Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 12:04 PM

222 posts, read 217,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Based on my experience, I think many teachers are working a lot, some maybe even more than they might be if they were in person, but they are not and cannot teach effectively remotely. It's not only been worthless for my kids, it's been detrimental. And I can say with complete certainty there are many many many parents who feel the same way. Just read the public comments for the school board meetings.
I agree. WCPSS has been a disaster with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 12:42 PM

1,326 posts, read 718,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
I agree. WCPSS has been a disaster with this.
It's not the school district. It's been a disaster pretty much everywhere. Teaching for the most part simply can't be done effectively remotely, and "remote learning" was never supposed to go on this long.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:43 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,440,830 times
Maybe a more accurate measure would be the number of families who switched their choice from in-person to Virtual Academy and the number who switched their choice from Virtual Academy to in-person.

Satisfied families don't flood comments.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Maybe a more accurate measure would be the number of families who switched their choice from in-person to Virtual Academy and the number who switched their choice from Virtual Academy to in-person.

Satisfied families don't flood comments.
I think that’s a pretty terrible measure of satisfaction. I wouldn’t assume that everyone who chose virtual was “satisfied.” I’ve heard many reasons such as reducing uncertainty.

And even if you were to assume those that chose virtual were satisfied with remote learning and those that chose in-person were not, that would mean a lot of people are not satisfied with remote learning. Since public schools are supposed to work for everyone and aren’t supposed to be some Darwinian experiment of survival of the fittest, that’s a big problem.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:25 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassakitty View Post
Just so I understand this: you want to withhold pay from teachers who are teaching kids virtually? So you think what they are doing is not work because they are not face to face and in a physical classroom?

I don't think they should jump ahead in any line for vaccination - they are group 3. I think that group makes sense. And hopefully they will be vaccinated by Spring.
Bo is not in favor of withholding pay. They might need to withhold funds. WCPSS can spend those however they can revise their budget.

I am just a big proponent of following fact and science.

I can't fathom how we need to spend $150B to reopen schools. That's:

20% of a year's total annual spending (ie, all sources).
$1.5MM per public school.
$3,000 per student

Old 01-27-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Bo is not in favor of withholding pay. They might need to withhold funds. WCPSS can spend those however they can revise their budget.
Noted! Although I can’t edit. That was mostly hyperbole on my part anyway.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:34 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I think that’s a pretty terrible measure of satisfaction. I wouldn’t assume that everyone who chose virtual was “satisfied.” I’ve heard many reasons such as reducing uncertainty.

And even if you were to assume those that chose virtual were satisfied with remote learning and those that chose in-person were not, that would mean a lot of people are not satisfied with remote learning. Since public schools are supposed to work for everyone and aren’t supposed to be some Darwinian experiment of survival of the fittest, that’s a big problem.
I said SWITCHED, not chose.

I am in favor of in-person instruction. It is far superior to remote. I’ve noticed that a lot of people here want to speak it into existence instead of doing the work that needs to be done to make it happen. That’s it.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I said SWITCHED, not chose.

I am in favor of in-person instruction. It is far superior to remote. I’ve noticed that a lot of people here want to speak it into existence instead of doing the work that needs to be done to make it happen. That’s it.
How do you know what people are doing outside of complaining here? And what work do you want them to be doing?

Also, it was your last sentence about satisfied families not flooding comments that did make it seem like you were trivializing those that are not satisfied.

Old 01-27-2021, 02:01 PM

805 posts, read 521,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
how many K-5 teachers caught Covid in the classroom from late Oct - December?

we know we didn't shut it down already in 2021 because of cases in schools. We shut it down because of overall spread, and especially hospital usage.

Do you think the Wake County teachers would agree to K-5 + cohorts for MS/HS until they get their 1st shot? 2nd shot? 2 weeks after 2nd shot?
I don’t think k-5 should be plan A. Period. None of the research says that’s safe. The CDC, Fauci, the ABC collaborative, etc all factor in social distancing.

I think WCPSS teachers will show up for whatever. I showed up, even though I wasn’t sure it was safe. Teachers will advocate loudly for safety, but most of us will show up.

Technically, we “shut down” (I personally was in classes with students for 4.5 hours today, so doesn’t feel like “shut down” is the correct term) because of forced quarantines due to exposures in the community and inside schools. It turns out that, during a pandemic, it’s hard to keep the schools staffed with unexposed adults.

If we could work post-vaccine regardless of exposure, I do think that would help.

Old 01-27-2021, 02:14 PM

805 posts, read 521,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
...and how many sub requests have their been? How many of those were in-person versus virtual academy?
All of these stats were laid out in the school board meeting when they decided to go remote after winter break.

When subs are not available, teachers cover each other’s classes. This was true pre-covid (schools regularly have teachers out without subs due to no sub picking up the job). The incidence of teachers out without subs went way up after Thanksgiving, and the risks of covering another teacher’s class also went way up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary