Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 01:08 PM

151 posts, read 195,050 times

Advertisements

I see threads for Raleigh development but I wanna keep track on new startups and companies that are coming to downtown Durham. I am more Bull(ish) [:P] on Durham than other areas and I believe it was a lot of potential still.

Any rumors or news on companies/startups/businesses coming to the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 08:07 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...in-durham.html
Quote:
Novus, the new luxury high-rise condos in downtown Durham is set to break ground next month as demolition wraps up on the former bank site where the building will stand.

Old 11-11-2023, 07:36 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Bump

Old 11-13-2023, 03:29 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I wish there were an alternative source which does not have a paywall. Would some kind sould provide a summary?

Old 12-12-2023, 02:04 PM

292 posts, read 371,787 times
Durham has lots going on. Pricing so many out of the market including the small businesses that started the uptick in popularity there. It's sad. I still have a house there and rent it out because I know I'd never be able to buy there again. Development is coming north of downtown too. There is a new industrial park north of Downtown on Junction and Club Rd and several new homes out that way. Out in Treyburn park Merck, Corning, and BioMerieux all have expansions. Out on Fletchers Chapel Rd, down Cheek Rd the houses continue to be built!

Old 12-12-2023, 03:05 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wndsofchng06 View Post
Durham has lots going on. Pricing so many out of the market including the small businesses that started the uptick in popularity there. It's sad. I still have a house there and rent it out because I know I'd never be able to buy there again. Development is coming north of downtown too. There is a new industrial park north of Downtown on Junction and Club Rd and several new homes out that way. Out in Treyburn park Merck, Corning, and BioMerieux all have expansions. Out on Fletchers Chapel Rd, down Cheek Rd the houses continue to be built!
I mean, you're part of the problem yourself. Sell the house to someone that could use it if you don't want to live there full time. All of this real estate speculation hurts those that want to buy and be active parts of neighborhoods.

Old 12-12-2023, 03:37 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I mean, you're part of the problem yourself. Sell the house to someone that could use it if you don't want to live there full time. All of this real estate speculation hurts those that want to buy and be active parts of neighborhoods.
This comes across as an unkind comment. You have no idea why this is being done. The person may be away for a year or so due to a job, schooling, or taking care of family. Meanwhile a home is being provided to the renter. That's a lot different from a big investor hoping to make a bundle as a business investment.

Old 12-12-2023, 03:43 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
This comes accross as an unkind comment. You have no idea why this is being done. The person may be away for a year or so due to a job, schooling, or taking care of family. Meanwhile a home is being provided to the renter. That's a lot different from a big investor hoping to make a bundle as a business investment.

Old 12-12-2023, 04:03 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This comes accross as an unkind comment. You have no idea why this is being done. The person may be away for a year or so due to a job, schooling, or taking care of family. Meanwhile a home is being provided to the renter. That's a lot different from a big investor hoping to make a bundle as a business investment.
Oh please. You have no idea either so get off your soap box. The op is welcome to reply and provide more details but otherwise people are going to reply based on what information they have. The ops post was criticizing popularity and real estate while being guilty of the same problem.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:08 AM

292 posts, read 371,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Quote:
Oh please. You have no idea either so get off your soap box. The op is welcome to reply and provide more details but otherwise people are going to reply based on what information they have. The ops post was criticizing popularity and real estate while being guilty of the same problem.
Yes, I will criticize when landlords double and triple rent and cause small businesses to close. I have 3 acres with a 4 bedroom house on the edge of city limits, surrounded by new subdivisions. Sure, I could sell for a big profit, watch developers bulldoze it, and add to the mass-built subdivision. Instead, I rent it out, for just enough to cover the mortgage and realtor's fees. This means a tenant is living in a 4 bed, 2ba home with a 2-car garage for LESS than the average 1 bedroom apartment. What benefit do I get? It's not vacant and being vandalized and IF my job brings me back to the area, I'd have a home already. Sorry for not providing all of that from the beginning. Durham is being washed of all it's character just as fast as Raleigh and the people that made it possible are getting the short end of the deal. I was and will remain quite active in the community, but it's hard to compete against big developer money. My little 3 acres of trees has more biodiversity and stormwater filtration than all the Bradford pears combined in the neighborhood surrounding me. Have you looked at the city's current record on affordable housing? Developers pay into some fund to keep the poor folks elsewhere and we've yet to use the funding to help anything. With mortgage rates at 8%, those that need housing most are unable to attain it. As long as I have the means to keep my rent artificially low, and protect some little plot of trees, I will. If I end up having to sell, it will come with a protective easement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary