Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:04 PM

238 posts, read 668,022 times

Advertisements

For anyone that lives in the Woodcroft neighborhood area in Durham, I have a few questions. I will be relocating to the Triangle soon, renting at first, but will start shopping for homes eventually.

If I were to buy a home in the 250K range in Woodcroft:
- What would the typical property taxes and insurance add up to?
- Does this subdivision allow you to add a swimming pool to your property? I see they have a community pool, but my wife and I have always dreamed of having our own private pool (that little kids aren't peeing in!). I drove around and didn't see any homes with their own pool.
- How is the crime in this area? I know parts of Durham are bad and some are good. Has anyone had problems in this area with crime (home invasions, muggings, etc)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 01:19 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,013,391 times
You can find tax value for any Durham property here-
Durham County Tax Bill Application - Search

Durham tax is 1.41% I believe

So if the assessed value of a house is 250k, you're looking at about $3500 annually.

Regarding Pools etc I will defer to MrsSteel...no doubt she will be along shortly.

I live in the area (renting right now) and haven't had any problem with any violent crime like you mention - Durham PD has a Crime Mapper which you can research.

In general, the Woodcroft/Southpoint area of Durham qualifies as the "good" part of Durham, and I quite like it here.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,225,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
For anyone that lives in the Woodcroft neighborhood area in Durham, I have a few questions. I will be relocating to the Triangle soon, renting at first, but will start shopping for homes eventually.

If I were to buy a home in the 250K range in Woodcroft:
- What would the typical property taxes and insurance add up to?
- Does this subdivision allow you to add a swimming pool to your property? I see they have a community pool, but my wife and I have always dreamed of having our own private pool (that little kids aren't peeing in!). I drove around and didn't see any homes with their own pool.
- How is the crime in this area? I know parts of Durham are bad and some are good. Has anyone had problems in this area with crime (home invasions, muggings, etc)?

Thanks!
I don't live in Woodcroft, but I like that neighborhood and the surrounding area. Mrs. Steel is the resident expert and will be a better source of info, but if you do a search on this forum you should find a few past posts about woodcroft. Here is one that includes some pictures from Mrs. Steel. I think it is a great area. Good luck!

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ft-durham.html

Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 PM

159 posts, read 607,745 times
While we wait for Mrs. Steel, here's a link to the Woodcroft HOA site. I think you'll find in-ground pool information on page 14 of the architectural revisions document.

Last edited by Esperanza27713; 04-22-2008 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: to make Ms. Steel a Mrs. Steel! :)

Old 04-22-2008, 02:00 PM

55 posts, read 175,265 times
We recently moved to Woodcroft and while I cannot speak on the pool question (maybe Mrs. Steel can offer her wisdom!), I can offer what I've observed about crime. Woodcroft feels very safe to me. The main road (Woodcroft Pkwy) is well lit at night and I feel completely safe walking alone at night/early morning (but I do have a huge dog with me). I have friends who have lived in the area for many years and the worst thing that I've heard of are a couple of car break-ins where the radio was stolen. I live a townhome complex where the neighbors are really observant about what is going on in the neighborhood and who comes in and out. While that can be annoying on some parts, it does make me feel safer knowing that they are geniuinely looking out for everyone.

Overall we love the area and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Old 04-22-2008, 02:14 PM

It looks like in ground pools ARE allowed! Thanks!

Old 04-22-2008, 02:24 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,040,425 times
Yes, Jeff, in-ground pools are allowed. Just remember that you'll have to submit your plan to the Architectural Review Board before you begin construction.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:59 PM

MrsSteel,

Are there a lot of homes with pools in the development? I didn't see many when driving around.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:10 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,040,425 times
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any homes with swimming pools around here. But then again, it can be really hard to see into people's back yards, what with all of the trees. I can tell you that if you get a swimming pool, you will be extremely popular with the kids on your street.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:30 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,013,391 times
Come to think of it, with all the houses and listings I've looked at, at least 50 showings and literally hundreds of listings in the 27713 and 27707 areas, I havent seen a single personal pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary