Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 06:40 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times

Advertisements

Whether you pay for a replacement now or as part of a reduction when you sell, you're paying for it. If it's financially possible to replace the unit, do that now. It sends a message to buyers that the house was well cared for and helps move things along.

Someone close to me is selling a house with an old, fully functioning HVAC and every prospective buyer asked for a reduction because of the age of the HVAC and concerns they'd have to replace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 09:06 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
I ran into a similar problem with a 14 year old heat pump system at my office. I wanted to "band aid" the problem by having the service company refilling the R22, as long as it was still available. The problem was that the cost of R22 sharply increased in price, so I was looking at $ 350.00 per filling twice per year, so it was throwing good money after bad. Bit the bullit but had little choice but to replace the system.

Regarding the OP selling his house, I would guess that any perspective buyer would at least discount the offer by the same amount as it would cost to replace the unit. It will be flagged during the Home Inspection.
I've been thinking about replacing my systems. I'd assume I would get credit for my remaining R-22. Think this would be the case?

Old 01-23-2020, 09:15 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
FYI: the average lifetime for a residential split-system HVAC unit in the US is 15 years (per ASHRAE, assuming standard maintenance and usage).
Google: "average lifetime for a residential split-system HVAC unit +ASHRAE"

Old 01-23-2020, 09:42 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Someone close to me is selling a house with an old, fully functioning HVAC and every prospective buyer asked for a reduction because of the age of the HVAC and concerns they'd have to replace it.
That makes sense, I'd sure do the same (not that I DID when I bought this house, but I was clueless and know more now...).

I'm resigned to it - got a very high quote yesterday and two more people coming by today. It outlasted its life expectancy. The upside is, that heat pump is right outside my bedroom window, and I'm hoping the new one might be a bit more quiet.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:03 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,314 times
We've had Matson Mechanical from Cary come out a few times in the last 9 months. We're about to replace our Trane dual fuel unit in the next few weeks before it starts getting warm again. This one is only 12 years and has a coolant leak that the previous owners had to know about. That was a crappy thing to do. At least you got 20 years out of yours, I'd say that's a good run.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:16 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
We've had Matson Mechanical from Cary come out a few times in the last 9 months. We're about to replace our Trane dual fuel unit in the next few weeks before it starts getting warm again. This one is only 12 years and has a coolant leak that the previous owners had to know about. That was a crappy thing to do. At least you got 20 years out of yours, I'd say that's a good run.

Matson Mechanical, AKA, Maximum Mechanical.
https://www.max-mech.com/
Good people.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
True! Though I've only lived here seven years. But I did get more out of it than I thought I might. So sorry you have to replace yours.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:00 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
True! Though I've only lived here seven years. But I did get more out of it than I thought I might. So sorry you have to replace yours.

I posted here about it over the summer, not realizing it was a coolant leak. So we put more in and it lasted 2 weeks. But those were the best two weeks the whole season

I'll never take HVAC for granted again! It's a lot of money but definitely worth it. I hope you get good quotes and it's as painless as possible. If you want, I'll share my experience with you once we replace ours.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:49 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Hubby kept having our HVAC guy put in Freon every summer for about 5 years. I guess the $200 per summer made sense to HIM!

And then...the hottest Friday of the summer came. As I walked upstairs, I could feel the temperature getting hotter and hotter. I don't deal well with that kind of heat so I called our HVAC guy and said...IT IS TIME!

He actually pickup up the new unit that Friday and replaced it that Saturday. Great guy! He saved Hubby's life!

Old 01-24-2020, 01:54 PM

Mine has been working so well, I almost feel like I'm about to get an operation on the wrong leg!

But it is time. The heat is mostly coming from the heat strips.

I got three quotes and there was a $3,000 difference between the highest and lowest, sigh. I did go with the lowest, but they came recommended by a couple of people, including one local property manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary