Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 08:37 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
It's a sign of the times.

Tiny lots make it difficult to stay in compliance vis a vis parking. In this case, the landlord needs to confirm how many residents are allowed, and that might have to have been written into the lease (if legal to do so). If the number of residents is acceptable, then they need to have somewhere to park their vehicles. The development should have been planned with this in mind imho. A remote area for extra cars in daily use.

But you know that probably won't have happened.
Yeah no one is going to park their car "remotely". My neighbor can fit a two SUVs and a smaller car in his driveway alone, and a boat in his garage. It's just people being lazy.

Drive around any planned neighborhood and you'll see issues like this. You just never hope it's the house next door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 08:37 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's just a reflection on where the neighborhood is going unfortunately. We are finally, actively, working toward getting out of here. It's been a good inexpensive place but it feels like more and more owner occupied homes are turning into rentals. We have worked too hard in life to be around this stuff. It's unfortunate because the original folks that are still here are really good. It's the rentals and the worse ones are owned by the hedge funds that got into the business after the large drop.
Our very first neighborhood, Six Forks North, started out as a new neighborhood with young folks moving into their first home. Hubby and I built one of the homes on Longstreet Drive and moved in same time with 12 other couples all moving into their new homes. It was a great neighborhood!

As time moved on, too many homeowners kept those homes as rentals and the neighborhood has suffered because of it. Add to it that back in those days, we had NO HOA. Renters don't often take care of the yard in the same way as a homeowner does.

It has gotten worse, I'm sad to say. As a Realtor, I see it every day. My first time homebuyers can no longer buy a home for $150,000. Add to that, these companies that are buying up our homes, paying cash, to use as investments, as fast as they can.

Many of the "first time buyer" neighborhoods look like crap, today. I hate seeing it.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:26 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
It's just a reflection on where the neighborhood is going unfortunately. We are finally, actively, working toward getting out of here.

It's just food for thought, but if you are working toward moving, that is more incentive than ever to get this problem rectified. If I pull up to a house like that I'm going to pass. I don't want to deal with that day one.

If it were me, I would simply ask the neighbor (or even leave a nice note on the truck) to not park in front of your mailbox because you're not getting mail.

We all know they are in the wrong and they should know they are in the wrong but some people don't. Sometimes you have to do something like point out the obvious with your end game in mind (getting out of there).

Old 02-11-2020, 10:07 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Could you find someone who speaks Spanish to write a note saying "It's is against the law to park so close to someone's driveway" and put on their car? They may not actually be aware of the mailbox, considering they were probably worried about fitting that monster trailer on the street (which I would definitely bring up with the owner--send him that photo--AND the HOA). As far as "bothering the owner"--he is the best one to mention this to them. Start by presuming it's an honest mistake, then if it continues, contact the HOA then police.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:15 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
It's just a reflection on where the neighborhood is going unfortunately. We are finally, actively, working toward getting out of here. It's been a good inexpensive place but it feels like more and more owner occupied homes are turning into rentals. We have worked too hard in life to be around this stuff. It's unfortunate because the original folks that are still here are really good. It's the rentals and the worse ones are owned by the hedge funds that got into the business after the large drop.
That sucks wheelsup. I can relate as I made reference to a similar situation (in the Heritage thread floating round) we ran into where we lived up North. Renters (who lets be honest, generally care less about the property than owners do) were killing the vibe/ambiance/look/feel (whatever term you want to use) where we lived. We, like you, got out before the value of the property was impacted.

I was chastised (maybe I was reading a responding post incorrectly for tone) about the idea that "HOA alone would keep that from happening" like neighborhoods without an HOA can't be nice......which was never my point, but sure.

Hopefully a resolution can be found for you guys one way or the other. I know here in Heritage we have had an increase in "cheesing" cars which are parked on the street. I have no idea if this is some new social media challenge or what. I just know people are bitching about it on Nextdoor.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Could you find someone who speaks Spanish to write a note saying "It's is against the law to park so close to someone's driveway" and put on their car? They may not actually be aware of the mailbox, considering they were probably worried about fitting that monster trailer on the street (which I would definitely bring up with the owner--send him that photo--AND the HOA). As far as "bothering the owner"--he is the best one to mention this to them. Start by presuming it's an honest mistake, then if it continues, contact the HOA then police.
Google translate works.

I reached out to a mulch guy recently who is more proficient in Spanish than English. Typed my message into google translate and had my buddy from Nicaragua read it before sending it to make sure it made sense in Spanish.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:34 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Google translate works.
Google translate will give you the basic gist, but it's always better to have a native speaker read over it (I am a former foreign language teacher). Even just going to one of the General Forums here on city-data and asking for a translation would be more colloquial than a stilted version sometimes spit out by Google translate.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Google translate will give you the basic gist, but it's always better to have a native speaker read over it (I am a former foreign language teacher). Even just going to one of the General Forums here on city-data and asking for a translation would be more colloquial than a stilted version sometimes spit out by Google translate.

Fair enough. I'm just saying its an option and the translation I got from it for an email wasn't completely removed from how a native speaker would speak (per my buddy who is a native speaker).

Old 02-11-2020, 07:55 PM

610 posts, read 745,728 times
The Post Office won't deliver mail if the mailbox is blocked. I had this problem in Florida when neighbors always blocked the mailbox (various ones over the years). I had to go over and talk to them - lucky for me they were either Anglo or their English was good because my Spanish is non-existent.

This is why mailboxes should be by the door like in the old days. That is something I really miss.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:04 PM

20,098 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
It's two adult parents, with an adult daughter, and maybe three kids, can't really tell. Plus they have people coming and going, don't know if it's friends or family or what.

To make matters worse the house across the street rents rooms via AirBnB and also constantly has different cars coming and going.
you're right, time to go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary