Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2020, 11:51 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,446,880 times

Advertisements

Bought a home in 3/2014 love the house, love the area. A single eyesore single wide trailer was directly across the street. As of this month, the trailer is being torn down and the land was put up for sale.

I currently have a mortgage on my property. Is it possible to purchase the land and refinance both my existing dwelling and parcel, along with the parcel across the street, in a single mortgage? Address numbers are consecutive, we'll say I'm 1000, and property across the street is 1001.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 12:09 PM

1,204 posts, read 781,513 times
Hopefully, the realtors on this forum will chime in.... but as far as I know land loans work differently. Getting a mortgage on a land might be hard, or perhaps even impossible? The interest rates on such loans are also pretty high and the down payment will be too.

Another option is to get a home equity loan to finance your land purchase...but, again, that seems pretty risky to me? If the land was adjacent to your plot, I can see that adding something to the resale value. But, it's across from your property. Who would be attracted to something like that when you decide to sell it in the future? A polygamist? Jk...

Old 03-05-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Hopefully, the realtors on this forum will chime in.... but as far as I know land loans work differently. Getting a mortgage on a land might be hard, or perhaps even impossible? The interest rates on such loans are also pretty high and the down payment will be too.

Another option is to get a home equity loan to finance your land purchase...but, again, that seems pretty risky to me? If the land was adjacent to your plot, I can see that adding something to the resale value. But, it's across from your property. Who would be attracted to something like that when you decide to sell it in the future? A polygamist? Jk...
I feel the same way. I had an inkling that getting a raw land loan with no plans for a house would require something ridiculous like 30-50% down. You might as well buy it outright. If my proposed idea was doable, it would technically have a dwelling in the package - it would just be across the street. In my area, you cannot combine lots once they are divided, but that hasn't prevented people from having a single mortgage for a dwelling with an address that contains two adjacent lots, at least not on the same side of the street.

Since the lot is 10+ acres and "rural enough" to qualify for USDA financing, I wonder if Carolina Farm Credit would take interest in such a deal. But like you, I am eager to hear from some NC realtors who may already have an answer.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:33 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,649,681 times
No, a lender won't do exactly what you're looking to do. A lender *might* give you a mortgage on the vacant lot, if you have a suitable downpayment, can show enough income to adequately pay the new mortgage (in addition to the existing mortgage, other debts, living expenses, etc.) and provide a plausible explanation of why you want the lot, what you intend to do with it, what your exit strategy is, etc.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:44 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,251,200 times
details - like the fact it's 10 acres - are important; more details = more accurate answer.

The simplest thing is to cash out refi on your personal home to buy the land. That of course depends on your value, the cost of the land, your ability to service the (presumably) higher mortgage.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
details - like the fact it's 10 acres - are important; more details = more accurate answer.

The simplest thing is to cash out refi on your personal home to buy the land. That of course depends on your value, the cost of the land, your ability to service the (presumably) higher mortgage.
I did not think of this. That's an idea!

Old 03-05-2020, 01:54 PM

43,361 posts, read 77,261,969 times
You will be more likely to get a land loan from a community bank than a lender who sells their loans.
It will be a portfolio loan.
Yes, in comparison to a home mortgage, the LTV and interest rate will be more stringent.

If you are in a rural area, you might check with Carolina Farm Credit. https://carolinafarmcredit.com/
They live to loan on land.
I mght avoid the cash out refi on your primary home, and go with a HELOC to get cash for the land.
Easier to sell the lot when you can use the proceeds to pay off the second loan.

Old 03-06-2020, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 4,249 times
I would do a HELOC over the cash-out refinance. I have found that the HELOCs have more flexibility than the cash out refinances, especially down the road if you need emergency money. I had shorter turn around times on my HELOCs vs CashOuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary