Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 08:52 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
That's a brutal way of putting it, but yes, that's part of it. The other part is these stores have nowhere near the capacity to be able to deliver that volume of online orders. People get angry about the face covering requirement for entering stores when you can't buy a mask anywhere. Now imagine that, except now we literally can't get food when the stores are right there, filled with food.
You do not need to buy a mask. You can make one yourself. There are plenty of online tutorials. Next-door has extremely kind people making masks to give to those who are in need of one, and many more people with an entrepreneurial spirit selling homemade masks. There is no reason at this point for people not to have a mask.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:14 AM

598 posts, read 332,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
You do not need to buy a mask. You can make one yourself. There are plenty of online tutorials. Next-door has extremely kind people making masks to give to those who are in need of one, and many more people with an entrepreneurial spirit selling homemade masks. There is no reason at this point for people not to have a mask.
I know that, I was talking about the reactions from some other people and relating that to the idea of everyone not being able to go into a grocery store anymore.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:19 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
I know that, I was talking about the reactions from some other people and relating that to the idea of everyone not being able to go into a grocery store anymore.
Oh, yeah. I do not see that happening at all. Wishful thinking on keeping the undesirables out. What I can see is Wake County doing the same as Durham - everyone must wear a mask in stores.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:53 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
I think major cities with density like NYC, Chicago etc are where they may need to switch to curbisde and delivery only. However, delivery in those cities where it is all high rise building places the delievery people at risk. I do not believe that we have the density here they would close the grocery stores. I agree they may implement some more rules and safety standards to protect workers. That said, I am only doing pick up or delivery and have been for the last few weeks.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:30 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Very few, if any, grocery stores have 1,000 customers in them at any one time, and if they do, they have way more than a few dozen employees. Plus, the shopping doesn't have to be done simultaneously. 15 to 20 employees could put together hundreds of orders over the course of a few hours.

As far as distribution, its the same process as now: curbside pickup.

Anyway, as I said, I don't see this happening, but if it did, it wouldn't be an apocalypse. Although it would be virtually impossible for everyone to get the exact product they want, which would obviously turn people off.
Nobody claimed there are 1000 customers at once. It would be impossible to provide groceries to the same number of people in this arrangement without considerably redesigning the whole supply chain first. I also find it unethical to pay others to put themselves at risk to limit my risk for something that I was previously doing for myself.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:21 AM

806 posts, read 603,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Exactly.

And again, any mask is better than no mask, for the wearer and for the community.

And FTR, by adding a simple paper filter to a cotton mask, your just might have something very effective.
You might find this twitter account and his google sheet on the most protective mask materials helpful. Based on his research seems like if you took apart a furnace filter and used that material with your DIY mask you would have N95 level filtration protection.
https://twitter.com/carlwangyang/sta...84888701829121

Old 04-20-2020, 11:24 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Nobody claimed there are 1000 customers at once. It would be impossible to provide groceries to the same number of people in this arrangement without considerably redesigning the whole supply chain first. I also find it unethical to pay others to put themselves at risk to limit my risk for something that I was previously doing for myself.
I bet current cashiers and other workers would happily shop and deliver bags to trunks. It's safer for everyone.

The problem would be that there would need to be a minimum order in order to prevent people from taking up a time slot for their ingredients for the chili that they happen to be craving. And you can't have a minimum order because then poor people couldn't get groceries.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:27 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Nobody claimed there are 1000 customers at once. It would be impossible to provide groceries to the same number of people in this arrangement without considerably redesigning the whole supply chain first.
How so? its the same amount of groceries going out the door. Maybe I'm not understanding what type of system you're referring to...what i thought was being discussed was simply closing the store to customers, having employees shop for them, and bringing the order outside the store for pickup.

Quote:
I also find it unethical to pay others to put themselves at risk to limit my risk for something that I was previously doing for myself.
Sorry, i'm not understanding this either. One could argue grocery store employees are at a higher risk under the current system with hundreds of customers traipsing through the store.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:31 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
I don't understand the ethical part of your mentality. You having less exposure doesn't mean that the Grocery store employee has more. Whether She checks you out at the cash register or runs your order out to the car, she has the same (really less, in the pickup scenario) exposure to the public. YOU don't, since you aren't rubbing elbows with every other customer.

And Lowes Foods and WalMart and Target and Harris Teeter all have curbside pickup. Target's is free but doesn't do groceries, WalMart requires a $30 minimum order, we've done both regularly long before Covid was a thing, for simple convenience.

The windows for pickup have been further out than they were previously, but not onerously so. And while I certainly don't think Grocery Stores are responsible for a disproportionate share of community spread I do think that the option of pickup is wonderful to help reduce crowds/lines and a boon for people that are more vulnerable.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:25 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
I also find it unethical to pay others to put themselves at risk to limit my risk for something that I was previously doing for myself.
It's far less risky for an employee to bring groceries to your car than it is for them to stand at a register for a hours at a time having face to face contact with people, some of whom are paying by cash or check. If you're talking about them doing actual shopping, they are only exposed to the co-workers they are already exposed to anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary