Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 02:45 PM

805 posts, read 523,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I just walked the greenway in Westpark and on the White oak greenway. 50% of the people we crossed paths with apparently can't comprehend what 6' separation looks like. Fortunately, we do and stepped aside. Next time someone walks close to me I'll let out a cough after passing. That should be fun.
I step aside and give people space.

But I’m pretty sure that passing by isn’t a risk. It’s sharing space within 6’ distance over time. I swear I heard the doc at Cooper’s press conference specify being closer than 6 feet for 20 minutes.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:54 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,535,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I step aside and give people space.

But I’m pretty sure that passing by isn’t a risk. It’s sharing space within 6’ distance over time. I swear I heard the doc at Cooper’s press conference specify being closer than 6 feet for 20 minutes.
It's an attempt at mitigation. If you are in someone's close presence for 20 min, there is more a chance their saliva etc will land on you. But if the person walking past you happens to cough just right or spit just right at you, you could still theoretically be exposed. We cant all live in bubbles which is why the 6' guidance is recommended.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:55 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,255,863 times
As if germaphobia wasn't bad enough before this, I can only imagine after

Old 03-25-2020, 03:09 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,190,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Yesterday in the store, as I was having my grocery items rung up and getting ready to pay, this woman came up behind me to put her groceries on the conveyor belt, but she was like 2 ft behind me. They have a sign hanging down from above, at every register, to separate by at least 6ft for social distancing. I got her attention, pointed to the sign, and asked if she would allow me the 6 ft so I can help do my part to stay healthy and hopefully keep others healthy. She hadn't even noticed the hanging yellow sign.
she didn't have any fish tank cleaner in her cart, did she?

Old 03-25-2020, 03:10 PM

6,372 posts, read 5,479,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
As if germaphobia wasn't bad enough before this, I can only imagine after
I will certainly be curious to see how "social norms" evolve after this.

Will a traditional handshake still be a customary social/professional greeting in Western culture months and years down the road?

Will people still hold hands in group prayer/thought/meditation? (In the summer of 2009 when Swine Flu was breaking out I was working at a summer camp in the mountains that technically had a Christian affiliation and thus we would pray at every meal and in the evening Vespers service; in the 50 year before that summer everyone held hands during all of those times; and in the 11 years since they have always "touched elbows" instead).

Will concerts/festivals/huge gatherings be considered "taboo" (this is the least likely IMO)

AND....will working from home be the rule instead of the exception?

Should be interesting.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:22 PM

18,020 posts, read 15,621,154 times
Quote:
AND....will working from home be the rule instead of the exception?
This one will be fascinating to watch. A number of companies, ironically including those that make software to enable or enhance telecommuting, have themselves either not allowed their employees to telecommute as a general rule or companies that used to have telecommute options had removed them as much as possible and forced employees to either move to one of their regional centers and be in the office or get laid off (IBM is one such company that did this). The 'warm your chair in an open office' environment gives managers the illusion of control.

Now that these companies have no choice but to allow their employees to telecommute during this pandemic, it's going to be quite a switch back when this is all over.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:26 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,673,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I just coughed on your keyboard. Just step away. No need to be a jerk.

No need for you to be a dick, is there?

Old 03-25-2020, 03:34 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,190,459 times
Quote:
This one will be fascinating to watch. A number of companies, ironically including those that make software to enable or enhance telecommuting, have themselves either not allowed their employees to telecommute as a general rule or companies that used to have telecommute options had removed them as much as possible and forced employees to either move to one of their regional centers and be in the office or get laid off (IBM is one such company that did this). The 'warm your chair in an open office' environment gives managers the illusion of control.

Now that these companies have no choice but to allow their employees to telecommute during this pandemic, it's going to be quite a switch back when this is all over.
I'm guessing measured productivity will play a big role.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:41 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,052,224 times
Quote:

It will be interesting to watch; but I see it going the other way (and maybe I'll be dead wrong)

"Chair time is productive time" is an idea that should have died in say about 1998 but has persisted because of, and I have my flame suit on, generational differences.

I have been largely a remote employee for a decade, and I've only been in the real world since 2005, so 75% of my working years.

My dad worked 43 years in the shoe industry; at the end, his job was largely emailing production managers in factories around the world what to do. He said, even then, "I couldn't work from home. It would destroy my routine and I would feel less productive".

I worked at the same company he did for 9 months when I got out of college. The number of people whose routine there was "get in between 9-930, check emails until 1030, go to the gym and workout, shower, lunch, emails in the afternoon, some excel work, bounce at 5" was easily 60% of the company. (No wonder they got bought out by a competitor)

The other thing forcing people to an office does is increase overhead; rent, RE taxes, electricity, HVAC, plumbing etc etc etc etc.

I do know this; when I interview at companies even now as I have last couple of months in Raleigh; if they have no established WFH policy, I either completely disengage interest wise, or if the job is super interesting, the salary negotiations are starting 30-40% higher.

If I can do 90% of my job from home and do it well (top 3% performer) , there is no reason for me to be in an office unless its for a team meeting/collaborative workshop time. IM (Slack/Teams), Video Conferencing etc can fill in much of that 10% gap.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:53 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,806,388 times
The state treasurer has tested positive.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/north-car...h-coronavirus/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.