Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 09:01 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
The logic of Google Fiber's installation is all about distance from their connecting to the regional Internet Backbone.
(If you think of minimizing the linear feet of installed fiber, radiating out along street edges from several junction boxes scattered around the metro area, it makes sense where they initially said they'd go).
And then they decided the economics of installing fiber-to-the-front-of-the-house was too expensive (especially due to the legal hassles their competitors got the local politicians to drop on them), they decided to achieve more coverage using a different technology. I understand they will now do fiber to the cull-de-sack, and put up an Area-WiFi using new radio spectrum that they bought. This saves the a lot of last-few-feet install costs (which was the highest part of their cost).
So the current fiber to the house is just filling in the last segments of the original plan.

They actually ran about a mile of conduit through my neighborhood and adjacent neighborhoods (and probably a lot more in others) on the main thoroughfare, and came back and micro-trenched on side streets and cul-de-sacs.
I have a coil of fiber buried at the curb. Not sure what is next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 09:04 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRule99 View Post
I used to have AT&T Uverse and switched to Google when the promotional pricing expired. Google TV is way better than Uverse TV. Internet speeds are comparable. AT&T used to have frequent outages. Is that still the case?
20+ months - Our experience with Google internet has been flawless. I'm certainly happy with the price.

Our experience with GoogleTV sucked. Dumped them and went back to DirectTv after 11 months. Even exchanging the damn box was a PITA. (Search for my pp if you want to know why we dumped Google TV.)

Old 01-28-2020, 11:11 AM

81 posts, read 55,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
The logic of Google Fiber's installation is all about distance from their connecting to the regional Internet Backbone.
(If you think of minimizing the linear feet of installed fiber, radiating out along street edges from several junction boxes scattered around the metro area, it makes sense where they initially said they'd go).
And then they decided the economics of installing fiber-to-the-front-of-the-house was too expensive (especially due to the legal hassles their competitors got the local politicians to drop on them), they decided to achieve more coverage using a different technology. I understand they will now do fiber to the cull-de-sack, and put up an Area-WiFi using new radio spectrum that they bought. This saves the a lot of last-few-feet install costs (which was the highest part of their cost).
So the current fiber to the house is just filling in the last segments of the original plan.
Hmmm... That’s interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
20+ months - Our experience with Google internet has been flawless. I'm certainly happy with the price.

Our experience with GoogleTV sucked. Dumped them and went back to DirectTv after 11 months. Even exchanging the damn box was a PITA. (Search for my pp if you want to know why we dumped Google TV.)
What is google charging these days for internet.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:16 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Google is still digging, they have been in and around neighborhoods in various spots. At this point it's not so much about their Internet service (IMO), the real value to consumers is introducing more competition into the market in these areas which will hopefully net better offers from the existing major players, as existing players have been less than willing to do deals in the last couple of years. When Google is a factor they know they have to compete.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:35 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
The only Google plan for new customers is $70 for 1 Gbps. No taxes or fees on that, and it's the same price they've always charged for gigabit. No promos or other funny business, so you know exactly what the deal is.

There used to be a 100 Mbps plan for $50, but they're not offering that anymore. Existing customers on it will be bumped up to 500 Mbps for $55 sometime next month, but that's only for those grandfathered customers like me.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
The only Google plan for new customers is $70 for 1 Gbps. No taxes or fees on that, and it's the same price they've always charged for gigabit. No promos or other funny business, so you know exactly what the deal is.

There used to be a 100 Mbps plan for $50, but they're not offering that anymore. Existing customers on it will be bumped up to 500 Mbps for $55 sometime next month, but that's only for those grandfathered customers like me.
Heck $70 for gigabit is great. I’m stuck with Spectrum here in Florida for $65/mo and that’s for 100mbps down 20mbps up. They have Frontier fiber in certain areas but only 100/100 last I knew for $60. But I shouldn’t complain because there are areas still on dsl or satellite for &40/mo. lol

Old 01-28-2020, 01:57 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Probably easier if you know where you're moving to get a proper answer.

Plenty of areas surrounding Raleigh have fiber from Ting, Centurylink, Spectrum, AT&T, etc.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:13 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,653 times
Just installed a few weeks ago in Cary. Much better than AT&T fiber...neighbors always complained about AT&T outages. No such thing with Google Fiber. I had Spectrum and they were charging me $70 for 70 Mbps. When I called to cancel they offered me 400 Mbps for $70. Gee, why didn't you tell me before?

Old 01-28-2020, 02:25 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Probably easier if you know where you're moving to get a proper answer.

Plenty of areas surrounding Raleigh have fiber from Ting, Centurylink, Spectrum, AT&T, etc.

Not just WHERE you're moving. You need the exact address to get accurate information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary