Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 02:17 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times

Advertisements

Thanks, good to know.

I have another question vaguely related, concerning a condition I've seen in a couple of spots:

- The left turn at E Chatham Street onto Maynard where there is a gas stand on the right immediately after that left turn

- The corner of Six Forks and Wake Forest Road where the entrance to the Vitamin Shoppe is

If a car is turning into theses places while another car is turning onto those roads, there is dangerously little space and reaction time for turning traffic, and could cause a chain reaction with the rest of the cars turning.

Are these know problem areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 04:00 PM

368 posts, read 294,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Thanks, good to know.

I have another question vaguely related, concerning a condition I've seen in a couple of spots:

- The left turn at E Chatham Street onto Maynard where there is a gas stand on the right immediately after that left turn

- The corner of Six Forks and Wake Forest Road where the entrance to the Vitamin Shoppe is

If a car is turning into theses places while another car is turning onto those roads, there is dangerously little space and reaction time for turning traffic, and could cause a chain reaction with the rest of the cars turning.

Are these know problem areas?
Oh yes. Any time you have a driveway in what's considered the "intersection influence area", it's a problem. The intersection influence area is the part of the road network where vehicle free-flow movements are affected by an intersection, either up- or downstream. For instance, if it's in the area for deceleration, or acceleration (completing a movement) that's a problem.

An example would be an egress driveway that's within the turning lane of an intersection. If it's a right-lane, they might creep out and block it because the thru traffic is queued up past it and they can't get out to that lane. With a left-lane, they dart across three or four lanes trying to get to it, a rather risky move.

Back in the '50s or '60s, gas stations and the like were right up against a corner. "Best visibility" and most expensive site for land, I'd guess. We know now that these driveway locations are the worst, and that we want to get driveways 400'+ from corners of important intersections. The sites you mention are likely grandfathered in, or knew somebody that overruled the engineering and allowed the driveway. Now, unless it has access to other properties, the corner properties might be the worst pieces of land.

The type of driveway matters in terms of how significant the problem is. A full-movement driveway (lefts in and out) will be a much bigger problem than a right-in and (usually) right-out. I'm not too worried about a right-turn into a driveway off a turn, depending on the volume. But, even with better spacing, a right-in driveway like the one into the WalMart shopping center in Brier Creek is going to be a bigger problem, since it's high volume, and the turns are platooned (vehicles clustered together by the signal at US 70.) The Vitamin Shoppe is a lesser problem, even though it's closer, because it's lower volume. (Not that it can't create a problem.)

It's the continual research and data that pushes the access further away from a corner, and also limits the types of movements. Retailers hate it (to them, any restriction will "kill our business", which doesn't work with engineers, but sure influences politicians.)

To me, a traffic engineer, the retailers are still acting as if it's the '60s and '70s. "MUST HAVE" this driveway right at their door (in the worst spot possible for traffic safety), if it's a couple hundred feet down the road, nobody will come to our site. I'd love for most of the retail developers to act like Chick-Fil-A or Cracker Barrel (and WalMart, for the most part.) They know where we are, and they'll find us. (Not that these business types haven't complained in the past.)

Access Management (the control of driveways in the manner I've been describing) rarely hurt businesses, from our research. The ones it does affect are those that are "impulse" decisions, such as gas stations or coffee shops. (If there's a Starbucks on the afternoon peak side of the road instead of the morning, it's a bad location.) What hurts business more is too many traffic jams. (Yogi - Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.)

You can probably tell I get worn down from having to deal with this part of our business. I would say that if you see a problem with a driveway, it was likely forced on the public by the developer going political. Or, as I mentioned, it's a legacy of a different mindset from 40+ years ago. We've had a few clunkers, for sure, but the majority of access issues I come across were thanks to the developer. (And thanks for tolerating a rather long response here to your short question!)

Old 10-24-2020, 12:50 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Not at all and thanks for all the info, I find this kind of thing quite interesting and am sure others do as well.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:35 AM

270 posts, read 379,294 times
I like the jughandles we used for left turns in NJ.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:45 PM

368 posts, read 294,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabster View Post
I like the jughandles we used for left turns in NJ.
The Reduced Conflict Intersections (RCIs, aka superstreets, J-turns, RCUTs) are a similar concept which works better here in NC than jughandles would. The RCI redirects the side street lefts and thrus, whereas the jughandle redirects the main street lefts. Both are used to reduce signal phasing and give more time to the main street flow.

In North Carolina, the predominate development pattern has been the hub and spoke, where the side street wants to get onto the main road to travel to the downtown (and return in the evening, of course.) The RCI facilitates that better than the jughandle, which stops the main flow to allow the side street movements. The RCI will give the main flow ~70% of the green time, where the jughandle will give it about 50%.

The jughandle minimizes the right-of-way on the main street (typically with the appropriately named Jersey Barrier) but maximizes R/W at the intersections. The RCI needs a wider main street R/W, but minimizes it at the intersections (don't need as many turn lanes.)

Old 01-27-2021, 07:00 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
NCDOT is calling the experiment a success. Still only seeing 85% compliance though.

https://www.wral.com/one-year-in-car...cess/19494810/

Old 01-28-2021, 06:41 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
NCDOT is calling the experiment a success. Still only seeing 85% compliance though.

https://www.wral.com/one-year-in-car...cess/19494810/
Based on the times I've come through there, it is hard to believe compliance was 85%. I suspect a good percentage of the people that "complied" wanted to be in they left lane anyway. I'd be interested to see the percentage of cycles there were without somebody in the closed lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary