Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2020, 08:13 PM

663 posts, read 1,620,005 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Two of my driveway slabs has a crack through them. 3 years ago i had used ExactJack to raise the slabs to prevent water ingress (they drill and pump some polyurethane material). They had come a second time, since their first attempt had settled. I believe they didn't provide support in enough places under the long slab and raised only one ends.

Long story short, the long slabs has a crack through it, one portion settled about 3/4 inch and there is a jagged edge.

Exploring my options:

1. To me it appears the best option is to raise the broken part that sunk, then patch/fill the crack. Do any of you know who can do this (aside exactjack, they haven't responded to me)?

2. Breaking and pouring the two slabs (16W, 12L) - what would that cost me? And any recommendations?

3. Resurfacing by putting a layer on top? I am not sure if this is even an option.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Driveway repair/resurface/raise - Opinions?-img_20200517_200007.jpg   Driveway repair/resurface/raise - Opinions?-img_20200517_193322.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 09:18 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,585,622 times
following along cause exact jack has never contacted me back as well and I have tried a few time.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:35 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Due to our soil, there are lots of places that do this (see the search below) I assume that Exactjack offers a warranty and you are looking to them. I'd keep trying them if it will be free or suck it up and replace the section if it was me. If it keeps failing, it's likely there see issues going on with the soil underneath or tree roots that will require removal and dealing with the issue then. Also, the lack of caulk in the broken joints isn’t helping by allowing water right to the spot where there is a problem. Have all the joints and gals caulked next time.

And if you end up using HomeAdvisor that’s fine, just be aware that they will charge all the contractors that they send your information money and those contractors will probably call you. I’d recommend only doing that if your serious about using one of them, not because you think HomeAdvisor will give you a general cost.

Edit to add, I agree with Starglow, they really are not bad at this point, unless you just really hate cracks you can wait a good while before needing to address them.

https://www.google.com/search?client...ile-gws-wiz-hp

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 05-27-2020 at 05:16 AM..

Old 05-27-2020, 05:10 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,882,603 times
Those cracks really aren't that bad to warrant further mitigation. I would apply a concrete caulk or sealing compound as a temporary patch to seal the cracks to help minimize water intrusion. The only real fix is to replace the driveway when further deterioration becomes severe enough to warrant full replacement....but in your case that could take many years. Do not allow any heavy trucks to park in your driveway which can cause further damage.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:51 AM

425 posts, read 462,920 times
I'd toss our $5-7 / SF for new SOG broom finish concrete plus some amount to demo the old one. That's based upon what some quotes I've seen from friends doing similar work. Of course, if you have significant subgrade work required to prep for the slab that cost could escalate quickly. The smaller the work, the more it will cost per SF.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:06 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Two of my driveway slabs has a crack through them 3 years ago i had ...
Learn to live with it as it is or do a real basic caulk ^ or patch job (4-6" wide) with fresh concrete.
But if you're willing to spend real money (and/or time) then tear it all out and start over.
Eventually I suspect you'll have no choice but whether you patch it along or not.

Costs? A competent contractor will be there with his crew for most of four days.
(two to demo, grade and set the new forms; two to pour/finish the two slabs)
If he's smart too he'll charge all 5 days of that week to your home.
it'll be worth it.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:10 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Exploring my options ...
Perhaps there is another option. The settling caused a 3/4-inch step. Use a rented concrete grinder ($150) to smooth the step. Follow up with concrete caulk. If you don't want to do this yourself use Craig's List to find a general handyman.

https://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 05-27-2020, 11:37 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times
I would grind down the ridge and the cracks and put a sealant in. That's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary