Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 08:56 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. City View Post
Having lived in an actual "big city" with tons of crime I completely disagree with you. A cursory search of FBI statistics on this subject doesn't even include Raleigh in their listing of major crime cities in North Carolina or anywhere in the USA.

FBI Crime rates per 100,000 people per year 2017

North Carolina8 Charlotte-Mecklenburg
914609 9.40 220.53 433.52 3815.18 701.50 2827.00 286.68 21.21
North Carolina8
Durham
269088 8.55 316.63 467.13 3826.26 867.37 2675.70 283.18 11.52
North Carolina8 Greensboro
290051 15.86 228.93 480.61 3562.13 710.91 2559.55 291.67 39.65
Massachusetts
Boston
682903 669.20 8.35 42.47 205.59 412.80 2089.02 308.83 1603.74 176.45

According to the FBI, it appears that Greensboro NC has the most murders per capita, followed by Durham and Charlotte which are very close to each other. Raleigh didn't even make the FBI's list ! According to the FBI, Durham and Charlotte are very close to Boston in terms of the murder rate per capita.

I tried to double check my thoughts with Whitey Bulger, then I realized that he was dead.

I realize that this may have gotten off track with the original poster, but the point I want to make to him, since he is concerned with crime, is that the Raleigh area is safe. Now, is it like living in the rural of NH where you can leave your doors unlocked and windows opened ? Absolutely not.
I'm unsure what those numbers even represent that you posted, but I'll respectfully disagree. I don't think Raleigh isn't on that list because "it didn't make it".

Since you brought up Durham, I have to just laugh. Boston, and even NYC's crime rates are nowhere even close to Durham.

From our own CD:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Carolina.html
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...achusetts.html
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 10:28 PM

88 posts, read 72,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I'm unsure what those numbers even represent that you posted, but I'll respectfully disagree. I don't think Raleigh isn't on that list because "it didn't make it".

Since you brought up Durham, I have to just laugh. Boston, and even NYC's crime rates are nowhere even close to Durham.

From our own CD:

http:////www.city-data.com/crime/cri...-Carolina.html
http:////www.city-data.com/crime/cri...achusetts.html
http:////www.city-data.com/crime/cri...-New-York.html

I don't understand what you are saying, but these figures came from the FBI's report of MSA crime statistics throughout the US. These are 2017 figures, so things may have changed. The violent crime stats are based on per capita rates, not absolute numbers. Raleigh didn't make the list that I looked at because it wasn't part of the most 100 top violent MSA areas in the USA, not that it doesn't have violent crime. It certainly does.

Feel free to check the 2017 and 2018 FBI stats if you like. Please, don't take my word for it. Also, all other "stat lists " are based upon FBI statistics, as they are considered the most reliable. City-data is not the FBI, believe it or not.

Actually, what I found is that you are mostly correct in that Boston is much safer than I thought. However, please don't make the assumption that Boston and NYC are significantly safer than Durham on a per capita, or actual basis, because it isn't true. However, if you need to laugh, then have at it.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I don't understand what you are saying, but these figures came from the FBI's report of MSA crime statistics throughout the US. These are 2017 figures, so things may have changed. The violent crime stats are based on per capita rates, not absolute numbers. Raleigh didn't make the list that I looked at because it wasn't part of the most 100 top violent MSA areas in the USA, not that it doesn't have violent crime. It certainly does.

Feel free to check the 2017 and 2018 FBI stats if you like. Please, don't take my word for it. Also, all other "stat lists " are based upon FBI statistics, as they are considered the most reliable. City-data is not the FBI, believe it or not.

Actually, what I found is that you are mostly correct in that Boston is much safer than I thought. However, please don't make the assumption that Boston and NYC are significantly safer than Durham on a per capita, or actual basis, because it isn't true. However, if you need to laugh, then have at it.
Ok I didn't realize you were providing stats for violent crime only.

Yes as has already been discussed, violent crime is slightly lower in Raleigh versus Boston. Overall crime is higher in Raleigh, as Raleigh has significantly higher property crime. This goes for NYC as well.

Yes Boston (and I assume NYC) has significantly less violent and property crime than Durham on a per capita basis. If you see statistics that show otherwise, I'd be interested in seeing them.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Ok I didn't realize you were providing stats for violent crime only.

Yes as has already been discussed, violent crime is slightly lower in Raleigh versus Boston. Overall crime is higher in Raleigh, as Raleigh has significantly higher property crime. This goes for NYC as well.

Yes Boston (and I assume NYC) has significantly less violent and property crime than Durham on a per capita basis. If you see statistics that show otherwise, I'd be interested in seeing them.
I don't understand what you are saying.

Violent crime is much lower in Raleigh versus Boston, according to the FBI's yearly published statistics; nothing "slightly" about it. Nobody else seems to agree with your claim that "violent crime is slightly lower in Raleigh versus Boston" and "Raleigh has significantly higher property crime".

I did not check the stats for non-violent crime so Boston may or may not have lower non violent crime. Who knows, Raleigh may be the "non violent property crime" capital of the world.

In North Carolina, Durham, Greensboro and Charlotte seem to be similar in per capita violent crime, although Greensboro is higher than the other two.

Let's put this discussion to rest. I apologize to the fellow from NH, as I am sure that he is scared to death of Raleigh now.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:29 AM

8 posts, read 6,944 times
Once again crime in Raleigh or any big metro cities compared to anywhere else has no relevance to my posting.

I'm looking for a nice smaller city or town with good job opportunities for lower skilled workers and decent areas for the family. It can be outside the metro areas of Raleigh or Charlotte. Lake Norman area would be nice but probably cant afford it. Any thoughts on Concord or Gastonia?

Old 12-29-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603family View Post
Once again crime in Raleigh or any big metro cities compared to anywhere else has no relevance to my posting.

I'm looking for a nice smaller city or town with good job opportunities for lower skilled workers and decent areas for the family. It can be outside the metro areas of Raleigh or Charlotte. Lake Norman area would be nice but probably cant afford it. Any thoughts on Concord or Gastonia?
Your post said the Raleigh or Charlotte areas - I was trying to help by making a comparison to a city that I figured you were familiar with. Didn't realize you were looking outside the Triangle. My bad.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I don't understand what you are saying.

Violent crime is much lower in Raleigh versus Boston, according to the FBI's yearly published statistics; nothing "slightly" about it. Nobody else seems to agree with your claim that "violent crime is slightly lower in Raleigh versus Boston" and "Raleigh has significantly higher property crime".

I did not check the stats for non-violent crime so Boston may or may not have lower non violent crime. Who knows, Raleigh may be the "non violent property crime" capital of the world.

In North Carolina, Durham, Greensboro and Charlotte seem to be similar in per capita violent crime, although Greensboro is higher than the other two.

Let's put this discussion to rest. I apologize to the fellow from NH, as I am sure that he is scared to death of Raleigh now.
I found the link to the random numbers you posted previously:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_crime_rate

Quote:
The following table of United States cities by crime rate is based on Federal Bureau of Investigation Uniform Crime Reports statistics from 2017 for the top 100 most populous cities in America that have reported data to the FBI UCR system.[1]
Given that the population of Raleigh is over 465k, it's a safe assumption that they did not report their data.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:47 AM

That Wikipedia link is a summary. Look at the yearly FBI original report for the source data.

I give up: Raleigh is a gazillion times more dangerous than Boston, Chicago Los Angeles, Mexico City combined.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Bad assumption:

"In anticipation of the FBI transitioning to NIBRS by January 2021, the Raleigh Police Department was one of the first agencies in North Carolina to convert from the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) program Summary Reporting System (SRS) to the UCR - National Incident Based Reporting System (NIBRS) in June 2014."

Raleigh Police Incidents (NIBRS)
Then it was a mistake? I don't know what to tell you, but Raleigh clearly has higher population than many listed on that site, and the site clearly states "The top 100 most populous cities".

Old 12-29-2019, 12:32 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 603family View Post

I would suggest you post in the Charlotte Forum for information on Concord or Gastonia.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary