Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 05:12 PM

151 posts, read 195,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
You can get into a 3/2 in Walltown for around the $250s if you're ok with doing some updates and the high potential of street parking or a shared driveway. For something with a better parking situation and the renovations already done; you're looking at closer to $300k. In both of these scenarios you're looking at a pretty small 3/2. 1100 sqft or thereabouts.

A follow up question. Is it possible to have a 3/2 or 2/2 that doesn't need much work, has a big lot, private parking and is walkable/bikeble to downrown withing 250k or is that asking too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 07:46 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_cakes View Post
A follow up question. Is it possible to have a 3/2 or 2/2 that doesn't need much work, has a big lot, private parking and is walkable/bikeble to downrown withing 250k or is that asking too much?
Lyon Park is a neighborhood just southeast of downtown and just north of Forest Hills that would be close to matching all of that but most of the homes there in that price range have a deed restriction until 2024 (built by Habitat For Humanity). Must be owner occupied; buyer must make less than 80% of average income for Durham County (that puts single buyers at a range of $45k-$52k last time I checked for a buyer of mine).

There have been several come on the market this year; a few eventually sold; a few expired because the deed restriction disqualified investors and most of the owner-occupant buyers looking were over the income threshold.

If your income falls within that range and you qualify; those are some of the best deals in Durham if you hold out for the deed restriction to expire. When those homes (largely built in the 2000s so more modern) can be sold at market-rate by their current owners; said owner are likely going to be in an excellent equity position.

And again; Cleveland-Holloway and other neighborhoods just east of downtown will have quite a few "flips" that would meet your criteria but you would definitely be in more of a transitional neighborhood. Also; while most flips look very pretty inside and out; it isn't exactly uncommon for flippers to cut corners so you could get some unexpected surprises in an inspection that could make the home less "done" than it previously appeared. This is probably the more realistic scenario to get what you are looking for. Just go into it not assuming that a flipped house that looks nice and new inside is going to be completely sound.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 12-28-2019 at 07:55 AM..

Old 12-28-2019, 08:00 AM

20 posts, read 21,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_cakes View Post
Within 250k would be tight, but within 350k as per your original post, sure. I bought new construction (teardown and total rebuild) 4 bed/2.5 bath, large fenced backyard and driveway, for a bit more than that in spring 2018. My neighbors across the way bought their no-driveway fixer upper around the same time for considerably less, but they've put a lot of sweat equity.

In terms of safety, you can get data from the police record or crime stats; that's better than any anecdotal info you'd get here. For what its worth, I don't feel unsafe and haven't heard gunshots or anything, but on the other hand, my NextDoor is full of people outraged because someone approached their front door in a hoodie. So YMMV.

Getting to know your neighbors as a post-college adult, is largely on you. Wave, say hi, introduce yourself, ask them over for game night. I think the Trinity Park and Watts-Hillandale area have neighborhood associations which organize activities like progressive dinners or trick-or-treating, and Walltown has a community center that hosts events from time to time, but most of the day-to-day interactions with your neighbors are on you.

I asked a question on here in early 2018 about Durham neighborhoods and got some really good advice about where to look for my asks, which were pretty similar to yours.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary