Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 10:08 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
are there good examples of "mixed income housing" succeeding?

In Raleigh, I'd suggest the tearing down and replacement of Halifax Court with subsidized rentals and the single family Village at Pilot Mill to be one, but I don't know how many low-income units there were and are now.
There are some mixed income apartments downtown near Shaw if I'm not mistaken.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:20 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
67% of the Downtown South property has been officially purchased by the developer today according to Triangle Business Journal. I'm sure the rest of the property will be purchased soon as well.

It's happening.
This is awesome! I really hope they can pull this development off. I'm still skeptical because it is suuuuper ambitious by the renderings, but having John Kane's name attached is a relief. Anyway, the sooner the better. There's nothing there right now so this is good news.

Old 12-24-2019, 03:40 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
It's happening.
Well, it's started to happen. Anyone's guess how fast something is built. First, the powers-at-be have to agree to let the developers tap into the hotel and prepared meal tax. That's a zero-sum game with formidable opposition.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:08 PM

133 posts, read 109,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Well, it's started to happen. Anyone's guess how fast something is built. First, the powers-at-be have to agree to let the developers tap into the hotel and prepared meal tax. That's a zero-sum game with formidable opposition.
Well, with a new Raleigh City Council, and the prospect of a new election for County Commissioners, they must know something is looking right for them to proceed. These are very knowledgeable business people who aren’t going to lay out that amount of money without knowing the odds are in their favor.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:29 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh72 View Post
Well, with a new Raleigh City Council, and the prospect of a new election for County Commissioners, they must know something is looking right for them to proceed. These are very knowledgeable business people who aren’t going to lay out that amount of money without knowing the odds are in their favor.
https://twitter.com/maryannbaldwin/s...03445947240449

Old 09-05-2021, 05:29 AM

364 posts, read 121,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
There WILL be residual gentrification from Downtown South . Don’t be willfully naive.

And I’d never be a brand unto myself as a real estate agent and come on here spewing some of the nonsense folks post on here . As if they think their brand is immune . The AUDACITY .

You need not be so offended. Not a good look.

Old 09-05-2021, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80provinces View Post
Someone in this city should buy another city's MLS team and move it here. It worked for hockey, why not soccer.

Jim Goodnight is unmotivated trash in contrast to David Tepper, a person who cares about his city.

Yeah, all those folks working for SAS, PCC and his development company should just up and leave. Free child care be damned!! We want an empty soccer stadium!!

Old 09-05-2021, 07:52 AM

426 posts, read 223,618 times
Quote:
Who says that stadium is going to be empty? I see it as full. Most MLS stadiums are or will be. The era of Chivas USA is long gone.

We can have both. We are just too small minded and parochial to do so. Charlotte isn't and as such they succeeded.
When your biggest fan base is often out of town (or even in town) attending their kids’ soccer games on the weekends and at practice during the week, it can be a challenge to fill the stands for local pro games. A lot of these families start to lose interest as their kids age out. Not all, but a fair amount. So, to fill an MLS stadium you will need to pull from a much broader fan base. Does that exist here in the Triangle? Maybe, but it isn’t a slam dunk.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:14 AM

426 posts, read 223,618 times
Quote:
If it works in the very similar markets of Columbus and Austin, the peer markets of Charlotte and Nashville, and had worked in the smaller market of Cincinnati, why would it not work here? Are we that different?
Didn’t Cincinnati use a local downtown college stadium that had a ready-made dining and entertainment district within walking distance? I’m sure that helps. You can’t simply go by market size with an “if they build it they will come” approach. If that were true, how would you explain Chicago Fire’s #s?

Old 09-05-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Who says that stadium is going to be empty? I see it as full. Most MLS stadiums are or will be. The era of Chivas USA is long gone.

We can have both. We are just too small minded and parochial to do so. Charlotte isn't and as such they succeeded.

So you like soccer and decide that an entire metro area is too small minded to think like you?

Gotcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary