Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2020, 03:44 AM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Again with the assumptions. I didn’t say they were neighbors. And I didn’t assume anything. I know people who have told me their plans.

But you’re still making assumptions about your neighbors. MYOB.
Yes. That they're stupid. I already know this from other interactions. And those were two independent sentences. You can have friends and neighbors. But you are clearly living in a higher social circle than I am. Everyone I know is more concerned about their jobs, mortgages and bills than getting away to their empty vacation homes. What will they do without their second income?

Make your own beer?

Last edited by cowboy_wilhelm; 04-10-2020 at 04:01 AM..

Old 04-10-2020, 03:50 AM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Cowboy,

Complaining on an Internet forum doesn't change or fix anything.

What is it you want to happen in your specific case with your neighbors? What are you planning to do? Report them to someone?
Nope. I'm not a "communist" as CardinalRed suggested. Simply making an observation from an event that occurred before me that is likely being repeated across the county and will lead to an increase in virus cases when we're showing signs of the curve flattening. But this is America, where we have the freedom to be stupid.

Quote:
Darwinism. People who refuse to abide by the stay at home order and social distancing guidelines are choosing to put themselves and their family members (or others) they come into contact with, at a greater risk.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:27 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
Thanks for the more accurate and detailed explanation..

I think I’m talking more about the media’s description of the cause of death. They tend to jump to the simpler and (in some cases more sensational) one.
I doubt the media is looking at everyone’s death certificates. The bottom line is that it’s going to be a long long time till we know the true number of cases or deaths. Bottom line is the prediction of the healthcare system being crushed is being proven in certain areas with NYC getting the most attention. The whole point was to try to avoid that but DeBozio told everyone to go out and enjoy plays, games and parades.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:33 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Cowboy,

Complaining on an Internet forum doesn't change or fix anything.

What is it you want to happen in your specific case with your neighbors? What are you planning to do? Report them to someone?
All he was doing was making an observation about things that are likely to happen across the country this weekend and he’s not wrong. Jeesh- the idea that someone is going to travel from one house to another and have every single they need is patently ridiculous to anyone who has travelled with a family. The order is STAY.AT.HOME. People who live int these vacation areas don’t want the citiots visiting them either.

I keep coming back to the saying “your grandparents were asked to go to war. You’re being asked to stay home”. Some people truly need some perspective.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:55 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
Yes. That they're stupid. I already know this from other interactions. And those were two independent sentences. You can have friends and neighbors. But you are clearly living in a higher social circle than I am. Everyone I know is more concerned about their jobs, mortgages and bills than getting away to their empty vacation homes. What will they do without their second income?

Make your own beer?
I think that was probably an attempt to insult me, but frankly it didn't make sense.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:56 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
Nope. I'm not a "communist" as CardinalRed suggested. Simply making an ASSUMPTION from an event that occurred before me ....
Fixed it for you.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:22 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
I couldn't find the post where I was talking with the car insurance adjuster about overall crashes going down, but I just read an article that points to the fact that through all this, the rate of car crashes and injuries/fatalities attributed to them have actually gone up:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2020/04/...t-crash-rates/

Old 04-13-2020, 03:44 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
There definitely does appear to be a lot more speeding and reckless driving. It's set up ideal conditions for Cannonball Run attempts, including a an apparent new record, although it may get an asterisk.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/u...ronavirus.html

But clearly the insurers seem to be seeing less activity overall. twingles has mentioned it, and most insurers are now giving premium rebates.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:47 PM

368 posts, read 294,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I couldn't find the post where I was talking with the car insurance adjuster about overall crashes going down, but I just read an article that points to the fact that through all this, the rate of car crashes and injuries/fatalities attributed to them have actually gone up:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2020/04/...t-crash-rates/
From the NCDOT dashboard, the fatal and injury rates are both down in 2020, although this is on a two-month delay (to get data.) I understand that's what more recent data is pointing to as well (I don't have public links available.)

https://www.ncdot.gov/about-us/our-m...ety-rates.aspx

Old 04-15-2020, 11:18 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Really interesting article from a Raleigh resident who also spent time in China during the outbreak:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3...ich-was-better

My favorite quote from the article:

Quote:
One large difference, in my opinion, is the media: Mainstream media here responds to the fear and panic and in ways can perpetuate it, whereas in China you have state-run media showing videos of doctors helping people, with this kind of unifying message. "This is bad, but we can beat this. Be careful, but don't be afraid." It was sort of positive or at least hopeful, but in the U.S., that's just not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary