Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2021, 06:18 AM

805 posts, read 524,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
A cluster is two or more people. One tiny cluster in 116 elementary schools is not unsafe in my opinion, and I consider myself risk adverse.

WCPSS is enormous, and the way they report cases on their “dashboard” (a single excel spreadsheet), does nothing to assist in lowering people’s fear. It does the exact opposite.
That’s not the definition of a cluster per WCPSS, lolz

“Clusters, which are defined as 5 or more linked cases, are confirmed by Wake County Public Health.“

https://www.wcpss.net/Page/46759

If we disregard definitions, research and recommendations, everything is fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 06:21 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
WCPSS sat around and did nothing last spring,last summer and continue to do nothing. They are the living embodiment of inertia. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest. It’s like NOTHING happens till they come together for a board meeting and then there’s no plan. I am so completely over WCPSS. It is unreal a district this big in a highly educated area of the country like this gets away with what they do.
This is so true - it’s so frustrating watching them come together every other week and do absolutely nothing. It’s almost like they’re waiting for Covid to just disappear. We had candidates this year with much better leadership skills, but we only elected one. Sutton is not a great chair, and Mahaffey will be absolutely terrible.

At this point they should be meeting weekly and starting to plan for next year. We can’t continue giving parents 1-2 weeks notice on major life interruptions. I want to know the plan for next year - will they have virtual academy to appease those that still are anxious? If so, when are they going to start hiring teachers because if they don’t the onsite classes are going to be enormous. Where is the money going to come from to hire these teachers? What are the thresholds where schools can stop doing safety protocols? Surely we’re not going to do useless temp checks and not allow kids to talk at lunch forever.

They need to come up with actual hard thresholds and a plan based on facts and not how the board members feel on any given week. It’s not going to happen overnight and right now they are doing absolutely nothing. The days of grace and patience can’t go on forever.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:32 AM

4,553 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
WCPSS sat around and did nothing last spring,last summer and continue to do nothing. They are the living embodiment of inertia. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest. It’s like NOTHING happens till they come together for a board meeting and then there’s no plan. I am so completely over WCPSS. It is unreal a district this big in a highly educated area of the country like this gets away with what they do.
Absolutely correct, especially your last line.

And I'm really surprised the vote was this much of a majority 8-1. But that's probably just due to so much pressure from everyone (Cooper, Cohen, school officials from the state, parents and kids).

Old 02-04-2021, 06:35 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
If we disregard definitions, research and recommendations, everything is fine!
There are a lot of recommendations our there, but it seems WCPSS should be trying to follow the state ones. How do you propose WCPSS follow the recommendations of the state to get students, particularly K-5 students, back in school every day? Are you suggesting that can be done with 6 ft social distancing or that they should only go back in cohorts which would reduce in-person days? If it's the latter, why do you think WCPSS should disregard the state recommendations which Cooper and Cohen support and helped develop based on all the scientific evidence that's available?

Last edited by ITB_OG; 02-04-2021 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: Cooper not Copper lol

Old 02-04-2021, 09:19 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
This is so true - it’s so frustrating watching them come together every other week and do absolutely nothing. It’s almost like they’re waiting for Covid to just disappear. We had candidates this year with much better leadership skills, but we only elected one. Sutton is not a great chair, and Mahaffey will be absolutely terrible.

At this point they should be meeting weekly and starting to plan for next year. We can’t continue giving parents 1-2 weeks notice on major life interruptions. I want to know the plan for next year - will they have virtual academy to appease those that still are anxious? If so, when are they going to start hiring teachers because if they don’t the onsite classes are going to be enormous. Where is the money going to come from to hire these teachers? What are the thresholds where schools can stop doing safety protocols? Surely we’re not going to do useless temp checks and not allow kids to talk at lunch forever.

They need to come up with actual hard thresholds and a plan based on facts and not how the board members feel on any given week. It’s not going to happen overnight and right now they are doing absolutely nothing. The days of grace and patience can’t go on forever.
And do they not realize how many people held back their kindergartners this year, and what's the plan for dealing with the influx next year? THer'es a K-3 class size mandate, what's the plan for that? They've never even asked what peoples' thoughts are for whether people want to go back next year.

I also wonder why no one has considered a system like Gibbons is using - kids are in two groups, they go two days and then switch out with the other group and are remote for two days, with one totally asynch day.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:02 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,503 times
There are going to be a lot of disappointed tweens and teens when they realize that cohort school is just virtual learning on a laptop while seated in a classroom wearing a mask. That's the only way a teacher can manage teaching students in the classroom and at home at the same time.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:22 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
There are going to be a lot of disappointed tweens and teens when they realize that cohort school is just virtual learning on a laptop while seated in a classroom wearing a mask. That's the only way a teacher can manage teaching students in the classroom and at home at the same time.
This is exactly how the principal at my daughter's high school described what it would be like. I wish more people were as candid. It sounds worse than remote instruction or at least not any better. Until students can go back without being in cohorts and/or without simultaneous remote instruction, school is going to be at best substandard and at worst detrimental.

Last edited by ITB_OG; 02-04-2021 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: left off an s

Old 02-04-2021, 11:30 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,503 times
Here's hoping the energy focused on returning to school shifts to working to get all WCPSS staff members who work with students vaccinated ASAP.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:04 PM

4,553 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Quote:
Here's hoping the energy focused on returning to school shifts to working to get all WCPSS staff members who work with students vaccinated ASAP.
It will - once Phase 3 starts, there should be even more doses from Pzifer and Moderna coming.

But again, teachers don't need a vaccine to go back to school. People keep bringing up being in a room for hours with kids. Well, many other jobs require you to meet so many people that may result in more than 15 min of interactive time, and I'm not just talking about healthcare.

The entire world is getting back to work and these teachers unions are acting ridiculous. Since when did your job become the most dangerous in the world?

If you read some of the twitter feeds on NCAE, they sound like a bunch of self-serving idiots.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:18 PM

805 posts, read 524,498 times
Quote:
It’s probably not a lot more fun than being at home, but I know for certain it helps. I’ve already had cohorts come through my MS classroom. I’ve seen kids who were getting nothing done at home get caught up quickly.

One student told me that he’d rather stay home, but he gets so much more help at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary