Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 06:13 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
Very high unemployment and not sure most realize we heading in a direction worse than 2008. Banks are going to require higher credit scores with 20 % down...cash crunch so hope all RE agents enjoyed the last 7 years and saved cause it’s the circle game..remember Joni’s song...
Completely inaccurate. I work with banks every day. Their focus is on analyzing and revising risk models to allow them to identify good borrowers who have suffered delinquencies and hardships directly linked to this crisis. They’re not interested in tightening credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 06:39 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Completely inaccurate. I work with banks every day. Their focus is on analyzing and revising risk models to allow them to identify good borrowers who have suffered delinquencies and hardships directly linked to this crisis. They’re not interested in tightening credit.
Until I joined this forum YEARS AGO, I never realized how inaccurate people can be about things they THINK they know but they really do not.

Thanks for the correct information. Not your opinion but KNOWLEDGE that helps us all!

Old 04-15-2020, 07:11 AM

119 posts, read 81,030 times
Default Reply

A house one street over from ours, went under contract in two days for $624k at 1450 square feet. It might be slowing down, but lots of properties in 5 Points have gone under contract at well over 300 a square ft in the last two weeks or so. We aren’t moving and bought 25 years ago, so it doesn’t really concern me one way or the other. I do like to follow the sales/price per square ft. I remember when it hit 100 A ft and people said it was way inflated. They were wrong.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:28 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Quote:
Aw c'mon, let the social media feeding frenzy party on. Common sense and credible information have a way of derailing exciting, emotional exchanges and really, where's the entertainment value in that?

Why, I can recall a time not that long ago (about two pages into this thread) where medical professionals were insinuating that society as we know it was coming to an end. That this virus was going to kill way more of us than predicted and that we should stop living our lives in terms of moving forward on plans and commitments.

Nothing puts peoples minds at ease quite like having confident (and completely anonymous) self-ascribed social media experts spout on whatever topic is currently generating page views. My favorite meme so far was the one where it shows a person sitting at his computer musing aloud that "That's odd: My Facebook friends who were constitutional scholars just a month ago are now infectious disease expert...".

Old 04-15-2020, 10:58 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodsonRamseur View Post
A house one street over from ours, went under contract in two days for $624k at 1450 square feet. It might be slowing down, but lots of properties in 5 Points have gone under contract at well over 300 a square ft in the last two weeks or so. We aren’t moving and bought 25 years ago, so it doesn’t really concern me one way or the other. I do like to follow the sales/price per square ft. I remember when it hit 100 A ft and people said it was way inflated. They were wrong.
back in 1998 or so.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Wow. That's encouraging.

How do you think April will fare?
oh, activity will be way off. But new listings are way off too. If everything is still screwed up in July, I'm sure SOME % of those who find themselves unemployed and have a mortgage will have to sell.

Under contract at end of March was only slightly below March '19 - 4,063 homs vs 4,113 last year. Homes for sale though are down from 8262 to 7315.

New listings last April were 4,900. In half of April now - 1,358

Old 04-15-2020, 11:14 AM

the BEST info is only available end of month, because within the MLS we can't look back at active listings end of March '19 or new listings for March '19 or under contracts as of April 15, 2019.

This *should* be accurate, but nobody has tested the system to my knowledge:

UC 3/31/20: 4,063
Closed since 3/31: 1,334
Pending today:7,816

This would *seem* to indicate to me

(4,063 - 1,334) = 2,729 - homes uc end of March still uc.
7,816 - 2,729 = 5,087 newly uc homes

but I don't believe we've put that many uc in April

or, I could be making an error!

Old 04-17-2020, 02:19 PM

569 posts, read 341,286 times
Quote:
Apparently, banks are "interested" in tightening credit, according to recent reports from the Mortgage Bankers Association:

Mortgage lenders are battling economic uncertainty by raising minimum credit scores, requiring higher down payments, triple-checking employment status and even eliminating certain loan types altogether. As job loss reached staggering heights due to the coronavirus pandemic (more than 16.8 million workers have filed jobless claims in the past two weeks), fear strikes deep among lenders worried that high unemployment numbers will translate into mortgage defaults and late payments down the road.

Chase recently announced that it would raise its minimum credit score requirement to 700 and hike the minimum down payment up to 20 percent, from 3.5 percent. Lenders large and small across the country are following suit. Wells Fargo and US Bank both adjusted their minimum score requirement to 680 (including for FHA and VA loans, which typically feature lower credit-score requirements as low as 580), while Flagstar Bank upped its minimum to 640.

Better.com temporarily stopped offering FHA loans, while also increasing its minimum FICO score for borrowers. They’re still offering jumbo loans; however, they no longer lend to anyone with higher than an 80 percent loan-to-value (LTV) on jumbos. Navy Federal Credit Union also stopped offering FHA loans, with the hopes that they will resume that product in early 2021, “but that’s not fully confirmed at this point,” said a spokesperson for Navy Federal Credit Union.

“Credit requirements have gotten tighter across the board. Lenders are raising credit score requirements by 100 points,” says David Lazowski, regional SVP at Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation in Boston. “We used to do loans down to 520, now we’re up to a minimum 580 credit score, there’s a chance they might go to 700. We hope that doesn’t happen because it will put people at a disadvantage.”

A report from the Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA), the Mortgage Credit Availability Index (MCAI), shows that mortgage credit supply fell 16 percent in March, the lowest it’s been since June 2015. “There was a reduction in the availability of loans with lower credit scores and higher LTV ratios, and the largest pullback came from the jumbo and non-QM space,” said Joel Kan, associate vice president of economic and industry forecasting at MBA. “This month’s release highlights the large retreat from jumbo and non-QM investors due to a sharp drop in liquidity. Lenders are making credit criteria changes to account for the increased likelihood of forbearance and defaults, as well as higher costs.”

Old 04-17-2020, 03:58 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
In slightly good news; Durham County has lifted it's all-out ban on in-person showings. They are now allowed to happen on vacant listings.

Though they still are allegedly only supposed to allow one showing per day. I doubt that will get enforced any more than the all-out ban on showings was being enforced.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:24 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
In slightly good news; Durham County has lifted it's all-out ban on in-person showings. They are now allowed to happen on vacant listings.

Though they still are allegedly only supposed to allow one showing per day. I doubt that will get enforced any more than the all-out ban on showings was being enforced.
Why one per day? If under ideal conditions, the virus can hang around for around three days, then that’s how long it should be, going by the science. Otherwise it’s just made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary