Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 12:07 PM

781 posts, read 743,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There are tons of houses at much less than $500,000 all over the county.
And, they are quite livable.

Yes, the expense of living here has grown.
Yes, you are getting great input on having your ducks in a row before diving into a move.

But, $500,000 certainly buys more home here than most people need or want.
Exactly, I see a lot of nice homes in Apex for the mid 300s, they are often only 5-8 years old

Here is an example:
https://www.redfin.com/NC/Apex/2700-...m_content=link

IMO, this is a great family home for someone with 2-3 kids.

Also:

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Apex/903-A...m_content=link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 01:21 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Sounds like this just isn't the right area for you. It's not for everyone that's for sure!

I also agree that the $500k "baseline" is pretty far off.

If you are talking exclusively new construction SFH in in-town Chapel Hill, ITB Raleigh, or Cary/Apex west of Highway 55 and north/west of US-1.... sure you could use $500k as a "baseline". But that's a fairly small segment of the overall Triangle RE market/ housing stock.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:03 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by low crawler View Post
Loved famers market (again); met very friendly folks there who were very helpful and courteous. Lights on the Neuse was great. Took in a NHL hockey game, and although the Hurricanes lost, we had a great time. Really the only thing I miss was the cooler, seasonal weather. Thought it was just me, but my wife said she really didn't feel an incredible desire to go back, that it wasn't worth the trouble of relocating, finding work, and establishing ourselves there (again). This isn't a knock on the Raleigh area, for I do find many things about it that I like, however, much seems to have changed from the time I (we) have spent there back in 2013-2014.
Rereading, I remembered there was much in there that was confusing to me. You said the only thing you miss was the seasonal weather. Missed from here or from your current location? It reads like you love Raleigh except for the weather. But that’s seems at odds with the thrust of the post.

I don’t understand how the East Coast got dragged in. Maybe you are talking about legacy Midwest affordable towns, while the East Coast is either new (sunbelt) or expensive (Northeast)? And I remember Cary circa 2013/14. Is the new parking lot at Park West throwing you that much? The Mall closing? There has been long-range changes (the fight over building Crossroads was intense), but I’m not sure Cary has fundamentally changed that much the last few years.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:14 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
Best of luck to you wherever you land.

Old 12-27-2019, 03:42 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
it’s amazing you can still get a 4B/3bth in Cary under 500k...

Reading comprehension....he's not saying this is impossible. He's saying it's amazing with how popular the area is. But yes the median house price is well under $500K.

Old 12-28-2019, 04:33 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
So here we are, fast forward 6 years, contemplating relocating to the Raleigh area. Several years ago, we lived in Cary for a year. Things did not work out as we planned so we returned home. Kids are doing well, both my wife and I are employed at good jobs and financially speaking, doing very well. There are issues here where we currently live that are not specific to the area; all cities experience issues we rather not deal with, but none the less, are present. We recently thought of giving the Raleigh area a second chance and recently spent the last several days there, taking in several activities and traveling the area. We left with a, well, a m e h feeling. Traffic in our opinion, much worse than what we experienced years ago. Rude, inconsiderate drivers hell bent on making our driving experience difficult, everyday. Growth? OMG, off the chain. I knew the area was going though an expansion, but not to the degree we observed. Loved the farmers market (again); met very friendly folks there who were very helpful and courteous. Lights on the Neuse was great. Took in a NHL hockey game, and although the Hurricanes lost, we had a great time. Really the only thing I miss was the cooler, seasonal weather. Thought it was just me, but my wife said she really didn't feel an incredible desire to go back, that it wasn't worth the trouble of relocating, finding work, and establishing ourselves there (again). This isn't a knock on the Raleigh area, for I do find many things about it that I like, however, much seems to have changed from the time I (we) have spent there back in 2013-2014. Not sure if it's just me getting older, my kids getting older, that has changed my perspective on things, but I honestly feel had we remained there, we would have regretted staying, seeing all the change that has, in my opinion, taken away all that was unique to the area. It's like the omen that befalls all "desirable" places in America; everyone wants to move there and turns it into everything they moved away from. Our minds are not made up, for we still like what the area offers to some degree, but we're certainly expanding our search, maybe to the Midwest. The east coast of America, unfortunately, is losing its appeal. I feel we're looking for the heartland of America and the dynamics of change taking place along the east coast states are too much for us to deal with. Regardless, I would like to get some feedback from those of you that have lived in the Raleigh area for several years, what your thoughts are from the changes that have taken place over the years that have either disappointed you or made you happy with the changes.
Again, I'm not knocking the area; I do miss much of what it offers, but am seriously in a state of flux as to whether it's worth the effort in relocating.
So, you failed to successfully relocate the first time and have concluded you would fail a second time through no fault of your own, that it was the Triangle's inability to grab and hold your interest?

I would seriously hate my life having to live with a persistent sense that I wanted to be somewhere different to the point where I tried once (and failed) to make it happen. You're in a total state of denial by suggesting that life in the Triangle is materially different than it was in 2014; your assessment was likely entirely influenced by your failed relocation and need to validate that it had nothing to do with you and everything to do with the Triangle.

I'm glad you've concluded that this isn't the area for you. The only thing worse than someone relocating here and trying to bring their flawed ideals and bad habits is someone who moves here and pines for the good old days from a place where they failed to make a happy life previously.

But hey, thanks for dropping us a note to let us know that we're the ones with the perception problem.

Quote:
Gee, thanks. Where's your, "the doctor is in" sign? Your assessment of our current situation is completely off base; too bad for you your "suspicions" are wrong. Don't quit your day job, doc.
Well, you're the one who peppered your social media diatribe with vague references, what did you think was going to happen? Why did you even bother posting your break-up letter in an active community forum with people who either love living here or successfully relocated?

Old 12-28-2019, 05:38 AM

281 posts, read 187,052 times
Quote:
Congratulations on your move. I, too, have lived near the ocean for much of my life and would be hard pressed to find another area of the country that could fill that void. Perhaps while contemplating our next move we're putting too much pressure on ourselves to find the perfect fit. The more we analyze our situation, the more we begin to realize the next move is closer to our backyard than we think. I'm glad my wife expressed her feelings to me upon returning "home" from Raleigh, that she felt moving to the area wouldn't be the right decision to make. She's also a beach girl and loves the ocean. Fortunately, time is on our side and it'll allow us to make a more informed decision.
Why does there have to even be a "next move"?

Tbh it sounds like you're just restless and can't enjoy wherever you already are without feeling like you should be somewhere else. Maybe you're going through something unspecified that you truly "need" to move but so far you haven't said anything that makes a relocation ANYWHERE seem necessary. And where would you try Raleigh all over again? Relo is a pain in the ass, I'd say don't put yourself thru it unless you have something more than the random vague stuff you wrote. Best of luck to you though.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:29 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
So a half million dollar house is the new baseline for affordability? Yikes.
I admit I was surprised to find out that the current average/median both exceed $500K. However, about 40% of the 4/3 Cary homes sold for under $500K.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:43 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
as to the original question, I've basically lived here all of my 53+ years. So I've seen all the changes. All the positives outweigh the chief negative, that is, increased traffic and bad driving.

And it doesn't sound like you're committed to the area, so I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:46 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
For this ^^^ is probably why we left the area just a few days ago with a m e h feeling. You're a pretty miserable person who obviously takes joy in trying to rip apart a person. You enjoy the holidays and my wish for you is for 2020 to be better for you. God bless.
Your posts make no sense. You loved the things you did here, but felt meh on the area. Traffic got worse, but Cary hasn’t changed that much in 6 years that it would be unrecognizable. We don’t know why you left the area last time, you seem to have a happy life where you are, you seem resistant to liking this place. All of this is fine, but it makes for a confusing thread where you seem to be asking us to sell you on a place you seem to have no desire to be. Good luck and happy new year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary