Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 06:53 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
1990's.... Before the dawn of the unpartitioned un-cube farm.
Of course, many people can get more done, better, at home than in current wide open environments.

I worked at a bank up north that tried the "bingo parlor" open office concept before moving to a "remote if you want to" work concept.

My current employer has 490K employees. Less than 1% even have a desk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 07:07 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Umm, I think you've forgotten that not everyone works in an office or behind a computer screen. The hardworking person who is changing the oil in my car can't telecommute. Same for millions who perform so-called 'blue collar jobs.'
Teachers too. I saw a post from a teacher acquaintance on Facebook where she was lamenting trying to decide if she just was feeling rundown and had a cold and should push on through, or whether it was something worse and she should call for a sub, knowing that subs can be difficult to find at the last minute.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:33 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Quote:

Umm, I think you've forgotten that not everyone works in an office or behind a computer screen. The hardworking person who is changing the oil in my car can't telecommute. Same for millions who perform so-called 'blue collar jobs.'
Umm, is there a reason said person could not wear a mask to contain his/her contagious germiness, especially if they are in close proximity to coworkers and/or customers? If they're sharing any equipment it's especially important to wipe down or spray that equipment (be it an office phone, a keyboard, a cash register, with an antibacterial), or is that too much to ask?

If they're not in close proximity to others and they want to come to work while ill, then have at it.

Some consideration and simple common sense sure go a long way.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:23 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Umm, is there a reason said person could not wear a mask to contain his/her contagious germiness, especially if they are in close proximity to coworkers and/or customers? If they're sharing any equipment it's especially important to wipe down or spray that equipment (be it an office phone, a keyboard, a cash register, with an antibacterial), or is that too much to ask?

If they're not in close proximity to others and they want to come to work while ill, then have at it.

Some consideration and simple common sense sure go a long way.
Excellent suggestion.

I've been to Japan. I'd guess at least 50% of the population wear these masks all the time. Probably more in Tokyo. Whether they are ill or not - because the culture includes other reasons for the masks. Allergies, pollen, air pollution. You'd be surprised at how many wear them to cover cosmetic imperfections like pimples and bad teeth, and for women who didn't put on makeup. (In Beijing and Bangkok, it's mostly because of horrendous air pollution.)

I don't see our culture embracing this. I did it on a plane coming back from Japan because I had caught a cold and still had the cough. You've no idea of the looks I got from non-Asians. One asked me how my chemo was going (no, I'm not kidding). Others made obvious physical attempts to avoid being anywhere near me, like crossing to the aisle on the other side of the plane. By the time I got off the plane, I felt like a leper.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:15 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
If wearing a mask allowed me to have an empty middle seat between me and another passenger or even an empty aisle to myself, I'd be pulling out a mask tout de suite on every flight.

It doesn't require an entire population to embrace this custom -- if only the people insisting on coming to work sick (and specifically the people who are closely situated to or interact closely with other people) used some measures, it would greatly cut down on the spread to others. Think of a medical center or hospital. Imagine if the doctor or nurse came in to see you, their patient, unmasked and ungloved, and started coughing while checking your heart. That wouldn't be appreciated and you'd wonder why a healthcare professional was exposing you to whatever.

By contrast, some construction guy 10 stories up working on a building or operating a crane is not spewing his/her germs on others since there is separation between people and generally open air.

Common sense tactics. A little goes a long way.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:23 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
I'm at home with Flu Type A. Tested positive almost a week ago (Thursday - today is Wednesday...I think). First symptoms (cough) started Wednesday. I don't remember Thursday and Friday. Spent both days in bed mostly asleep. Still have the cough, and rattling in my chest. And yes - I got the flu shot. This thing is serious.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:13 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
I'm at home with Flu Type A. Tested positive almost a week ago (Thursday - today is Wednesday...I think). First symptoms (cough) started Wednesday. I don't remember Thursday and Friday. Spent both days in bed mostly asleep. Still have the cough, and rattling in my chest. And yes - I got the flu shot. This thing is serious.
Yuck! I'm sorry, I hope you feel better soon!

I had something similar back in December. I also had the flu shot. It could have been another nasty virus, I didn't go to the doctor, but I can say that the high fever, aches and overall feeling of misery made me think I had the flu. But I kept telling myself that I'd had the shot, plus it only lasted about 36 hours (of misery) and then it was just crud in my chest and a nasty cough. The fever had eased up immensely, until evening, but tylenol kept that in check.

Last edited by goldenlove; 01-29-2020 at 05:34 PM..

Old 01-29-2020, 05:50 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,424 times
I have been told by a health professional that this years shot didn't quite match up with the current strain of the flu. It seems to be a bad one too.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:37 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
A few years ago, I wore a mask on a plane from Raleigh to NYC because I was visiting my sister who was with her husband who was getting a stem cell transplant for a brain tumor. I didn't want to be the one bringing in nasty germs from the plane -- he would not have been able to fight off any illness. The only person who glared at me on the plane was the flight attendant. No one else batted an eyelash or treated me differently. BTW, the stem cell transplant was a success.

These days, I would wear a mask on any flight I took. No big deal.

Quote:
Excellent suggestion.

I've been to Japan. I'd guess at least 50% of the population wear these masks all the time. Probably more in Tokyo. Whether they are ill or not - because the culture includes other reasons for the masks. Allergies, pollen, air pollution. You'd be surprised at how many wear them to cover cosmetic imperfections like pimples and bad teeth, and for women who didn't put on makeup. (In Beijing and Bangkok, it's mostly because of horrendous air pollution.)

I don't see our culture embracing this. I did it on a plane coming back from Japan because I had caught a cold and still had the cough. You've no idea of the looks I got from non-Asians. One asked me how my chemo was going (no, I'm not kidding). Others made obvious physical attempts to avoid being anywhere near me, like crossing to the aisle on the other side of the plane. By the time I got off the plane, I felt like a leper.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:16 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
A few years ago, I wore a mask on a plane from Raleigh to NYC because I was visiting my sister who was with her husband who was getting a stem cell transplant for a brain tumor. I didn't want to be the one bringing in nasty germs from the plane -- he would not have been able to fight off any illness. The only person who glared at me on the plane was the flight attendant. No one else batted an eyelash or treated me differently. BTW, the stem cell transplant was a success.

These days, I would wear a mask on any flight I took. No big deal.
I will say that there is a benefit to wearing a mask on flights, especially those with open seating (Southwest). In the US where masks are very uncommon, no one wants to sit next to you when wearing a mask! LOL! I had to travel for work and was getting over an illness that I didn't want to share, so I wore a mask. It was a fairly full flight, but there were a few empty seats ... and wouldn't you know it, I had the whole row to myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary