Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:45 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Now... To wait for the other shoe to drop in a few months, to see the Tax Rates.

Find your new Wake County assessed value here: Real Estate Search
If I'm recalling correctly, the tax rate increase is generally nominal. In twelve years my property taxes never really jumped dramatically (went from around $1,850 in 2007 to $2,800 in 2019).

Any reason to be concerned this won't be true again this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Pony up folks, everybody still feeling good about passing those bonds?
I can't speak for everyone but I'm still feeling good. It would be naive to assume this wouldn't have happened were it not for the bonds, because this is a normal part of a healthy process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 08:47 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,869 times
I would be happy if I could sell my home at the newly assessed value, just not sure I could.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:48 AM

180 posts, read 96,450 times
Interesting, our assessment went down. Did not expect that.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:50 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,869 times
The house down the street from me that sold 4 months ago is now assessed $43,000 more than what they paid for it. The house had several price reductions before it sold, so not sure how the county came up with the new assessments.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:55 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
The house down the street from me that sold 4 months ago is now assessed $43,000 more than what they paid for it. The house had several price reductions before it sold, so not sure how the county came up with the new assessments.

Similar. Our neighbor's house is assessed for $47K less than they bought it for last fall.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:05 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
If I'm recalling correctly, the tax rate increase is generally nominal. In twelve years my property taxes never really jumped dramatically (went from around $1,850 in 2007 to $2,800 in 2019).

Typically, the tax rate is decreased, often to whats called a "revenue neutral" rate, which would mean that if your assessment increased the same percentage as the average overall assessment, your tax bill would remain the same.

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone but I'm still feeling good. It would be naive to assume this wouldn't have happened were it not for the bonds, because this is a normal part of a healthy process.
Their is no connection between a bond issuance and the assessment process.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:10 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
they didn't magically decide all values as of 12/31/19, taking into account all sales during the fall.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:09 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:

Some would call a 51% increase over 12 years almost dramatic. Would be of value if someone can figure out how much of that was caused by bond issuances.

As to whether the tax rates will drop by 20% to be revenue neutral ... I do know the Raleigh City Council has great aspirations, and don't think they'll only be seeking a housing bond.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:02 PM

261 posts, read 307,351 times
This all seems like such a subjective bunch of BS. The value of my property decreased significantly. On the real estate market value and what I can sell for this really sucks. On the property tax side of things, if it works that way it's supposed to I should see a very healthy decrease there.

How is this done? What is it based on? Why would a home's value decrease by 15% + when the average in the county is said to be increasing by 20%?

Old 01-14-2020, 12:08 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post
This all seems like such a subjective bunch of BS. The value of my property decreased significantly. On the real estate market value and what I can sell for this really sucks. On the property tax side of things, if it works that way it's supposed to I should see a very healthy decrease there.

How is this done? What is it based on? Why would a home's value decrease by 15% + when the average in the county is said to be increasing by 20%?

Accept the lower assessment. You will pay lower taxes and no one but a fool will care about assessment vs. market value if you desire to sell.

This is done by AVM, by an algorithm used legitimately, that considers nearby sales and guesses at a market value for your property as of 1/1/2020.
If it really bothers you, contact Wake County and tell them they are low, that you should be 20% higher. They will be motivated by revenue and will change it in a flash.
I suggest you not do that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary