Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 04:17 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
So this is interesting. Our HOA just got a request from a neighbor who has asked to stop the landscaping crews from leafblowing, as the author states that the virus can be alive and floating in the air up to several hours. The homeowner feels even more trapped in their house and is not comfortable to open doors and windows now.

thoughts?
People with mental issues are really struggling with the anxiety of all of this. I would ask them to submit something from a reliable source citing the danger.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:24 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
So this is interesting. Our HOA just got a request from a neighbor who has asked to stop the landscaping crews from leafblowing, as the author states that the virus can be alive and floating in the air up to several hours. The homeowner feels even more trapped in their house and is not comfortable to open doors and windows now.

thoughts?
Seems weird to me, but even weirder that an entire town in Westchester (NY) banned them:

Leaf blowers banned for use in Sleepy Hollow for duration of cor

Old 04-08-2020, 06:44 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
Risk of spread from that seems extraordinarily unlikely, though I do dislike the fact that apparently landscaping is an essential service (seriously???). I promise you no tragedy will emerge from a few weeks of slightly unkempt common areas. It just seems the pinnacle of super-finicky HOA behavior.

Ours are still out too. Only thing that annoys me as they seem entirely oblivious to the concept of social distancing. I cross the street if they are working on one side and have literally had them cross back and forth to whatever side I'm on when I'm obviously trying to give them a wide berth when out for my morning run. Though that even predates COVID given I have grass allergies.
I think it is one of the few industries that is able to function with minimal disruption in this situation. They are not impacting anyone else so why shudder these businesses if you don't have to.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:38 AM

715 posts, read 1,039,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
I hate that one even pre-pandemic. Have stopped going to it. It's closest to my house but it's a big nope. I hear the one on 9th St. is better and more well stocked.
Dang, the secret is out of the bag: the 9th Street Teet IS nicer than other Durm locations IMHO

--I've been also to Woodcroft/Hwy 54, Southsquare/Commons at U. Ave, Willowhaven, and North Pointe/old Kroger, and TW Alexander at 70/Glenwood, and for my money, 9th is superior to all of the above.

I go to 9th for food, etc instead of the one (Willowhaven / Horton and Guess Rd's) our scripts are at and which is closest to our home. The folks at 9th are friendlier And more helpful. If an employee is walking up an aisle toward you, they invariably ask 'are you finding everything ok?' and if I need help finding something, they lead me To the item, even if it's across the store. Morning manager pulled me some King Arthurs all purpose flour off a pallet in the back when they only had whole wheat out on the shelves -- a couple weeks ago-- so regular all purpose had been picked clean with COVID19. Sure meant a lot to me.

Cashiers talk to me too, which I like.

The store seems more neighborhoody too - with all those new condos and apartments that shot up off 9th and W. Main. Nothing wrong with a suburban Harris Teeter, but 9th has a different community vibe, to me.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:29 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
Risk of spread from that seems extraordinarily unlikely, though I do dislike the fact that apparently landscaping is an essential service (seriously???). I promise you no tragedy will emerge from a few weeks of slightly unkempt common areas. It just seems the pinnacle of super-finicky HOA behavior.

Ours are still out too. Only thing that annoys me as they seem entirely oblivious to the concept of social distancing. I cross the street if they are working on one side and have literally had them cross back and forth to whatever side I'm on when I'm obviously trying to give them a wide berth when out for my morning run. Though that even predates COVID given I have grass allergies.
It's kind of complicated. There are good reasons why it is considered "essential," at least inasmuch as it merits the same consideration as plenty of others on the "essential" list.

If you don't stay on top of mowing, it becomes a much bigger problem. When i first bought my house the lawn had been mowed maybe two weeks before closing, and in the hurry of moving and not having a mower, I let it go another two weeks. I had to rent a brush hog (actually, a van to haul it from Home Depot and a brush mower) to knock it down to where I could use my regular mower. And my regular mower isn't teeny; it's a riding mower with 19 hp. Basically, two weeks of oversight cost me $200 by the time I was finished.

Do you like snakes? How about rodents? I'm being facetious but if you let a lawn go (and it doesn't take long to get way out of hand, especially this time of year) you will end up with rodents and snakes, and the risk that the rodents will then look to your home when it gets colder. BTDT with snakes in the unmowed yard.

You also do run the risk of fire if things are dry and overgown. I saw that happen on an unkempt corner lot a mile from my house a couple years ago. The fire department put it out before it got out of hand but still, it could have been bad.

On top of all that, when you think about the fact that they're outside, and rarely in contact with others outside of their crew, it isn't like they're working inside of a nursing home or restaurant, it makes sense not to have the same restrictions for folks in jobs that pose lower risks of spreading the disease.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think it depends on the "lag", and nobody really knows.

Take this for what it's worth, but I've also read that there's incentive from a funding perspective for hospitals to claim a death as COVID versus pneumonia. I have no idea of the validity of that statement.
It's kind of weird to me though, a chicken-egg argument. COVID is a virus, a COVID infection can cause pneumonia, which is a condition, as can any number of viruses or bacteria.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:16 PM

368 posts, read 295,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It's kind of weird to me though, a chicken-egg argument. COVID is a virus, a COVID infection can cause pneumonia, which is a condition, as can any number of viruses or bacteria.
My guess is that anybody who dies and has the virus will be considered a COVID death, even if the "actual" cause was pneumonia. Similar to how almost anybody with AIDS back in the '80s would have the death attributed to that, rather than pneumonia, or anything else.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
My guess is that anybody who dies and has the virus will be considered a COVID death, even if the "actual" cause was pneumonia. Similar to how almost anybody with AIDS back in the '80s would have the death attributed to that, rather than pneumonia, or anything else.
That's a good point.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:52 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It's kind of complicated. There are good reasons why it is considered "essential," at least inasmuch as it merits the same consideration as plenty of others on the "essential" list.

If you don't stay on top of mowing, it becomes a much bigger problem. When i first bought my house the lawn had been mowed maybe two weeks before closing, and in the hurry of moving and not having a mower, I let it go another two weeks. I had to rent a brush hog (actually, a van to haul it from Home Depot and a brush mower) to knock it down to where I could use my regular mower. And my regular mower isn't teeny; it's a riding mower with 19 hp. Basically, two weeks of oversight cost me $200 by the time I was finished.

Do you like snakes? How about rodents? I'm being facetious but if you let a lawn go (and it doesn't take long to get way out of hand, especially this time of year) you will end up with rodents and snakes, and the risk that the rodents will then look to your home when it gets colder. BTDT with snakes in the unmowed yard.

You also do run the risk of fire if things are dry and overgown. I saw that happen on an unkempt corner lot a mile from my house a couple years ago. The fire department put it out before it got out of hand but still, it could have been bad.

On top of all that, when you think about the fact that they're outside, and rarely in contact with others outside of their crew, it isn't like they're working inside of a nursing home or restaurant, it makes sense not to have the same restrictions for folks in jobs that pose lower risks of spreading the disease.
The good news in this situation is that the snakes, if they are doing their job, will keep the rodent population at bay during the warmer parts of the year. [And I hate snakes.]

Old 04-09-2020, 03:29 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,661 times
Just watched the neighbors pack the car. I guess they're going to see family for Easter. I'm willing to bet we see a small spike in cases 1-2 weeks after Easter that ends up dragging this out even longer. Morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary