Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 03:33 AM

812 posts, read 831,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanFischlerHockE View Post
I drove around Apex this past weekend in areas off of Jenks and HW 64. Damn so much construction it was unreal to me, so many town homes and single family homes so tightly packed together. Who wants to live at these places? I don't get it.
Because many buyers are determined to buy new or nothing. There usually are perfectly fine resales available in established (ie older) neighborhoods that often offer a better location (closer to employment and amenities -thus developed first) along with larger lots and trees! These homes usually are less expensive than new build as well. However, a significant portion of buyers take a hard pass on "older homes" because they don't meet their HGTV influenced expectations aesthetically. Also, they might not be assigned to the "IT schools". Lots of people just like new things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 05:48 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiaroma View Post
Don’t know how many kids have a bus ride that long, it was just reported in the newspaper article that was linked.
In New Hampshire where we currently live, Private schools generally start at $37,000/year for non-boarding day students. That is expensive. I don’t know what prices are in the triangle, but must have some less expensive options.
Does anyone know about Thales Academy which is only about $6,000/year?
Have a friend that pulled her younger kid out of WCPSS at middle school and is pretty happy at Thales. She wanted to pull her high schooler but of course he didn’t want to transfer.

The hour long bus rides were floated BY THE BOE at the last board meeting. Again all of this is public information that the BOE is putting out and their meetings are broadcast live and available for upload on YouTube afterward.

Old 01-23-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Because many buyers are determined to buy new.
This. Especially when new to the area. They just assume new is well built,too.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:22 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,149,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
The closer they are, the more money the developer makes. Could everyone in Apex have a 1 acre lot?
I guess people don't care about open space. If one of these houses goes on fire no chance the entire neighborhood goes up in flames. Either way its not my problem I refuse to live there.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
37K is high. I believe the number is closer to 20-25K here. I'll re-read the article (haven't read since it came out) - my ? was more directed at local folks. I know there are some neighborhoods in West Wake where the first kids are picked up an hour before school. I just don't think it's widespread, as some would lead inbound folks to believe.

another reason for long bus rides here is the 3-tier busing system where the same bus picks up high schoolers, middle schoolers and then elementary kids. The more crowded the school the earlier the bus is coming to come so it doesn't get caught in traffic. When my kids were at Davis Drive Elementary, the bus came at 6:45, arrived at DDE about 6:55 after making a couple more stops and then would sit in the bus loop till 7:15 when the school opened for the kids. Then the bus driver would take off to do her next route. Nowadays, with 200 less kids at DDE that same bus comes at 7:08.

Same with GHHS - when my son was a freshman the bus came at 6:40. Now it comes about 6:58. There's about 400 less kids now than there were then.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:28 PM

14 posts, read 36,523 times
This extra information was helpful regarding the schools and actual bus times.
I did find a realtor who will be showing me around the area next week.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:49 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,355,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what % (or raw number) of kids are on this legendary "1-hour each way" bus ride I keep hearing about?
No idea. There are some long bus rides to Millbrook High School as the school district snakes its way up Creedmoor Rd to Hwy 98 and then west from there. Pickup times start at 5:45 and target arriving at the school at 6:45; I have no idea if they actually make it there that early. School starts at 7:25, so some kids are picked up 1hr 40m before the school starts.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:24 PM

The bus routes for each school should be accessible on the transportation link on the school's homepage and will show start time of the route and arrival time at the school.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:43 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
Yes! The big soccer organization is ncfc. It’s located near Wake Forest..so either wake forest or North Raleigh would work for you. Heritage subdivision in Wake Forest has tons of kids in the 13 year old range. The homes are 10 to 14 years old and it seems that people moved here with young babies or toddlers in the beginning because there’s a lot of middle school age kids here. The middle and high school are ranked very high for the heritage neighborhood. People are welcoming of course depends on individual neighbors.
This ^^^!

Heritage is one of my favorite neighborhoods. Always desirable and always holds it's value well.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:36 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
No idea. There are some long bus rides to Millbrook High School as the school district snakes its way up Creedmoor Rd to Hwy 98 and then west from there. Pickup times start at 5:45 and target arriving at the school at 6:45; I have no idea if they actually make it there that early. School starts at 7:25, so some kids are picked up 1hr 40m before the school starts.
very true. at the same time, it has nothing to do with long bus rides forced by any reassignment or capped schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary