Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 04:32 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,155 times

Advertisements

I use to receive my NCDOT auto registration renewal bill months in advance. I once even took my vehicle in for inspection (as it was required prior to renewing registration) and was told they couldn’t inspect it before 3 months prior to registration renewal. So they sent it out months in advance a few years ago.

Fast forward to ever since the NCDOT wants everyone to pay online (with 3rd party fee) and the paper bill is nowhere to be found. If I remember right last year they (NCDOT) noted that you needed to allow 6 weeks for mailed in payments. I’m just about at that 6 week cutoff and haven’t received a bill.

I called and asked why I hadn’t yet received my bill and wasn’t given any answer. They said they would send a bill but that was a week ago and I still haven’t received it.

I think they are playing games and sending the new registration renewal notices/bills so close to renewal time that people think they have no other choice but to renew on-line and pay the 3rd party a fee to process the transaction. Six weeks to process a mailed in check is ridiculous.

At a time where the term bullied is very popular I think this is a glaring example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 04:55 PM

888 posts, read 805,916 times
Do you think you're the first person who called them saying you didn't get a bill? Next call ask what's owed and how to pay it.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:49 PM

Either you missed the point all together or I didn’t present it clearly. This is not a case of a lost bill in the mail, it’s a case of NCDOT delaying paper bills to the point that mailing in payment is not an option, forcing you to use the on-line payment process resulting in paying a third party money to process the payment.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:57 PM

888 posts, read 805,916 times
I feel like you're already online posting here and that you're just a website away from being able to pay and avoid the paper altogether. They absolutely do not have to send a paper bill to anyone. It's not required. Enough people claim to not get a paper bill that it couldn't be required.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
I feel like you're already online posting here and that you're just a website away from being able to pay and avoid the paper altogether. They absolutely do not have to send a paper bill to anyone. It's not required. Enough people claim to not get a paper bill that it couldn't be required.
Oh I could absolutely pay the registration and taxes on line ‘with‘ the additional third party fee. I pay most of my bills online but none that require a fee. Those that require a fee I pay via credit union ‘bill pay’ or snail mail to avoid the fee.

My issue here is that I’m not receiving my bill early enough to have a choice in how I pay. If NCDOT says it will take 6 weeks to process my snail mall paper check or bill pay check and I don’t get the bill until 3 weeks before it’s due than that’s a problem.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:26 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I think if you pay by check online there is no fee. But you have to get it in 10 days before it's due.

I am pretty sure I got bills for our cars. In fact I know I did. There's no way in hell I would remember to pay them otherwise.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:52 PM

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/offices-se.../my-ncdmv.aspx

$3 fee regardless of how you pay on line

Old 12-14-2019, 07:06 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Why not just go to the DMV office and pay in person.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:07 PM

792 posts, read 4,488,681 times
I just got my bill in the mail today. My inspection sticker expires 2-20. So I have almost 3 months to deal with it. Maybe your bill really did get lost in the mail? It happens.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
I just got my bill in the mail today. My inspection sticker expires 2-20. So I have almost 3 months to deal with it. Maybe your bill really did get lost in the mail? It happens.
Wow, that’s interesting. Maybe there is something going on with just my account. Like I said I called a week ago and they said they would send a bill and I have yet to receive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: