Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 PM

187 posts, read 803,338 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for any hair salons in the Raleigh, Cary area that may be participating in a 'Locks of Love' or other similar events. My daughter wants to cut her hair and it's long enough to make the 10" requirement needed for a wig for cancer patients. I know we just miss the St. Baldricks happenings around St. Patricks day but I know sometimes in the Spring hair salons sponsor these type of events. If anyone knows of any please pass on the info. That would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 06:40 PM

311 posts, read 887,645 times
I recently 'chopped' my hair and donated 10+ inches to Locks of Love at Salon Moxie. I believe their sister salon, Samuel Cole, also does *free* haircuts (shampoo, cut, style) if you donate to Locks of Love.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:44 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
I don't have enough hair to really pay attention, but I'm pretty sure there was a sign about this program at the Cary YMCA. You might want to give them a call for more info.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:55 PM

104 posts, read 377,095 times
Thumbs down don't give hair to locks of love

FYI, Locks of Love does not make wigs for cancer patients for free. They sell the hair you send in and put it "towards organizational costs" (their words). ALSO, families have to buy wigs from the organization. You should look into it.

Quote:
According to a 2003 report by the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance, in 2002 alone Locks of Love had raised over $150,000 by selling donated hair and had received another $213,000 in charitable contributions and grants, but provided only 113 human-hair and 39 synthetic wigs.
My mom donated 14 inches to wigs for kids. All of their hair is made into wigs that are free to the families.

Quote:
Your Holiday Donation to Wigs for Kids will help us provide complimentary, custom-made hairpieces to children with hairloss in 2008. We are proud to say we have welcomed more than 120 children to our family this year (more than ever before)! Because we do not charge our families, your support means so much! You can donate online through Network for Good or click on Financial Donations to the left and make your gift. If you wish to include an encouraging note to a child, we will pass it along.

Last edited by OhNoMongo; 04-23-2008 at 09:11 PM..

Old 04-24-2008, 06:35 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,570 times
Pantene has a promotion to donate hair. It was on Oprah. You only need 8 inches. Pantene Great Lengths. You mail the hair directly to them.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 17,914 times
Default Check more recent info on Locks of Love

[quote=OhNoMongo;3556345]FYI, Locks of Love does not make wigs for cancer patients for free. They sell the hair you send in and put it "towards organizational costs" (their words). ALSO, families have to buy wigs from the organization. You should look into it.

OhNoMongo, I believe Locks of Love has a good reputation. Check out more recent reports... e.g., Charity Navigator gives them 4 out of 4 stars in both categories they assess: organizational efficiency and organizational capacity (see Charity Navigator Rating - Locks of Love). That report is based on FYE 11/2007. The most recent BBB report (issued 7/2008) shows that Locks of Love's expenses go 1% for fundraising, 12% for admimistrative expenses, and 87% for program costs; in the charity world, that is an excellent breakdown. Locks of Love only met 19 of the BBB's 20 guidelines for charitable organizations, so they are not perfect. However, I still think they are a worthy cause, and I encourage others to donate to them (either their hair, or financially).

Old 04-03-2009, 02:19 PM

214 posts, read 1,001,979 times
You don't need to wait for one of those events, I just went to my stylist a few weeks ago and had them cut about 12 inches off my hair and mailed in my ponytail to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program. All the different programs have directions on their site that explain what you have to do, so you can have your regular stylist cut your hair while it's in a ponytail, place the ponytail in a zip lock bag and mail it off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary