Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2020, 03:50 PM

18,043 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

I'm a proponent of adequate Vit D levels. Mine were really low when tested several years ago so I got those levels up and I keep them up.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:41 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
I haven't heard of any opposition to keeping one's Vitamin D level at a reasonable number. If a small supplement is needed for that, go ahead. I take a small supplement myself. But hypervitaminosis D carries real risk because it can cause hypercalcemia, which in turn causes many problems some of which are serious. Furthermore there was a very well-designed study two years ago that established Vitamin D supplements do not actually change the outlook for bone fractures in healthy, well-nourished people over 50. (People with health problems or poor nutrition may be a different story.) Many GPs/PCPs had been doing blood tests for Vitamin D and, where necessary, advising patients to take supplements based on early indications that higher Vitamin D levels benefited a broad portion of the population.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:46 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I haven't heard of any opposition to keeping one's Vitamin D level at a reasonable number. If a small supplement is needed for that, go ahead. I take a small supplement myself. But hypervitaminosis D carries real risk because it can cause hypercalcemia, which in turn causes many problems some of which are serious. Furthermore there was a very well-designed study two years ago that established Vitamin D supplements do not actually change the outlook for bone fractures in healthy, well-nourished people over 50. (People with health problems or poor nutrition may be a different story.) Many GPs/PCPs had been doing blood tests for Vitamin D and, where necessary, advising patients to take supplements based on early indications that higher Vitamin D levels benefited a broad portion of the population.
Found this when I remembered mistakenly something I heard in my childhood thinking it was about Vitamin D when it's actually Vitamin A that is toxic in high amounts such as in Seal liver (more of an issue for Eskimos) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_D but seems D has some risks as well.

I started taking Vitamin D supplements about a year ago but have not been taking them consistently so good to see there are positive effects.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:58 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I asked my partner (MD) about Vitamin D. He suggests practical things like washing hands, not touching nose and mouth.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Hand washing and not touching your face is always sound advice on avoiding germs and disease.

You should only supplement with D if you are low. I supplement because my doc tested me and I need a little more. If you are low you may be more susceptible to flu and colds. I don't believe there is any evidence that it helps prevent colds and flu if your D levels are normal. A lot of us are low, though, and it's worth getting tested. Adequate Vitamin D levels can also help with mood, possibly with dementia, multiple sclerosis and cancer among other things.

Healthline: The Benefits of Vitamin D
Harvard Health: Taking too much vitamin D can cloud its benefits and create health risks
NIH: Vitamin D Fact Sheet for Health Professionals

Old 02-04-2020, 09:46 PM

530 posts, read 174,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You should only supplement with D if you are low. I supplement because my doc tested me and I need a little more. If you are low you may be more susceptible to flu and colds. I don't believe there is any evidence that it helps prevent colds and flu if your D levels are normal. A lot of us are low, though, and it's worth getting tested. Adequate Vitamin D levels can also help with mood, possibly with dementia, multiple sclerosis and cancer among other things.

Healthline: The Benefits of Vitamin D
Harvard Health: Taking too much vitamin D can cloud its benefits and create health risks
NIH: Vitamin D Fact Sheet for Health Professionals
I tested low a few years ago so I started taking 5,000~10,00 i.u.s of D3 to get my levels up. Ever since then I rarely get colds and when I do, they're very mild and usually last just a few days. When I started taking a gram of vitamin C twice a day back in the 90s it stopped me from catching the flu, something I was prone to getting every year or every other year.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Hope you're not still on that high of a dose. I have a friend who took 15000 IUs and ended up with kidney stones her doc attributed to too much Vitamin D. I take 1000-2000 IUs and that seems to do the trick for me.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:56 PM

I just came down with a cold today, thought it was allergies, but nope, it's a full-on drippy head cold. I don't remember the last time I had one, maybe a couple years ago. I'm quarantining myself. My right in the middle range of normal VitD3 level didn't stop the virus from getting me, I hope it resolves quickly.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

569 posts, read 341,286 times
Voo Doo medicine. Taking flintstone vitamines will not prevent the flu. If this thing from China hits us, it will be bad.

Last edited by Mr. Raleigh; 02-07-2020 at 10:45 PM..

Old 02-08-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
Voo Doo medicine. Taking flintstone vitamines will not prevent the flu. If this thing from China hits us, it will be bad.
Vit D levels are not voodoo medicine. It's an important component to health (cardiovascular, bones, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary