Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2020, 08:15 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
And we wouldn’t here?

Yes, of course we would - that's why I mentioned Italy as a harbinger. The people who are blowing this off here as no big deal or overblown should look to Italy as what can happen here quickly.

I was responding to the post that seemed to downplay the comparison as Italy has an older population.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:18 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
please read more, and listen to inaccurate anecdotes less ...

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/bu...241025271.html
Well, I know for a fact that this spouse is not quarantining themselves. They have been out and about socializing with people.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:38 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Yes, of course we would - that's why I mentioned Italy as a harbinger. The people who are blowing this off here as no big deal or overblown should look to Italy as what can happen here quickly.

I was responding to the post that seemed to downplay the comparison as Italy has an older population.

Sorry, I missed the point you were making in text.

Agreed

Old 03-11-2020, 09:02 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Sorry, I missed the point you were making in text.

Agreed
No problem! I was super vague...

Old 03-11-2020, 09:47 AM

569 posts, read 341,286 times
Quote:
1. Shale and Oil companies are already looking for a bailout from the Feds (some big dog in the Shale space lost over $2B yesterday)

2. Cruise, Hospitality and Airlines are looking for a bailout (convenient for La Corbata Larga).

3. What ultimately happens here I have no idea, but to your point, given the other factors at play, and the weaknesses inherent in our societal system, we are certainly in a ripe spot for all of that to come together to make it worse.
I believe that Pres. Trump mentioned bailing out shale and hospitality, and neither are a given. Shale went through a similar situation in 2014-2016, and came out leaner and more efficient. If they get into trouble again, the same will happen, unless Trump wants to step in for political reasons.

Congress will decide the nature and extent of support measures. I do think that the Congress will be aggressive with support and stimulus efforts.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:01 AM

28 posts, read 20,577 times
So another fleecing of the middle class to pay for the government's friends...sounds fair to me.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:11 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Well, I know for a fact that this spouse is not quarantining themselves. They have been out and about socializing with people.
If you know for a fact that this family is not quarantining themselves then report them.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:09 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
I believe that Pres. Trump mentioned bailing out shale and hospitality, and neither are a given. Shale went through a similar situation in 2014-2016, and came out leaner and more efficient. If they get into trouble again, the same will happen, unless Trump wants to step in for political reasons.

Congress will decide the nature and extent of support measures. I do think that the Congress will be aggressive with support and stimulus efforts.
Shale is an industry largely living off debt levels that expose them to massive risk - there was a recent write up about why now, with the US being the largest producer of oil, has serious risks from the price/supply war that KSA and Russia just started....which goes above and beyond the "Consumers benefit from cheap gas" positive. The main companies in the Shale space (subcontractors for lack of a better term) are overextended to the hilt.

Of course they will. Bailouts are only bad depending on whose idea it was.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:52 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
I think erring on the side of caution should be the standard, unfortunately our economy is essentially set up on the exploitation of the poor who simply cannot afford time off/unpaid leave/to see doctors. I honestly think we're about to go through it, but I'm a bit of an alarmist and we'll see how it plays out. I feel like all of our weaknesses as a country are about to be laid bare.

Well said! Hopefully the country learns from this.

I just read an article this morning about the fallacies of the US healthcare system. It is the only of the industrialized nations without some form of universal healthcare meaning that a lot of folks are uninsured. On top of that the price of insurance deductibles has doubled for most in the past decade for most of us. The article also emphasizes just how fragmented and greed driven the healthcare system here is. The lack of sick leave/time off that is provided by employers is sub par compared to similar functioning nations is similarly pointed out.

And finally this sobering fact. "The US has roughly 3 general or family practitioners per 10,000 people, compared to 7.5 in the United Kingdom, 9 in France and 13 in Canada, according to a Commonwealth Fund analysis." :/

It's truly a mess. The article is below.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/us/us...rus/index.html

Old 03-11-2020, 11:52 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
If you know for a fact that this family is not quarantining themselves then report them.
There are no mandatory quarantines. So who, pray tell, do you report them to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary