Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 10:27 AM

846 posts, read 577,838 times

Advertisements

I just changed the air filters in our house. There are six in various sizes. The utility and HVAC manufacturers all recommend monthly changes. The total cost of top of the line filters for our house cost about $130, $20-$25 each depending on size. I bought cheaper filters, total about $25, made by the same company.

So I'm wondering about the payback or savings for monthly filter replacements. $130 is about the same as our monthly cooling and/or heating bill. I guess it does offer lower the energy cost a little, but it would probably require some sophisticated equipment to measure it.

While I favor energy conservation, it seems that the cost of following the recommend monthly filter changes works against me. A year's supply of top of the line (most effective) filters would cost us over $1,000 and I have difficulty believing we would be saving that much money or energy.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 10:32 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,628,132 times
I think changing every 2 or 3 months is usually fine, unless your house is extremely dusty. Its more about indoor air quality, comfort and extending the life of your hvac unit than energy savings.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:45 AM

1,700 posts, read 2,576,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Your thoughts?
There are two schools of thought on this subject.

1) Buy the expensive filters and change them at 4, 5, or 6 month intervals.
2) Buy the low-buck filters and change them monthly.

I choose #2 and buy filters at Walmart, less than $2 apiece. Works for me.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:37 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,354,522 times
If anything you would change the higher dollar filters more often assuming they trap more particles. They would clog more.

Unless you have allergies the main point of the filter is to protect the evaporator from dust buildup. After over a decade of using web washable filters I didn't have a spec of dust on my evaporator. I washed them every 3 months sometimes longer when we no longer had a dog.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:58 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,792,977 times
I buy the middle of the road filters (I found them in bulk, I think on Amazon) and change them monthly. But we have 3 dogs of our own and train dogs who live in our home, so they need to be changed that often. I believe it costs me about $15-20/month, I have two downstairs intakes and one upstairs one. I do only change the upstairs one, where nobody every hangs out, every other month.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:12 PM

16,376 posts, read 12,371,094 times
I buy mid-range filters and change them every three months. I use a service that auto ships them quarterly, so I don't even have to think about when to change them.

I use Second Nature (formerly FilterEasy). Bonus: they're a local company!

Old 01-25-2020, 12:19 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,680,167 times
After living in many houses and in many states, the best is to buy a relatively cheaper filter and change every 3 months. Unless you are doing something in your house that creates more dust/air particles, like air spraying paint in one of your rooms for a hobby, etc.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:23 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,664,660 times
I use the cheapest cloth filter that I can find that has the lowest flow restrictions. Usually just a few bucks more than the cheap fiberglass resin filters. Better air filtration. I do not see how thise green fiberglass strand filters can catch as much dust.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:24 PM

22,646 posts, read 36,614,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I buy mid-range filters and change them every three months.!
Same. $130 a month on filters? Nope.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:49 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 14 days ago)

43,159 posts, read 76,731,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
I just changed the air filters in our house. There are six in various sizes. The utility and HVAC manufacturers all recommend monthly changes. The total cost of top of the line filters for our house cost about $130, $20-$25 each depending on size. I bought cheaper filters, total about $25, made by the same company.

So I'm wondering about the payback or savings for monthly filter replacements. $130 is about the same as our monthly cooling and/or heating bill. I guess it does offer lower the energy cost a little, but it would probably require some sophisticated equipment to measure it.

While I favor energy conservation, it seems that the cost of following the recommend monthly filter changes works against me. A year's supply of top of the line (most effective) filters would cost us over $1,000 and I have difficulty believing we would be saving that much money or energy.

Your thoughts?

$130/month?
Jeeze.... No chance.
Mid-range filters, with 90 day changes. Unless you have multiple dogs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary