Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 05:13 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Let me simplify...

The ASSESSED VALUE of your home is NOT the MARKET VALUE. Therefore, do not think that this is what your home is worth.

The new tax RATES won't be determined until spring so you won't know if your tax bill will go up. Typically, it is a small increase.
10% tax increase last year is little? It was for the schools though, which we know 100% of that money will be used for it's intended purpose

Also that small increase will be much larger with the new assessment. The county is setting it up to start generating a lot more money in taxes over the long haul. This year probably wont be much but my guess is next year will be higher once the shock of the new assessment wears off. It will continue to climb. Don't worry everyone, just keep voting the same way. Once our area becomes unaffordable you can just move onto the next state with low taxes and ruin that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 06:49 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
34% increase is nominal?
$1850 in 2007 adjusted to today’s dollars is about $2350, so the $2800 figure would be about 19% in real dollars. Without knowing how that particular home appreciated relative to the average appreciation in the country, hard to draw any firm conclusions.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:29 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
10% tax increase last year is little? It was for the schools though, which we know 100% of that money will be used for it's intended purpose

Also that small increase will be much larger with the new assessment. The county is setting it up to start generating a lot more money in taxes over the long haul. This year probably wont be much but my guess is next year will be higher once the shock of the new assessment wears off. It will continue to climb. Don't worry everyone, just keep voting the same way. Once our area becomes unaffordable you can just move onto the next state with low taxes and ruin that one.

Thankfully we have some time, given places some of us "ruined" like MA, RI, NH, OH, NY, CT, IL, NJ have property tax rates ranging from 42% higher (MA) all the way to 184% higher (NJ).

I personally will try harder.

Last edited by GVoR; 01-16-2020 at 07:45 AM..

Old 01-16-2020, 08:37 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottfitz View Post
How can a 2400 sq ft home that was recently completely renovated in N Hills- Collingswood and Wimbledon area in particular, be valued at $112k while my 1000 sq ft home is valued at $114k? I see that they are giving the land more value in 27609 but that is WAY less than what the building values should be in that neighborhood.
define "recently" in "completely renovated" - 2018? or since? did it sell upon renovation? were all the appropriate permits filed?

Old 01-16-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottfitz View Post
I reviewed several of the North Hills homes in the Collingswood, Wimbledon area. This does not appear to be a mistake. All of the homes that I looked at that were not new construction, are incredibly under valued! Take a look. When asking the county about it, they did not answer my question but instead mentioned the appeal process. .
are you saying because other homes are undervalued, you want your value dropped?

Unless they've changed again (and I don't recall this tax calculator being available before), the appeal is basically limited to:

They've overvalued your house because...

1. Their information is incorrect - your house is NOT as large as they have it listed.
2. The effective grade they assign is too high.
3. They somehow got your lot size wrong.
4. the value of your lot is too high because of some utilization issue (odd shape or maybe you've got a creek running through the middle, and so not worth as much as the teardown 3 doors away).

It really is simple:

Would you sell your home for the tax value?

a. if "hell yes, it's crazy high!!" then dispute it.
b. if "my house is worth more than that, but I disagree for any of 1,000 reasons" then DON'T.

Old 01-16-2020, 08:54 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times
Default Real Estate tax appeal backfired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Theres no reason not to file an appeal.
Be careful!

After the most recent county-wide appraisal I observed that the land value for every lot in my subdivision was identical. That seemed wrong because some lots were larger than others. Considerably larger.

I appealed in writing and subsequently appeared in person to make my case. My appeal backfired! The entire subdivision was re-appraised and most land values were increased!

Old 01-16-2020, 10:28 AM

230 posts, read 255,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
define "recently" in "completely renovated" - 2018? or since? did it sell upon renovation? were all the appropriate permits filed?
This house in particular was purchased for below market value in 2015 for 225k. Permits were pulled, they remodeled interior to change it to an open floor plan on main level, finished the basement, added bathroom(s, I think expanded the master and added screened in porch plus deck. It's beautiful on the inside. This is a relative's house. I may be a little bitter because I know his house is worth a lot more than my tiny home, but the county says my 1000 sq ft house is valued more than his but his 0.25 acres is worth $200k more than my 1.28 acres. The county responded to a question I asked yesterday and they said the land value plus building value should be the current market value for each home.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:26 PM

18,084 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Saw the value on my house and it went up a bit over 21%. Will be interesting to see if the actual tax increase is similar to the projected amount according to the nominal tax calculator.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:33 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Saw the value on my house and it went up a bit over 21%. Will be interesting to see if the actual tax increase is similar to the projected amount according to the nominal tax calculator.
My assessed value went up 34.4%, with a projected tax increase of 13%. Hope it doesn't come in higher than that!

Old 01-17-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
Purchased end of 2018 in a new development, but then sales slowed. Prices were lowered in the 3rd and 4th quarters of 2019 to sell the units. Comparable units have sold in Nov/Dec2019 at what I paid or even a couple thousand less. However, the county has increased my assessed value $15k, probably based on homes that closed in February 2019 (right before they started lowering prices). I can name the lower cost units and prices, should I try contesting with the county?

nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary