Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 04:34 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
We don’t live in China. I’m talking about the panic that’s setting in here. People were panicked about Ebola, and it never became an issue here. There’s no reason yet to panic about the corona virus. Could that change? Perhaps. But currently, there’s only 2 confirmed cases in the US.
Where's the panic you keep talking about?

There is no panic anywhere. All we're doing to talking about this virus. It's a perfectly normal thing to discuss. Accusing people of panicking is not.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:19 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Where's the panic you keep talking about?

There is no panic anywhere. All we're doing to talking about this virus. It's a perfectly normal thing to discuss. Accusing people of panicking is not.
You clearly haven't been in the FB comments section of the various local news channels. There was panic (not so much now that it's been determined that the local patient tested negative)

Old 01-26-2020, 06:55 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,041 times
Quote:
You clearly haven't been in the FB comments section of the various local news channels. There was panic (not so much now that it's been determined that the local patient tested negative)
I mean no disrespect to you in saying this, but the FB comment section on just about any story posted on that place may as well be the video below.

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/statu...85232136998913

Old 01-26-2020, 07:15 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I mean no disrespect to you in saying this, but the FB comment section on just about any story posted on that place may as well be the video below.
Oh, I won't deny that the FB comment sections are a hot freaking mess, but that doesn't change the fact that people were starting to panic.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:47 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,216 times
Quote:
I couldn't care less about FB and its stupid, childish comment section. I don't waste my time with FB.
I have seen no panic anywhere in real life, in the news or on this discussion board.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Oh, I won't deny that the FB comment sections are a hot freaking mess, but that doesn't change the fact that people were starting to panic.

Agreed. My point was less about "panic isn't happening" and more about "well sure it would be on Facebook comment sections. That's what happens when you give every lemming on the block a microphone"

Old 01-27-2020, 10:25 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I firmly believe this is much bigger than we are being told. China is building a hospital solely for the purpose of housing cases of those affected with Coronavirus.

I’m not suggesting any type of conspiracy theory...just that it is quite possible this will reach pandemic levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
It was about 17 years ago that we dealt with SARS and no one cared to learn their lesson. Unregulated markets and unchecked power seems to be the norm on both sides of the world.

So glad we have just loosened EPA rules and have a guy in power who would sell us all out hum hum check the trade deal with China. We all have a virus that is more disturbing it’s called greed and overindulgence. Happy New Year to The greatest super powers on earth...year of the rat... how fitting that both countries are infested with vermin.
With the SARS outbreak the Chinese government kept too buttoned up about it, denying requests from the WHO for information to help contain the outbreak globally.

It doesn't seem like they're doing that this time around, per the resarcher interviewed this morning on the radio he said they seem much more candid and transparent this time around.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:51 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I couldn't care less about FB and its stupid, childish comment section. I don't waste my time with FB.
I have seen no panic anywhere in real life, in the news or on this discussion board.
Pretty much this. Facebook/twitter/nextdoor are all to an extent filled with a bunch of loud screaming armchair people that like to get riled up with nothing better to do. It's not the best judge of anything.

My office is travel heavy and even with this it's more/less not causing an uproar. It's a concern yes, but it's not causing anyone to flip their lids in chaos.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
With the SARS outbreak the Chinese government kept too buttoned up about it, denying requests from the WHO for information to help contain the outbreak globally.

It doesn't seem like they're doing that this time around, per the resarcher interviewed this morning on the radio he said they seem much more candid and transparent this time around.
Did you see the report that the mayor of Wuhan went to Beijing leadership over a month ago about this outbreak and they sat on it?

I’ll see if I can find it but it read like the Super Bug version of Chernobyl.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:15 AM

6,651 posts, read 5,579,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Did you see the report that the mayor of Wuhan went to Beijing leadership over a month ago about this outbreak and they sat on it?

I’ll see if I can find it but it read like the Super Bug version of Chernobyl.
One of the bad things about the current communist leadership in China is that in order to keep the propaganda machine rolling, they try and limit the bad news/presses. This, in turn, leads to people down the chain only reporting when good things happen and keep their mouth shut when bad things happen in the hopes that they can quietly find a solution without creating any controversy. I don't doubt that this outbreak had been known for some time before it was reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.