Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 07:48 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,533,793 times

Advertisements

The growth you are noticing has been going on for decades. You just plugged in in 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 08:10 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I'm tatally in agreement with Twingles comments. And I also thought the word "home" was very revealing.

I absolutely believe that the most important factor of a successful relocation is WHY one wants to relocate. The motivation must be a positive one, providing a benefit beyond "I just wanna get out of here." This section of your post makes me sense that moving to another area isn't going to be successful.

I'm suspicious that your interest in relocating is a more local, personal issue - bad neighbors, difficult relationships with family, not finding "home" as homey as you did before, a spouse had an affair, and the like. And that type of motivation rarely ends with a relocation that is a happy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low crawler View Post
There are issues here where we currently live that are not specific to the area; all cities experience issues we rather not deal with, but none the less, are present.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:30 AM

96 posts, read 53,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm tatally in agreement with Twingles comments. And I also thought the word "home" was very revealing.

I absolutely believe that the most important factor of a successful relocation is WHY one wants to relocate. The motivation must be a positive one, providing a benefit beyond "I just wanna get out of here." This section of your post makes me sense that moving to another area isn't going to be successful.

I'm suspicious that your interest in relocating is a more local, personal issue - bad neighbors, difficult relationships with family, not finding "home" as homey as you did before, a spouse had an affair, and the like. And that type of motivation rarely ends with a relocation that is a happy one.
Gee, thanks. Where's your, "the doctor is in" sign? Your assessment of our current situation is completely off base; too bad for you your "suspicions" are wrong. Don't quit your day job, doc.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:46 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Gee, thanks. Where's your, "the doctor is in" sign? Your assessment of our current situation is completely off base; too bad for you your "suspicions" are wrong. Don't quit your day job, doc.

Maybe because of your following line? " There are issues here where we currently live that are not specific to the area"
You bring up complaints that are pretty much common everywhere.

What "dynamics" taking place on the east coast are too much for you? The population increase? Progressiveness?

I've lived in many rural areas and heavy city areas, and this place gives the best balance.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:55 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
The triangle has changed dramatically since we moved there in 2008. We lived in Cary for the first 6 years then moved to the Brier Creek area. Our initial reasons for our move to NC from New England was for a slower, less frenetic lifestyle and better climate. It was sort of a pre-retirement move.

Well, we retired last year and left the Triangle, heading to the coast....lol, looking for a slower, less frenetic lifestyle. We also really missed the beach, both of us growing up minutes from the ocean. It’s really funny that we escaped what we were initially seeking in NC. I think we’ve found it but we’ll see what happens over the next few years.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:12 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
One advantage this area still has is affordable housing in really nice areas... but that isn’t going to last. Microsoft bringing jobs here, likely many others on the way, downtown vitalization, plus Durham gentrifying like crazy, ...it’s amazing you can still get a 4B/3bth in Cary under 500k...
So a half million dollar house is the new baseline for affordability? Yikes.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
The triangle has changed dramatically since we moved there in 2008. We lived in Cary for the first 6 years then moved to the Brier Creek area. Our initial reasons for our move to NC from New England was for a slower, less frenetic lifestyle and better climate. It was sort of a pre-retirement move.

Well, we retired last year and left the Triangle, heading to the coast....lol, looking for a slower, less frenetic lifestyle. We also really missed the beach, both of us growing up minutes from the ocean. It’s really funny that we escaped what we were initially seeking in NC. I think we’ve found it but we’ll see what happens over the next few years.
Congratulations on your move. I, too, have lived near the ocean for much of my life and would be hard pressed to find another area of the country that could fill that void. Perhaps while contemplating our next move we're putting too much pressure on ourselves to find the perfect fit. The more we analyze our situation, the more we begin to realize the next move is closer to our backyard than we think. I'm glad my wife expressed her feelings to me upon returning "home" from Raleigh, that she felt moving to the area wouldn't be the right decision to make. She's also a beach girl and loves the ocean. Fortunately, time is on our side and it'll allow us to make a more informed decision.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
So a half million dollar house is the new baseline for affordability? Yikes.
No thanks. House rich and cash poor is one of the worse situations to find yourself in. Pass.

Old 12-27-2019, 10:50 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
I have lived here almost all my life. The only thing inevitable in the Triangle is change. But there is much that stays the same. I still take my son to my favorite childhood pizza place (Milton’s!). We still sometimes go to the theatre where I had my first job, though Alamo has been getting most of our business of late. Roads are busier though. If you come, find your shortcuts and your favs and just don’t fret change.

But that’s only if you come. Nothing in your post seems to scream you have a desire to be here. And if you don’t, that’s fine, just decide before you come here and forget what turn signals are like every other transplant. Please and thanks as my mema would say.

Last edited by Heel82; 12-27-2019 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-27-2019, 11:14 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
No thanks. House rich and cash poor is one of the worse situations to find yourself in. Pass.

There are tons of houses at much less than $500,000 all over the county.
And, they are quite livable.

Yes, the expense of living here has grown.
Yes, you are getting great input on having your ducks in a row before diving into a move.

But, $500,000 certainly buys more home here than most people need or want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary