U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 PM

8 posts, read 20,864 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move to the Raleigh area with my family. We have been looking at Cary. My two boys will both attend Catholic school. I am looking for a "neighborhood school". Does anyone know of a Catholic school in Cary or anywhere in the triangle area that has a Catholic church/ school in a neighborhood? I want to be able to walk/ ride bikes to school. Thanks in advance for any help. We are planning an trip to explore the area soon so I wold like to at least have a place to start.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,245,702 times
St. Michaels in Cary is walkable from Weatherstone and Highland Oaks. Weatherstone is a neighborhood of custom homes built in the mid 1990's and houses sell in the $400s. We live in Highland Oaks (built by Pulte) and it is a newer neighborhood with houses from $400k-$750k. Many families in our neighborhood send their children to St. Michaels and I know some of them walk to school. Both neighborhoods have pools and Weatherstone has a swim team.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 PM

3,193 posts, read 8,018,401 times
You could bike/walk to St. Francis in NW Raleigh if you live in Harrington Grove. It's a huge neighborhood located in a very nice area that is still somewhat affordable for this side of Raleigh. St. Francis is run by Franciscans (shocker) and is a very nice church and I gather the school is good as well, although I don't have first hand experience.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:14 PM

294 posts, read 788,763 times
Apex has an appealing alternative too.

St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church & School is located within the beautiful Scotts Mill development.

Go to google and search for St. Mary Magdalene and Apex....first return should be a link to the church.

Good luck.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:21 PM

168 posts, read 322,721 times
I was also going to say St.MM. It is in a great neighborhood and it is a wonderful school.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:53 AM

2,835 posts, read 6,954,309 times
In Wake Forest there is St. Catherine of Sianna Church and School. School is K - 7th I think. There is an older established neighborhood that surrounds it so there is plenty of homes where one could walk to church and school. Maybe worth a look while in the area. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 AM

92 posts, read 352,695 times
Thumbs up Harrington Grove for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
You could bike/walk to St. Francis in NW Raleigh if you live in Harrington Grove...
I concur with Waterboy. Although we are in NW Raleigh not Cary, Harrington Grove is still right next to RTP. St. Francis is less than a mile away from most houses in Harrington Grove. It's a family neighborhood and we have well-lit streets, a playground, walking paths and a pool. The homes range from about the $170s (for the smaller models) to close to $400. Most of the homes were built in the mid 1990s. We have three large malls within 20 minutes of us and homes are still selling briskly in our neighborhood. Come check us out!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:48 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. How about the Glenwood South area? I have heard the Our Lady of L is nearby. Is it safe for children?

Old 04-24-2008, 09:21 PM

94 posts, read 418,237 times
Our Lady of Lourdes I believe is in Raleigh. It is a Blue Ribbon School. High standards to get in. We where in the are looking as well over the Easter Weekend, and we went by on Good Friday... lots of families. Seems like a grat parish. They are a "feeder" school into Gibbons High School which is also a Blue Ribbon school. Since you have boys, we have a nine year old too - we found out that both Our Lady of Lourdes and Gibbons are into sports - it's a big deal for us. (I'm not sure if that is politically correct to say )

Old 04-25-2008, 06:09 PM

Thanks. I can't wait to go look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary