesting quotes from the article:

''’It's almost like a township in the South African sense' during apartheid, said another expert, Andrew Beveridge, a Queens College sociologist who has made similar findings.”

“Why Long Island is segregated is a matter of debate. Mr. Rusk blamed the tax, zoning, housing and education policies of Long Island's '’frustrating maze of little-box governments: 109 villages, towns and cities and 129 school districts.'”

''The unspoken agenda of most little-box councils, or most little-box school boards, is 'to keep our town, or our schools, just the way they are for people just like us,' whoever us happens to be,'' said Mr. Rusk, a former mayor of Albuquerque. ''The result is that Long Island is highly divided by race and ethnicity. For black residents, Long Island is the most segregated suburb in America.''

Another article on the history of segregation in Long Island: https://www.brickunderground.com/liv...ry-segregation

Wake County isn’t an Apartheid Township. Don’t try to recreate one here to feel more at home, and don’t be surprised if long time Southern residents push back on you trying to do so. A lot of us in the Triangle and throughout the metros of the “New South” have seen the positive effects of hard fought efforts towards racial and socioeconomic integration. Hopefully your kids will see it as well.

One thing that does puzzle me is the hypocrisy of your typical “keep the gates up” extreme progressive claiming,NY/CT suburb.It is puzzling.Probably the same mindset of those against the SALT tax limit...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ctmirro...read-fear/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.new...225379470.html

Old 12-07-2019, 12:53 PM

What makes sense, my own personal stalker? You seriously need a hobby RaleighSentinel. What are you the sentinel of in ITB Shangri-La? Oh I get it, you’re “progressive” and “woke” because your magnet school spawn rub elbows with the less fortunate in the lunch line and I bet you even give them invitations to your birthday parties. You rock.

Move to Roosevelt, NY and the I will believe you are capable of putting your money where your big mouth is. Better yet when you and your neighbors volunteer to send your kids to Southeast Raleigh for school for the sake of diversity I will believe you aren’t completely full of it. Spare me how great you native southerners are. You have slave ownership in your blood line no doubt and just trying to make yourself feel better about it by pretending you live work and play in a diverse atmosphere. I’ll wait while you google Roosevelt and your poor kids watch Paw Patrol whole you dedicate your spare time to scary maybe-twingles-needs-a-RO shenanigans.

I can GUARANTEE you I grew up in and went to a more diverse (in every way) school district than you would ever DREAM of living in or sending your kids to. And that’s all here on CD too. Feed your kids some cookies to keep them quiet and get back to the search feature to find it.

PS I'm not sure you know what Apartheid means.

Last edited by twingles; 12-07-2019 at 01:35 PM..

Old 12-07-2019, 02:41 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I can GUARANTEE you I grew up in and went to a more diverse (in every way) school district than you would ever DREAM of living in or sending your kids to.
Can you tell us about it?

My schools were pretty diverse once busing started. I am from Fayetteville so in addition to whites and blacks there were a lot of other folks there, some Indian (Lumbee), quite a few Vietnamese folks, Chinese folks. Fort Bragg schools did not go through High School then (not sure of the situation now), so we went to school with the kids of folks from all over the country and the world. We had a lot of economic diversity, too, from families where the mom and/or dad were doctors and lawyers to kids living in housing projects. I did make friends with a variety of folks and do keep up with a few of them on Facebook. Fayetteville currently is probably the most diverse city in North Carolina. Looking at the racial makeup that City-Data has online for it, Fayetteville is a little more black than Durham, but otherwise pretty similar. Fayetteville has more Native Americans, a bit fewer Asians.

I think there are a lot of good things that come from having a diversity policy and I am in favor of it, having been through it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary