U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:34 PM

242 posts, read 732,002 times

Advertisements

I'm retired and one of my hobbies is metal detecting.

Does anyone know of any specific places that I might be able to pursue my hobby?
I'm mainly interested in finding old American coins and old Civil War and Colonial relics.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 AM

13,169 posts, read 237,915 times
I hope we find someone to respond here, as I've heard there are many in the area who enjoy this hobby. I would be intersted to hear of some fun places to try. Also, what places are off limits?

I've heard that the local police departments in any town can tell you what area is and is not OK to explore with a metal detector when it comes to public property. Permission from the owner of private property is necessary. In some communities, if you violate the laws/rules, your metal detector can be confiscated.

I haven't been out because I'm chicken.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:08 PM

I've been doing a little detecting in the area. I'm having a tough time getting permission to hunt on private property, though.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:42 PM

163 posts, read 953,815 times
Friends have found many Civil War relics along the Roanoke River, especially during the rare occasions they drain the lakes for maintenance & hydrilla management. Seems there were many small look-out posts along the river. I discovered a good find near the Lake Gaston Dam -a small raised area 100yds from the current shore: bottles bayonet's cans coins. olso heard of finds down the river near Halifax/Weldon NC.

Other friends have found many Indian artifacts along the upper tributaries of the Roanoke Rapids Lake, mostly on the VA side.
I'd suspect similar findings along other major rivers.

hth

Old 04-22-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunWon View Post
Friends have found many Civil War relics along the Roanoke River, especially during the rare occasions they drain the lakes for maintenance & hydrilla management. Seems there were many small look-out posts along the river. I discovered a good find near the Lake Gaston Dam -a small raised area 100yds from the current shore: bottles bayonet's cans coins. olso heard of finds down the river near Halifax/Weldon NC.

Other friends have found many Indian artifacts along the upper tributaries of the Roanoke Rapids Lake, mostly on the VA side.
I'd suspect similar findings along other major rivers.

hth
That's really interesting information. Thank you for sharing that! I know just from readings in history that it was common to have settlements along rivers, in any area, not just around here. Native American Indians frequently settled along rivers, often where the land jutted out into the water a bit. Of course, with weather and currents, those points might have been changed or disappeared altogether over time. Reading the info at local historical societies would give some good leads to these places. Some might be on private property, though, so one must be careful not to trespass. I know that ballfields and other places where crowds gather are good places to search as well but, again, I don't know how to get permission. In some regions public parks are OK, other places parks are off limits. I'd venture to say that when all else fails, hit the beach!

Are there any metal detecting clubs around here?

Old 04-22-2008, 04:35 PM

You've got to be pretty careful about the parks. In NC, it's prohibited in state parks. I'm not sure about Raleigh city parks. It's ok in Wake Forest parks. There are several metal detectorists here in the Raleigh area and I think they've hit a lot of the parks, but they (we) always miss something.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsnc View Post
You've got to be pretty careful about the parks. In NC, it's prohibited in state parks. I'm not sure about Raleigh city parks. It's ok in Wake Forest parks. There are several metal detectorists here in the Raleigh area and I think they've hit a lot of the parks, but they (we) always miss something.
Yes, I figured it's prohibited in State parks. Let me know which parks you all missed.

I recall reading in the newspaper about a guy who went detectoring in Falls Lake when it was practically dry. Not sure what he found, but that might have been fun thing to do in the dry lakebed. Now, I'm wondering how/why he was allowed to do that. I clipped the article at the time intending to try to locate him, but unfortunately I didn't save it. rwsnc - that wasn't you, was it? that guy was retired too.

Thank you for all the inputs.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Yes, I figured it's prohibited in State parks. Let me know which parks you all missed.

I recall reading in the newspaper about a guy who went detectoring in Falls Lake when it was practically dry. Not sure what he found, but that might have been fun thing to do in the dry lakebed. Now, I'm wondering how/why he was allowed to do that. I clipped the article at the time intending to try to locate him, but unfortunately I didn't save it. rwsnc - that wasn't you, was it? that guy was retired too.

Thank you for all the inputs.
No, that wasn't me, but I did know of a guy who rode his bicycle to Falls Lake at night when the lake levels were so low. He found all kinds of rings and other jewelry. I understood that he sold a lot of it to a local jeweler.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:12 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,550,643 times
I like this topic and hope it continues since I'd love to learn about units, quality descriptions, what to look for when buying a unit and joining others who do it. Sounds like fun, especially out here. Providing it's not so doggoned restrictive where it puts you in the pokey.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:18 AM

4,607 posts, read 7,192,005 times
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/autumngal_photo/7_16_2.gif (broken link)

Granville is packed with history and alot of the land along the Tar River is still
untouched. Maybe call the county and ask if it is ok. The hiking along the river
bank is quite scenic and serene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary