Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2020, 10:11 AM

75 posts, read 63,930 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the area Feb 1st. I graduated recently with a B.S. in IT and did a 4 month internship with the county (currently in FL). I will be scouting out the whole Research Triangle area for a entry IT job.

Entry level IT jobs would be mostly support roles like Help desk or Desktop support.

I could use any advice on good ways to make connections. Networking advice. Like meetups I should be aware of or hiring events. I don't know anyone there so networking will be key.

Also any advice on companies I should be looking at would be great. Also recruiters.

Thanks to those who have already helped me on my past post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 10:26 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton93 View Post
I will be relocating to the area Feb 1st. I graduated recently with a B.S. in IT and did a 4 month internship with the county (currently in FL). I will be scouting out the whole Research Triangle area for a entry IT job.

Entry level IT jobs would be mostly support roles like Help desk or Desktop support.

I could use any advice on good ways to make connections. Networking advice. Like meetups I should be aware of or hiring events. I don't know anyone there so networking will be key.

Also any advice on companies I should be looking at would be great. Also recruiters.

Thanks to those who have already helped me on my past post.

1. Check out Vaco (IT recruiting firm with offices here in Raleigh). I think Robert Half has offices also.

2. You mentioned your degree has a focus on Cyber Security. I am not sure I would limit myself to "entry level Help Desk/Desktop support". I have worked in IT since 2005, never once worked on a help desk/support queue team and my degree is in Resource Economics (took one class dealing with Databases in College). Not that Help Desk/Support is a bad gig to pursue, but it can be the "dead end off ramp" of IT; meaning you took an entry level help desk job and after two years try to jump into Cyber Security...the Cyber Security guys I used to work with at a bank up north would not take troubleshooting Windows 10 blue screens of death as "experience" for the roles they are looking to hire for.

3. As I mentioned in your other thread, I would check out companies like Red Hat, IBM, Cisco, Epic Games,any of the banks in town, Marketing firms which handle PPI/NPPI like Harte Hanks are all over Cyber Security, or even specific Cyber Security Firms like LookingGlass. Look at the colleges too. With all the new privacy regulations coming out such as the CCPA here in the US and GDPR in the EU, data privacy is going to be the next wave of IT "gold mine" work.

4. Search Indeed/LinkedIn/Glassdoor/Dice for "Cyber Security Entry Level" or "Cyber Intelligence Analyst" or "Forensics Analyst"

5. I can't help with networking stuff. I brought my job with me here from MA and my client is in Manhattan...further my employer doesn't even have desks for employees below a certain title...I've literally never met anyone in the Triangle who works for the same Consulting firm I do in the three years we've been here.

ETA - You could also check out the Consulting firms like PWC, Accenture, Deloitte and to a lesser extent TATA. They all have Cyber Security practices they RFP out to clients in just about every industry you could imagine. Further, you're a recent college grad....they prefer you to what they call "Experienced Hires" because they have a better chance for you to be a Kool-Aid drinker (which can be a positive since they internally promote lifer hires more than they promote/reward the experienced hires). However, that could put you on the road/client facing on site a lot

Last edited by GVoR; 01-15-2020 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-15-2020, 01:28 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
What kind of degree do you have? Is it a BS?

Old 01-15-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
What kind of degree do you have? Is it a BS?
Yes. BS in Information Technology Management and Cybersecurity. From an Accredited College in Florida. Indian River State College

Old 01-15-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
1. Check out Vaco (IT recruiting firm with offices here in Raleigh). I think Robert Half has offices also.

2. You mentioned your degree has a focus on Cyber Security. I am not sure I would limit myself to "entry level Help Desk/Desktop support". I have worked in IT since 2005, never once worked on a help desk/support queue team and my degree is in Resource Economics (took one class dealing with Databases in College). Not that Help Desk/Support is a bad gig to pursue, but it can be the "dead end off ramp" of IT; meaning you took an entry level help desk job and after two years try to jump into Cyber Security...the Cyber Security guys I used to work with at a bank up north would not take troubleshooting Windows 10 blue screens of death as "experience" for the roles they are looking to hire for.

3. As I mentioned in your other thread, I would check out companies like Red Hat, IBM, Cisco, Epic Games,any of the banks in town, Marketing firms which handle PPI/NPPI like Harte Hanks are all over Cyber Security, or even specific Cyber Security Firms like LookingGlass. Look at the colleges too. With all the new privacy regulations coming out such as the CCPA here in the US and GDPR in the EU, data privacy is going to be the next wave of IT "gold mine" work.

4. Search Indeed/LinkedIn/Glassdoor/Dice for "Cyber Security Entry Level" or "Cyber Intelligence Analyst" or "Forensics Analyst"

5. I can't help with networking stuff. I brought my job with me here from MA and my client is in Manhattan...further my employer doesn't even have desks for employees below a certain title...I've literally never met anyone in the Triangle who works for the same Consulting firm I do in the three years we've been here.

ETA - You could also check out the Consulting firms like PWC, Accenture, Deloitte and to a lesser extent TATA. They all have Cyber Security practices they RFP out to clients in just about every industry you could imagine. Further, you're a recent college grad....they prefer you to what they call "Experienced Hires" because they have a better chance for you to be a Kool-Aid drinker (which can be a positive since they internally promote lifer hires more than they promote/reward the experienced hires). However, that could put you on the road/client facing on site a lot
Thanks, That's a lot of helpful advice!

Old 01-16-2020, 06:51 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton93 View Post
Yes. BS in Information Technology Management and Cybersecurity. From an Accredited College in Florida. Indian River State College
Ok, then don't limit your "entry level" search to crappy help desk positions, if you can avoid it. GVoR gave great advice on a job hunt. I'd also mention that there is a local meetup group called TriCy. Not sure if they're still active, but it's worth a look. Also, there is a local ISSA chapter. And in the Fall, there is a big InfoSeCon at the Raleigh Convention Center -- great place to meet folks and network.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:47 PM

42 posts, read 23,446 times
Your fields are outside my domain, but here are a couple of meetups for cyber security:

https://www.meetup.com/DefCon919/ - I attended one meetup here a long time ago, because there was a presentation on a topic i wanted to hear more about. Folks were friendly even though I wasn't in the field. And I got the sense that they helped each other. Worth looking into.

https://www.meetup.com/RaleighISSA/ - haven't been to this one. But their list of upcoming events looks interesting.

I would also suggest attending other tech meetups if time permits, because you never know.

Also, agree with what GVoR says - don't restrict yourself to entry level help desk. An IT acquaintance did some certifications (studying only, no hands on experience) and got offers in an area that they had no prior experience in.

Good luck! You can & will do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: