Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 08:17 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Oh trust me. I'm not panicking or freaking out. I'm not doing anything any differently than I would any other flu season. But I have come across others who are panicking. Like the colleague I mentioned upthread.

My nephew just told me that we need to be stocking up on canned goods because it won't be long before we can't leave our homes. Unfortunately, he was being totally serious. He listens to his prepper father a bit too much.

Your nephew is wise to stock up on some extra food. Stop mocking him. He's smarter than you. So is his father. So is anyone else who prepares for the possibilities. It hurts nothing to be prepared for the unknown. That's not "panicking". It's the smart thing to do.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:25 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Your nephew is wise to stock up on some extra food. Stop mocking him. He's smarter than you. So is his father. So is anyone else who prepares for the possibilities. It hurts nothing to be prepared for the unknown. That's not "panicking". It's the smart thing to do.
Oh please. "Stocking up on canned goods because it won't be long before we can't leave our homes" is not smart or wise. Its ridiculous and is the very definition of panicking.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:29 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't properly convey what he was suggesting. He's not talking about having a few days worth of food (which IMO is good standard practice). He's talking about large-scale hoarding of supplies. If you think that's normal or smart, we might as well just stop the discussion right here because we're not ever going to get on the same page.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:36 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
They did cancel the Chinese New Year celebrations in Raleigh and Chapel Hill out of precaution.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:05 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Oh please. "Stocking up on canned goods because it won't be long before we can't leave our homes" is not smart or wise. Its ridiculous and is the very definition of panicking.
I refuse to sit on a superior high horse and mock others for how they prepare for any emergency. I'm not the Prepper Nanny. Too many other people are willing and eager to apply for that job.

I have more respect for preppers than I do for the mockers of preppers. Period.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:13 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
I refuse to sit on a superior high horse and mock others for how they prepare for any emergency. I'm not the Prepper Nanny. Too many other people are willing and eager to apply for that job.
The corona virus isn't an emergency in this country, and you ARE sitting on your "superior high horse" and judging those who refuse to give in to the unwarranted hysteria.

Quote:
I have more respect for preppers than I do for the mockers of preppers. Period.
Good for you! I disagree.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:32 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times
The coronavirus has been around for a long time. Yep, it’s dangerous for people with compromised immune systems and chronic conditions. That’s not the majority of us. There are different strains of the virus, but just know coronavirus happens everywhere.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:54 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
I refuse to sit on a superior high horse and mock others for how they prepare for any emergency.
As Edward has pointed out, that's EXACTLY what you're doing to me. I'll take that apology now.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:11 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
You keep saying the same thing. What is your definition of "panicking"???

Old 01-28-2020, 02:33 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
I just received an email from one of our Chinese suppliers. They are extending their CNY time off to keep people home. Transportation is also scaled back there as well. Good call on their part. Also part of the reason why you need to be multi-sourced in different regions these days (besides the political climate with US-China).

And yes, I thoroughly washed my hands after opening the email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary