Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 02:17 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Nobody, not even the president, has suggested just "opening things up". It will be controlled, with many things being modified to reduce crowds. Most of these places will be much safer than going to the supermarket lately, which people seem to love to do.

Everyone seems to think it needs to be all or nothing.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:21 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Nobody, not even the president, has suggested just "opening things up". It will be controlled, with many things being modified to reduce crowds. Most of these places will be much safer than going to the supermarket lately, which people seem to love to do.

Everyone seems to think it needs to be all or nothing.
I think it's more of a reaction to people protesting who think things will magically go back to normal once things start reopening up. Unfortunately many small businesses will still be struggling if they can't get enough customers in to make up operating costs (with occupancy and social distancing requirements). Not to mention people who are scared now of going outside the house.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:21 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
An interesting thread, with common themes we see today.

https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/1251936242834563073

Old 04-19-2020, 02:30 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Way to backtrack and reframe your argument. The bolded is NOT what you said in your previous post...you specifically said masks won't stop the "virus". Plus you're now introducing the nebulous concept of not getting "comfortable" because of wearing a mask.

Anyway, every study I've read has said masks decrease the risk, so therefore its a good idea to wear them, as recommended by the CDC.

Of course that's not what I said in the previous post, because I hardly put any information there at all, and making a general statement. Your reply doesn't surprise me though, you always need to get the last word in, just like that person BC1960.

Anyway, some good information by everyone on this thread.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:28 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
. Most of these places will be much safer than going to the supermarket lately, which people seem to love to do.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with loving it. If you see a middle aged woman sprinting through the supermarket it's probably me. If you can think of another way to get groceries, I'm all ears. it doesn't always work to wait a week or two for pickup or delivery. As far as these places will be safer than the supermarket, I can't think of many places you can move through quicker than a market, so I'm curious about that statement too. I for sure will not be sitting down in a restaurant, movie theatre, gym or any enclosed area any time soon. They can open it but they can't make me go, and I know plenty of people who feel the same way.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm not sure it has anything to do with loving it. If you see a middle aged woman sprinting through the supermarket it's probably me. If you can think of another way to get groceries, I'm all ears. it doesn't always work to wait a week or two for pickup or delivery. As far as these places will be safer than the supermarket, I can't think of many places you can move through quicker than a market, so I'm curious about that statement too. I for sure will not be sitting down in a restaurant, movie theatre, gym or any enclosed area any time soon. They can open it but they can't make me go, and I know plenty of people who feel the same way.
We’ve been doing HT express and it’s been fine so far. We put an order in the same day we pick up. There’s nothing that we can’t go a week without. We still haven’t bought a single roll of toilet paper or paper towels, but we are starting to get low.

I realize every household is different though. I do think a lot of people go to the supermarket cause “eh we should throw a steak on the grill tonight...nothing else to do”. I’ve been tying to avoid that.

Shameless plug for The Butchers Market which is doing online ordering and curbside pickup.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:13 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
We’ve been doing HT express and it’s been fine so far. We put an order in the same day we pick up. There’s nothing that we can’t go a week without. We still haven’t bought a single roll of toilet paper or paper towels, but we are starting to get low.

I realize every household is different though. I do think a lot of people go to the supermarket cause “eh we should throw a steak on the grill tonight...nothing else to do”. I’ve been tying to avoid that.

Shameless plug for The Butchers Market which is doing online ordering and curbside pickup.

Love that place. One of the few places I have found New England style steak tips here (Bivette/Flap Steak) and their wings are great too.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:23 PM

598 posts, read 332,558 times
Quote:
We’ve been doing HT express and it’s been fine so far. We put an order in the same day we pick up.

I looked into doing that a couple weeks ago and there were no available slots in my area (SW Durham). Same with trying to get delivery from Whole Foods. Haven't checked recently to see if that has improved.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:36 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I'm not paying Harris Teeter for that service, especially when there may be subsitutions or things flat out not available. And I doubt people are going to the store to cook a steak on the grill because they are bored, more likely they didn't stock up on food for whatever reason (not paying attention, economics, storage issues) and they need something for dinner. It's not that easy to stock up now.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Love that place. One of the few places I have found New England style steak tips here (Bivette/Flap Steak) and their wings are great too.
Yes - was so happy when I found steak tips there. They're so good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary