Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 11:02 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
January 2000. Zero chance of accumulation. They couldn't stress this enough.
We had 27" in North Raleigh.

Ground temp is irrelevant. It's not June or July.
It's not irrelevant. You're leaving out a huuuuuuuge part of the math however. Snowfall rate.

If the ground is above freezing, which is clearly is, snow must fall at a rate fast enough to overcome melting.

3-4 inches over over an 8 hour period (my weather app which is usually spot on says snow will start tomorrow around 5PM and end around 1AM Friday) is a rate of half an inch and hour. At that rate, snow will melt (on "warm" surfaces) faster than it falls. Even if we get 8 inches, that is still only an inch an hour....

Yes, if we were to get a storm that dropped 2 feet, it would clearly accumulate as the snow fall rate is greater than the melting ability of the relatively warm surface.

Is anyone calling for a major event here? Local or national weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 11:04 AM

270 posts, read 379,294 times
I've waited and waited for snow and so has our daughter. Meanwhile there are daffodils and forsythia in bloom.
We make plans for her 7th birthday party, first big one ever with friends and not just family. Pay the place, buy and order all kinds of stuff..she's sooo excited... and it's this Saturday.
As much as the snow-lover in me *hates* to say it... please don't let it snow!

Old 02-19-2020, 11:06 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
I bought snow tires for my SUV 2 years ago, so don't get too excited. I've already guaranteed no significant snowfall ever again.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:07 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
When was the last time the ground was frozen in this part of NC? That's a completely irrelevant piece of info regarding snowfall in the south.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:11 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Is anyone calling for a major event here? Local or national weather?
NAM had us getting hammered a couple of runs, but no one ever believes the NAM.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:13 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabster View Post
I've waited and waited for snow and so has our daughter. Meanwhile there are daffodils and forsythia in bloom.
We make plans for her 7th birthday party, first big one ever with friends and not just family. Pay the place, buy and order all kinds of stuff..she's sooo excited... and it's this Saturday.
As much as the snow-lover in me *hates* to say it... please don't let it snow!
When we lived in NY I always had my February kid's b'day party in March. Never failed to get a blizzard around the time I WOULD have had her party.

Chances are if we got enough snow to affect Saturday, the place would be closed anyway and you could re-book.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
When was the last time the ground was frozen in this part of NC? That's a completely irrelevant piece of info regarding snowfall in the south.

Let me google that for you.

https://www.iweathernet.com/educatio...-snow-to-stick

Quote:
Again, the key is the snowfall rate, as discussed above, and meteorologists are getting pretty good at predicting heavy snow events from highly dynamic storm systems, particularly those with convective instability and strong mesoscale forcing. So, the next time you’re tempted to say, “it’s too warm for the snow to stick,” just remember that there are very complex atmospheric dynamics and thermodynamics involved. Sure, light snow or snow flurries falling with temperatures of 35º will not accumulate. However, if we’re forecasting heavy snow and marginal temperatures (“around” freezing), you might want to revisit your weather history and consider that some of the biggest snowstorms on record occurred during an otherwise mild weather pattern.
If the snowfall rate is high enough to overcome the ground temp, you can get accumulation with relatively warm ground. If it isn't, you don't.

So again, I ask you sir (or maam)....is anyone predicting snowfall rates of 1.5 inches/hr or more (1.5 inches/hr is typically considered a high rate of snowfall)

/snark

Old 02-19-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
NAM had us getting hammered a couple of runs, but no one ever believes the NAM.

Fair enough. I tend to side with the Euro models (especially when it comes to "events")

Old 02-19-2020, 11:18 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
So again, I ask you sir (or maam)....is anyone predicting snowfall rates of 1.5 inches/hr or more (1.5 inches/hr is typically considered a high rate of snowfall)
Most I've seen for the Triangle is 1-2" total snowfall over the entire event. And even that seems to be pushing it.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Most I've seen for the Triangle is 1-2" total snowfall over the entire event. And even that seems to be pushing it.

Which is basically what I have been seeing too....which is barely even news worthy from my seat.

No one tell BigKahuna, but here is what Meteorologist Don "Big Weather" Schwenneker said on ABC11. Again...shhhhh!

Quote:
Bottom Line: Will it stick around?: No. Friday's weather should melt most of it away and ground temperatures are too warm to allow the winter weather to stick around too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary